New DB transfer from Houston Baptist!

If this guy sees the field that is not good news for the Gophers

Coming from a powerhouse team in a powerhouse conference he should be ready from the git go to play in the BIG.
I wonder who his contact at MN was. I did not know until today that Houston Baptist existed.

HBU is pretty close to the Galleria area in Houston, just south on highway 59. Most notable former student is probably Colin Montgomerie.

Can't believe some people are so negative about this. If you don't trust Sawvel by now when it comes to recruiting DBs maybe you should stop being a football fan.

They had an open scholarship, found a guy and added depth to an area where we are thin in experience this year. Recruiting DBs should be the least of our concerns.

Even if your A, B, and C are true, they have nothing to do with one another. This guy being brought in says nothing about current recruiting, and is just taking up an open scholarship. If you wanted to be intelligent, you could say that it shows a lack of 2016 recruiting...but I don't think that is your strong suit. Seriously - you are the worst.

You may want to look at Rivals,Scout,and 247 and scheduled 2017 visits for DB's.You may also want to look at our DB class from 2016.There is no one who looks like they will help except maybe Durr. Do you really think they would have brought this kid in if they felt any of the 6 DB's
recruited for 2016 will help this year? You think it is a here and now case. I disagree.

You may want to look at Rivals,Scout,and 247 and scheduled 2017 visits for DB's.You may also want to look at our DB class from 2016.There is no one who looks like they will help except maybe Durr. Do you really think they would have brought this kid in if they felt any of the 6 DB's
recruited for 2016 will help this year? You think it is a here and now case. I disagree.

Posters are right, you are so widely missing the point. TC has said they are thin this year, which would strongly imply they don't see the new DB recruits starting this year, and probably are looking to RS several if possible.

Then you agree with me, that the Coaches should be commended by picking up an experienced DB that can play several positions, help with depth in case of injury and play on special teams so our large crop of 2016 DBs can have an extra year of strength and conditioning and technique training instead of getting thrown into the mix before they are ready.

I am glad you have finally turned the corner on your hatred of our coaching staff and are starting to realize that they are much better equipped to coach this team and make these decisions than you or I are.

Good for you Ruppert...I feel very close to you right now.

Correct me if I'm wrong - but the Gophs are under no obligation to accept a transfer if they don't want to, right? It's not like this guy said "I'm going to MN," and the Gopher coaches have no choice in the matter.

So, as I see it, it goes something like this. Transfer candidate contacts the Gopher Coaches - says "Hey, I'd like to come to MN as a grad transfer for this fall." The coaches investigate his background and performance, and the coaches say "sure, we'd be glad to have you at the U," or they say, "well, we don't think MN is a good fit, and maybe you should look somewhere else."

In this case, the Gopher coaches apparently said "Yes," so they must see something positive in this kid.

It's really a very low-risk situation. The guy will be here for one year. If he can play, it makes the team stronger, and allows more time for younger players to develop. If he can't play, he's only here for one year, and it has no impact on future recruiting or the depth chart.

Again, with lack of evidence to the contrary, I will trust the coaches that this guy can help the team win in 2016.

Posters are right, you are so widely missing the point. TC has said they are thin this year, which would strongly imply they don't see the new DB recruits starting this year, and probably are looking to RS several if possible.

Exactly. Bringing in a player like this gives us depth so we don't have to burn a redshirt if put in that situation. It's a win-win. There is absolutely no downside to bringing him in.

Can't believe some people are so negative about this. If you don't trust Sawvel by now when it comes to recruiting DBs maybe you should stop being a football fan.

Wow is this post spot on.

I'm still waiting to hear how signing a player who will play only in 2016 is affecting 2017 recruiting.

ruprecht has missed pretty much every point ever made...

Then you agree with me, that the Coaches should be commended by picking up an experienced DB that can play several positions, help with depth in case of injury and play on special teams so our large crop of 2016 DBs can have an extra year of strength and conditioning and technique training instead of getting thrown into the mix before they are ready.

I am glad you have finally turned the corner on your hatred of our coaching staff and are starting to realize that they are much better equipped to coach this team and make these decisions than you or I are.

Good for you Ruppert...I feel very close to you right now.

Where did I ever say I "hated" the coaching staff? Go through my posts and find it. I think they're very good coaches on all positions after they got rid of Limegrover and Zembrowski.
I think the jury is out on recruiting. Only Purdue has less commitments then we do. And we're last on scheduled visits to this point in the B1G.. You guys love to fire the poison arrows before you think the whole rhyme or reason out.

Ruppert! understand this, rather than having early scheduled visits, the staff depends a lot on getting kids to attend the camps they offer, so that they can do an evaluation. They work hard at getting Upper Midwest kids to attend the camps. I believe that, they purposely don't set visit dates with kids that they are not sure of, to get kids to attend the camps. By the end of July the visits calendar should look better.

Where did I ever say I "hated" the coaching staff? Go through my posts and find it. I think they're very good coaches on all positions after they got rid of Limegrover and Zembrowski.
I think the jury is out on recruiting. Only Purdue has less commitments then we do. And we're last on scheduled visits to this point in the B1G.. You guys love to fire the poison arrows before you think the whole rhyme or reason out.

