***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA VS TEMPLE IN-GAME THREAD***

Hard to see the rebounding getting better this year, nothing unexpected there.

Going to be a fun ride though we'll probably be a bubble NIT team.

Lineup of Dorsey, Mason, McBrayer, Murphy and Konate was most effective. Played the best defense and had good flow on offense. Went back to Morris, Joey and Buggs and defensive deficiencies returned.

I have a feeling this season will be a lot like last year...a lot of close losses.

Lineup of Dorsey, Mason, McBrayer, Murphy and Konate was most effective. Played the best defense and had good flow on offense. Went back to Morris, Joey and Buggs and defensive deficiencies returned.

I'd disagree, I thought Konate and Buggs were the best C/PF combo.

Rebounding issues and missing FT's = losses. We had our chances.

When I looked at the stats, the one that was very shocking was the assist numbers. That has to be fixed before rebounding.

Always looking toward next year. Updated guess at the depth chart going into next season:

PG - Mason / Dorsey
SG - Coffey / McBrayer
SF - Fitzgerald / Gilbert
PF - Buggs / Murphy / Curry / Hurt (RS candidate?)
C - Konate / Lynch / Diedhiou

With Murphy playing a lot of back up SF too.

After watching best stretch you guys are right. Buggs came in after 7-0 run and continued run with his play. Joey can shoot and Morris is streaky but they're also inconsistent and definitely lacking on the defensive end. Nothing personal just my opinion.

Gophers can still come out of this tournament with 2 wins

This looks like a team full of guys that will be very good in a year or 2. Buggs looks better than ever and all the frosh are showing flashes.

It's a game of runs, boys blew their collective wod a little too early. Two winnable games coming up. It was hard to get mad watching this game as we kinda are what we are. We forced Temple to make some shots and they did. I thought Konate had a nice game. Mc Brayer and Dorsey played some good D as well. Buggs had an all around nice effort. In these 50/50 games really need King and Morris to provide more senior leadership on both sides of floor.

Basicly no inside presence.

Collected plenty of ft's and made a high percentage.......till the end of game.

I agree, Murphy killed them down the stretch, Temple got three rebound baskets he was responsible for.

I put some blame on the coach. Murphy lost the three rebounds and Konate was on the bench. Konate should have been in the game for Defense and rebounding. Finally after Murphy gives up THREE offensive rebounds late in the game then the coach puts in Konate after the outcome was determined. We are young on the court and on the sideline. I hope they all can get better. It's hard to look forward to next year after game#3

I put some blame on the coach. Murphy lost the three rebounds and Konate was on the bench. Konate should have been in the game for Defense and rebounding. Finally after Murphy gives up THREE offensive rebounds late in the game then the coach puts in Konate after the outcome was determined. We are young on the court and on the sideline. I hope they all can get better. It's hard to look forward to next year after game#3
To be fair Murphy had been our best rebounder coming in. With that said I thought Konate should've been on the floor as well.

I lost all hope after Joey King pump faked an open three, jumped into the defender, and air balled.

I'll be just fine if I never see another Morris "runner" in the lane.

The only one that I truly trust is Mason. Joey King is faking too much as always. I'd rather he take the shot than to try to go into the lane. Morris still makes bad decisions on shooting, and passing.

He usually gets the call on that though, doesn't he?

Not there. He hesitated to jump into him. Like he Only realized he could do it late. By the time he jumped the defender had already moved away.

He either had to just shoot it or jump into him right away. He hesitated. And over thought it.

Overall I was pretty happy with how the Gophers played today. Expected them to be awful and they held their own. Baby steps.

Looked like last year - 6 point lead with the ball and then Kings bad shot - Morris out of bounds, to's, inability to stop 3's. 2 missed fts by Duprey, yadyada... We got to find a way to finish games - we looked very good on the run to get ahead but then... Sick of us giving up more 3's then anyone in the country!

We can't score...not much else matters until you can score. We were even in rebounding. 19 field goals won't win many games at this level. We are not going to shoot 81% from the line too often...we are not going to get 32 attempts and 26 of our points from the line very often.

Konate had 11 that's encouraging. Joey can't have off off days. One rebound and 3 of 9 shooting won't work. Not sure what Morris has to do for some of you? 16 points on 5 of 11 shooting is not horrible.
Remember it's really the first real game for the freshmen...they'll improve. Tough game for them especially to figure out the refs.

Looked like last year - 6 point lead with the ball and then Kings bad shot - Morris out of bounds, to's, inability to stop 3's. 2 missed fts by Duprey, yadyada... We got to find a way to finish games - we looked very good on the run to get ahead but then... Sick of us giving up more 3's then anyone in the country!

Agreed

The style of defense the Gophers play doesn't lend itself to establishing good rebounding position. When you constantly have 3 people running at/chasing the ball, it's hard to get a body on someone. The defense can turn people over,but today it seemed to more often result in allowing open 3's and giving up lots of offensive boards.

Top Bottom