Let's Go Crazy for End of 3rd Qrt Song? For Prince. RIP.

It's not for you old man, it's for the students.

It's pretty hard to argue, regardless of age, that Let's Go Crazy is lower quality music than Gangnam Style. But it is certainly an argument id love to hear.

And besides, students hate Prince. As is clear by the only people going to Paisley Park and all night dance parties and lighting up the Eiffel Tower purple, etc. etc. etc. is all the doing of those over 70.

It's pretty hard to argue, regardless of age, that Let's Go Crazy is lower quality music than Gangnam Style. But it is certainly an argument id love to hear.

And besides, students hate Prince. As is clear by the only people going to Paisley Park and all night dance parties and lighting up the Eiffel Tower purple, etc. etc. etc. is all the doing of those over 70.

Great point. The overall goal of the 3rd Q music is indeed to showcase quality music. I know Wisconsin really believes jump around is the highest quality song ever written.

Also, most those falling over Prince now (including those kids you reference above) haven't listened to a song of his on purpose in years.

Generally, if you are playing music as a DJ, or a radio station, you do have to pay royalties to ASCAP or BMI. I work at a radio station, and we have to file periodic reports with each service, listing all of the songs we play over a three-day sample period. So, if the U is paying royalties or working though a music service, they should be able to play any song they want.

It's a different matter if you want to use a song in a commercial. at my station, we are not allowed to use a copyrighted song in an ad - unless the ad is promoting a concert by that artist - then you can use a song.

The only problem I have is that Let's Go Crazy is turning into the de facto song of Minnesota sports. The Twins have been using it as their home run song since 2010, and I would wager that the Wild keep it as their goal song in the future.

It's not about quality of music, it's about the ability of the music to excite the students. If it was about quality, they'd play Mozart and Beethoven at every break.

Serious Preposterous Statement contender here...wow.

Great point. The overall goal of the 3rd Q music is indeed to showcase quality music. I know Wisconsin really believes jump around is the highest quality song ever written.

Also, most those falling over Prince now (including those kids you reference above) haven't listened to a song of his on purpose in years.

Really, that's the overall goal?

Are you freaking serious! Gangnam Style's music wasn't even originally written for that Korean rap star. Prince not only wrote the words and the music for all his songs, he recorded most of the instrumentals himself! If he didn't like the way the drummer was playing, he would take the sticks and show hi how to do it.

I swear, rap fans no nothing about music.

qwsm58B.jpg

Are you freaking serious! Gangnam Style's music wasn't even originally written for that Korean rap star. Prince not only wrote the words and the music for all his songs, he recorded most of the instrumentals himself! If he didn't like the way the drummer was playing, he would take the sticks and show hi how to do it.

He is saying that no one can argue that Prince is lesser quality than Psy (or whatever that one hit wonder's name is).

Might want to re-read his post, homie. He said it's hard to argue that the Prince song is lower quality than Gangnam Style.

Gangnam Style isn't rap anyway, so you might want to tone it down.

Generally, if you are playing music as a DJ, or a radio station, you do have to pay royalties to ASCAP or BMI. I work at a radio station, and we have to file periodic reports with each service, listing all of the songs we play over a three-day sample period. So, if the U is paying royalties or working though a music service, they should be able to play any song they want.

It's a different matter if you want to use a song in a commercial. at my station, we are not allowed to use a copyrighted song in an ad - unless the ad is promoting a concert by that artist - then you can use a song.

Thanks for clarifying. I knew that ASCAP/ BMI were involved. The few times I helped DJ's decades ago, they already had documents saying they had this service. All I did was help out with events such as Wedding Receptions.

Reading comprehension is a struggle in this thread, among others, it seems

While an excellent idea, my only question would be, would fans be able to get it out of their head before the game ended, lol. :) I've been singing it for a while now, just because I read this thread.

When students have to make mandatory donations for seating then they can play rape and gangster songs. Cater to the fans that are footing the bill.

Yeah, this makes total sense. Cater to the blue hairs who give the most money and as others have suggested, let's make this a Minnesota only thing! Maybe 'Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy of Company C' by Andrews Sisters would keep the non-student philanthropists happy (when they are awake). Maybe when Dylan dies we can change it to 'Like a Rolling Stone' for those currently in their 60's and 70's. Might keep them from yelling at those Gangster-music listening students to "Sit Down!"