Oregon, Kansas St, and Boise St have 2 commitments. UCLA, Ptt, West Virginia and Arizona St have 3. TCU has 4. Auburn, Stanford, and Ole Miss have 5 each. Meanwhile Western Michigan has 17 and Central Michigan has 16.

My point? The amount of commitments you have at this point is pretty meaningless.

Oregon, Kansas St, and Boise St have 2 commitments. UCLA, Ptt, West Virginia and Arizona St have 3. TCU has 4. Auburn, Stanford, and Ole Miss have 5 each. Meanwhile <b>Western Michigan has 17 </b>and Central Michigan has 16.

My point? The amount of commitments you have at this point is pretty meaningless.

Oh great. Recruits are now choosing W. Michigan before we can even offer them. Things are bad indeed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm still waiting to hear how signing a player who will play only in 2016 is affecting 2017 recruiting.

Ok 68.Two part answer.1. They brought this kid in because the 6 DB's they recruited are all candidates for RS, except maybe Durr. They didn't recruit a immediate help player like BBC, or Ace Rogers from the JC ranks. So far in the 2017 class there are no scheduled visits from DB
Looking on 247 of the offers made by Minnesota I don't see one kid that has Minnesota as a favorite at this time. I believe they would not have rolled the dice on this transfer if they had 2-3 DB's on board for the TWO THOUSAND SEVENTEEN CLASS either in commitments, or strong Minnesota leans.So yes, it does concern 2017 recruiting. Thank-you very much.

Ok 68.Two part answer.1. They brought this kid in because the 6 DB's they recruited are all candidates for RS, except maybe Durr. They didn't recruit a immediate help player like BBC, or Ace Rogers from the JC ranks. So far in the 2017 class there are no scheduled visits from DB
Looking on 247 of the offers made by Minnesota I don't see one kid that has Minnesota as a favorite at this time. I believe they would not have rolled the dice on this transfer if they had 2-3 DB's on board for the TWO THOUSAND SEVENTEEN CLASS either in commitments, or strong Minnesota leans.So yes, it does concern 2017 recruiting. Thank-you very much.

I see, you just don't comprehend. Your point one has nothing to do with the 2017 class. This player will play in 2016, and 2016 ONLY. Players who commit in the 2017 class literally cannot play in 2016. The two events are completely mutually exclusive of each other. If you wanted to comment that it means something about the 2016 class, that's at least a defensible (though still completely stupid) argument. Keep digging that hole deeper.

The only way I could see this move affecting the 2017 class (and it's a complete long shot and personally think its a non issue) is if DBs 2nd guess signing with us because we redshirt all the DBs from this class since we added extra upperclassmen depth. The 2017 class might look at the 6 guys and think "geez i'll only have 1 year to start" and choose a different situation where they may get to play more and earlier. The reason why I think this is a non issue is I personally don't want guys joining our team who don't have the mentality that they will have to out work other players and earn their playing time. Players with that mentality can go elsewhere as far as I'm concerned.

On Sports Huddle today, Claeys said the Gophers recruited Amoako when he was in high school, so the Gopher Staff is familiar with him. Claeys also said they wanted a grad transfer who could provide depth at S or CB. said the young kids have talent, but felt they needed a year of development and didn't want to have to rush anyone into the lineup before they're ready.

On Sports Huddle today, Claeys said the Gophers recruited Amoako when he was in high school, so the Gopher Staff is familiar with him. Claeys also said they wanted a grad transfer who could provide depth at S or CB. said the young kids have talent, but felt they needed a year of development and didn't want to have to rush anyone into the lineup before they're ready.

I wish he would have checked with GH first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's pretty simple to me: the Gophers could have 10 DB commitments for 2017 right now and that would have zero affect on the decision to take Amoako.

The only way I could see this move affecting the 2017 class (and it's a complete long shot and personally think its a non issue) is if DBs 2nd guess signing with us because we redshirt all the DBs from this class since we added extra upperclassmen depth. The 2017 class might look at the 6 guys and think "geez i'll only have 1 year to start" and choose a different situation where they may get to play more and earlier. The reason why I think this is a non issue is I personally don't want guys joining our team who don't have the mentality that they will have to out work other players and earn their playing time. Players with that mentality can go elsewhere as far as I'm concerned.

I think at most 3 or 4 of the 6 redshirt. Defensive backs are generally a big part of special teams.

I see, Amoako got Mose Hall's scholie slot.

I think at most 3 or 4 of the 6 redshirt. Defensive backs are generally a big part of special teams.

We only added 3 DBs for the 2016 class: Durr, Thomas, and Winfield. Durr might play, but it wouldn't be surprising to see them all redshirt since we had so many redshirt this past season.

We only added 3 DBs for the 2016 class: Durr, Thomas, and Winfield. Durr might play, but it wouldn't be surprising to see them all redshirt since we had so many redshirt this past season.

You're right. I was looking at an old scholarship grid that hasn't been updated in awhile.

Top Bottom