Reusse: Pitino's program 'profoundly' disappointing? Maybe one day

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Pat:

Considering this public relations bonanza for Kaler, it was astounding to have the university president call out Pitino’s basketball program early in his remarks. He called out recent events and said he was “profoundly disappointed” in men’s basketball, and did so with as close to a sneer as you’ll get from a high-toned academician.

Pitino brought 17 players into the program as recruits and transfers in his first three seasons. Jarvis Johnson was ruled out by university doctors because of what they saw as a health risk.

Of the 16 remaining players, eight — meaning one-half — of Pitino’s recruits have either left the program, been tossed off the team or had significant suspensions:

Daquien McNeil, Josh Martin, Zach Lofton, Carlos Morris, Kevin Dorsey, Nate Mason, Dupree McBrayer and now Reggie Lynch.

All in all, President Kaler, I’d say the men’s basketball program will have to improve considerably to reach the level of a profound disappointment.

http://www.startribune.com/richard-...oundly-disappointing-maybe-one-day/379474061/

Go Gophers!!

Sportswriters in the tc a profound disappointment?. Yes absolutely.

Is what he wrote new? We get it...Pat wants Richard gone. No surprise.

What he wrote then was correct.
It matters not what he wrote but what the new AD wants and can afford.
The paranoia about the local sports writers seems to know no end. Their influence is trivial.

He's pointing out facts about 50% of recruits leaving or being in trouble and RPI compared to what he took over. At the end of the day can he x and o to save his job?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Starting to think Pitino will be gone and the buyout makes no difference to Coyle

Starting to think Pitino will be gone and the buyout makes no difference to Coyle

I just hope he makes a decision by 5/31. Because if he fires Pitino, absolutely not renewing my season tickets. I'm sure that sounds weird, but I still have hope for this season with Pitino coaching. Firing him almost ensures another restart of the rebuilding process and just can't fathom paying for that again.

I'm with ya Scher. But every AD wants their coach in place. Just like when Claeys took over and fired Z and Lime. Better do it your way before you're the one looking for a new job. I hope RP gets one more shot but I'm beginning to doubt it's gonna happen.

I'm with you too Scher...

If Coyle does let Pitino go before the ticket renewal deadline, which I doubt 15 days into the job, we not only buy Pitino out at a significant amount of $, but also probably loose our best recruits and really start over. As a season ticket holder that would be a really tough pill to swallow, and I may just give my tickets up also...

If Coyle does let Pitino go before the ticket renewal deadline, which I doubt 15 days into the job, we not only buy Pitino out at a significant amount of $, but also probably loose our best recruits and really start over. As a season ticket holder that would be a really tough pill to swallow, and I may just give my tickets up also...

Its ironic, isn't it? But I agree. Not interested in sitting through a year of Coyle 'making the job his own".

I'm with ya Scher. But every AD wants their coach in place. Just like when Claeys took over and fired Z and Lime. Better do it your way before you're the one looking for a new job. I hope RP gets one more shot but I'm beginning to doubt it's gonna happen.

Oh totally get it and wouldn't blame him if he did that. It's already not been easy convincing myself to renew this year, especially after Lynch. But dealing with another coaching transition year would be tough.

What amazes me is that we were told it would be bad season and for sure it was. Everyone knew this. When it happened it was no shock but the articles by the media just don't stop. We continue to rip on the season we knew it would be but just continue to be negative talking about stuff we knew would happen. We are ripping on pitino because he was right on what he said. He says next season will be good. Can we trust what he says or at least give him a shot? Yes let's just give him a fair shot before we get rid of him. I'm pretty confident rich pitino is our guy and can turn this around. He is on right path. I get the fact that there have been off court issues but if people think that after threesome pitino didn't talk to them after about what happened then you are clueless. I played baseball at the u and we were always informed of this stuff. Bad decisions by individuals. Anyways guys recruiting his ass off and getting better each day as game coach and we have nothing good to say about him. Get over it and see how things go when he says things will be good.
per Pat:

Considering this public relations bonanza for Kaler, it was astounding to have the university president call out Pitino’s basketball program early in his remarks. He called out recent events and said he was “profoundly disappointed” in men’s basketball, and did so with as close to a sneer as you’ll get from a high-toned academician.