While those of us in our late 40's and 50's may really connect with Prince, I just don't see the stadium all moving and singing in unison to 'Let's Go Crazy' the way that 'Let Me Clear My Throat' currently does. I say leave it as it is and tailor it to the kids, not the donors.

Regardless, if we wanted a Prince song for the 3rd quarter, the obvious choice to get the place electrified is D.M.S.R. Unfortunately that one would never make it past the censors!

Yeah, this makes total sense. Cater to the blue hairs who give the most money and as others have suggested, let's make this a Minnesota only thing! Maybe 'Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy of Company C' by Andrews Sisters would keep the non-student philanthropists happy (when they are awake). Maybe when Dylan dies we can change it to 'Like a Rolling Stone' for those currently in their 60's and 70's. Might keep them from yelling at those Gangster-music listening students to "Sit Down!" While those of us in our late 40's and 50's may really connect with Prince, I just don't see the stadium all moving and singing in unison to 'Let's Go Crazy' the way that 'Let Me Clear My Throat' currently does. I say leave it as it is and tailor it to the kids, not the donors. Regardless, if we wanted a Prince song for the 3rd quarter, the obvious choice to get the place electrified is D.M.S.R. Unfortunately that one would never make it past the censors!

FWIW I am 27 and Prince is my all time favorite artist. I have many friends +/- 3 years my age who love Prince as well.

That said, I'm still a bit over 18 :)

When students have to make mandatory donations for seating then they can play rape and gangster songs. Cater to the fans that are footing the bill.

I would have very few reasons to visit this site in the off-season if not for ruppert's ramblings. I just want you to know that you make me very, very happy. And I thank you for that.

Yeah, this makes total sense. Cater to the blue hairs who give the most money and as others have suggested, let's make this a Minnesota only thing! Maybe 'Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy of Company C' by Andrews Sisters would keep the non-student philanthropists happy (when they are awake). Maybe when Dylan dies we can change it to 'Like a Rolling Stone' for those currently in their 60's and 70's. Might keep them from yelling at those Gangster-music listening students to "Sit Down!"

While those of us in our late 40's and 50's may really connect with Prince, I just don't see the stadium all moving and singing in unison to 'Let's Go Crazy' the way that 'Let Me Clear My Throat' currently does. I say leave it as it is and tailor it to the kids, not the donors.

Regardless, if we wanted a Prince song for the 3rd quarter, the obvious choice to get the place electrified is D.M.S.R. Unfortunately that one would never make it past the censors!

For heavens sake, lets not respect elderly fans who have supported Gopher sports through good times and bad.

The point of the songs is to get the fans to make noise. The old farts will sit on their hands no matter what. Might as well target the kids who will get up, dance around, and make noise and actually support the team on the field by acting like they are enjoying being at the game. Plus I like watching the students dance...

I think what he was trying to say was Let's Go Crazy like Prince's other early work sounds lo fi compared to more contemporary commercial mixes?
Prince all day and all night though if it was me. I would however vote to use the Replacements Taking A Ride for the tunnel music :)

Also Jump Around is the dumbest college football 'tradition' out there. Hey everybody let's jump up and down to some crappy 90s rap song. Not that they shouldn't do it or it is not fun I just think it is completely overhyped for what it actually is. I'm some ways I agree with you we try to copy Wisconsin too much. We should just embrace who we are and go from there.

The University of Minnesota would die to have a tradition half as good as the Jump Around. Watch a game or two and you'll see the 3rd quarter, similar to the 7th inning stretch, is a time to get the fans off their butts and to get them dancing, cheering, and back into the game.

Damn! My reading comprehension sucks!

I'd love to see harder rock songs used more for the entrance music. As I am an old rock and roll type. Unfortunately their is no "Back in Maroon and Gold" song out there!

Prince is from Minnesota and his songs are more suited to sporting events than Bob Dylan's or the Jets. Are there any Minnesota bands out there that are relevant right now?

Okay, so we are discussing a 21 year old song vs a 32 year old song.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Let_Me_Clear_My_Throat

vs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Let's_Go_Crazy

Top Bottom