Pitino brought 17 players into the program as recruits and transfers in his first three seasons. Jarvis Johnson was ruled out by university doctors because of what they saw as a health risk.

Of the 16 remaining players, eight — meaning one-half — of Pitino’s recruits have either left the program, been tossed off the team or had significant suspensions:

Daquien McNeil, Josh Martin, Zach Lofton, Carlos Morris, Kevin Dorsey, Nate Mason, Dupree McBrayer and now Reggie Lynch.

All in all, President Kaler, I’d say the men’s basketball program will have to improve considerably to reach the level of a profound disappointment.

http://www.startribune.com/richard-...oundly-disappointing-maybe-one-day/379474061/

Go Gophers!!

Its ironic, isn't it? But I agree. Not interested in sitting through a year of Coyle 'making the job his own".

Unless there is another incident or finding I would be shocked if Coyle let Pitino go before the end of next season. The new AD isn't going to want fight the PR blowback of a $7M buyout. It might piss off potential donors and it would end his honeymoon abruptly.

Hope Pitino gets one more year. I feel they have a lot of potential this year (Lynch maybe being out will hurt). I want to see what he does with these guys this year.

If we did fire Pitino the pool of candidates would be limited. Why not be patient, give him another year and if he falls on his face then drop the hammer. What I found most interesting in Reusse's column is Pitino's aloofness with the media. There is nothing this town's sports writers hate more than an arrogant coach.

What amazes me is that we were told it would be bad season and for sure it was. Everyone knew this. When it happened it was no shock but the articles by the media just don't stop. We continue to rip on the season we knew it would be but just continue to be negative talking about stuff we knew would happen. We are ripping on pitino because he was right on what he said. He says next season will be good. Can we trust what he says or at least give him a shot? Yes let's just give him a fair shot before we get rid of him. I'm pretty confident rich pitino is our guy and can turn this around. He is on right path. I get the fact that there have been off court issues but if people think that after threesome pitino didn't talk to them after about what happened then you are clueless. I played baseball at the u and we were always informed of this stuff. Bad decisions by individuals. Anyways guys recruiting his ass off and getting better each day as game coach and we have nothing good to say about him. Get over it and see how things go when he says things will be good.

I did not know that it would be a 2-16 season with two losses to the South Dakota schools. There is a difference between anticipating a rough year and having a historically catastrophic year.

I did not know that it would be a 2-16 season with two losses to the South Dakota schools. There is a difference between anticipating a rough year and having a historically catastrophic year.

I understand the difference and it was worse than I anticipated but to me the "historically bad season" stuff doesn't matter. We knew we would suck and we did. Whether it's 2-16 or 5-13 it means there's no postseason. Only the following year to look toward with hope.

I understand the difference and it was worse than I anticipated but to me the "historically bad season" stuff doesn't matter. We knew we would suck and we did. Whether it's 2-16 or 5-13 it means there's no postseason. Only the following year to look toward with hope.

Also, I understand that it sucks to lose to the neighbors (Dakotas), but we lost to basically everyone. Our record speaks for itself. Losing to the Dakotas doesn't make it especially bad. This past year was the result of two empty recruiting classes ahead of hiring a young coach - so I'm not hung up on individual results from last year. Who knows, maybe I feel this way because I'm out of state.

Also wisco lost to uwm and Marquette this year. It happens on occasion, but hopefully it's just a blip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a combination of factors:
poor on-court results
poor off-court results.

C'mon, people. If WI or IA posted one of the worst seasons in school history; had multiple players leaving program or being suspended; players involved in a sex video; and a player accused of sexual assault - if WI or IA had this kind of year, 99% of Gopher Hole regulars would be on here ridiculing those schools and calling for the coaches and AD's to be fired.

I'm 60 years old, and this is one of the lowest points for the program in my lifetime.

Now, to be clear - I'm willing to give Pitino a chance to see if he can bring this program back. But, he is on a very short leash. One more major off-court incident, and he is gone. As far as on the court, they just need to look like a team. I'm not as concerned with # of wins as I am with seeing a team that looks like it has a plan and is able to execute that plan.

It's a combination of factors: poor on-court results poor off-court results. C'mon, people. If WI or IA posted one of the worst seasons in school history; had multiple players leaving program or being suspended; players involved in a sex video; and a player accused of sexual assault - if WI or IA had this kind of year, 99% of Gopher Hole regulars would be on here ridiculing those schools and calling for the coaches and AD's to be fired. I'm 60 years old, and this is one of the lowest points for the program in my lifetime. Now, to be clear - I'm willing to give Pitino a chance to see if he can bring this program back. But, he is on a very short leash. One more major off-court incident, and he is gone. As far as on the court, they just need to look like a team. I'm not as concerned with # of wins as I am with seeing a team that looks like it has a plan and is able to execute that plan.

All fair points.

The cold hard fact is there are very few decent coaches available at this time of year. Patience is required to keep the program on track with potential recruits and provide the best pool of available coaches. Let Pitino have his season to make the Gophers better and wait for the next shoe to drop (you know its coming). Then you can fire him after the fall signing period when you can bring in a new coach in a time that matches recruiting. Plus, with only Buggs & Springs graduating, the cupboard will be relatively attractive to help secure a decent coach. Retaining Ben might be more of a priority than Pitino by then.

I'm hoping Reggie is never charged and can play. The Gophers finish either .500 in the conference or better and Pitino exceeds his budget again to b let go regardless of whether or not they make the tournament. Musselman is hired and keeps Johnson. This is my dream scenario if Pitino has to go.

I also wouldn't mind seeing him turn it around and stay put!

Now, to be clear - I'm willing to give Pitino a chance to see if he can bring this program back. But, he is on a very short leash. One more major off-court incident, and he is gone. As far as on the court, they just need to look like a team. I'm not as concerned with # of wins as I am with seeing a team that looks like it has a plan and is able to execute that plan.

Sums up my thoughts on Pitino and the current state of the program. I said all through last year's debacle that Pitino needs 4 years and if the program doesn't show improvement then that's all he should get and it's time to turn the page.

+1

I agree wholeheartedly with giving Pitino another year. The media is piling on right now, which tells me we should hold steady for the time being.

i like pitino. one more year for sure.

I find the quality of the Star Tribune to be worse than the Gopher sports programs. The Strib is on a long, long losing streak, featuring a long list of lazy writers. It's sad when the only information I can get out of what should be a major newspaper comes from the ghost writer of a 95 year old.

I just hope he makes a decision by 5/31. Because if he fires Pitino, absolutely not renewing my season tickets. I'm sure that sounds weird, but I still have hope for this season with Pitino coaching. Firing him almost ensures another restart of the rebuilding process and just can't fathom paying for that again.

That's where I'm at. I'm 70 and can't take another rebuild. BTW, I don't tell anyone to sit down. Just wish the avid young true fans in front of me would put their damn phones away and actually watch the game.

poor on-court results
poor off-court results.

C'mon, people. If WI or IA posted one of the worst seasons in school history; had multiple players leaving program or being suspended; players involved in a sex video; and a player accused of sexual assault - if WI or IA had this kind of year, 99% of Gopher Hole regulars would be on here ridiculing those schools and calling for the coaches and AD's to be fired.

I'm 60 years old, and this is one of the lowest points for the program in my lifetime.

I agree with every aspect of your post, SON....there's too much talent in Minnesota not to have a successful program with the right staff and administration.

poor on-court results
poor off-court results.

It would be fiscally irresponsible to fire him at this point even if he has three more incidents. A $7M buyout is just too daunting. One more year is the way to go.

Top Bottom