All Things New BBALL Practice Facility

per Sid:

Kaler takes a chance

University of Minnesota President Eric Kaler was asked if he is sticking his neck out to build the $166 million Athletes Village when the project has raised only $80 million for construction so far.

“You’ve got to take some chances every now and then,” he said. “I’m confident we’ll have the funds flow needed to pay for this, and I think our student-athletes deserve the chance to have the kind of facilities that our competitors have.”

Kaler said he was very pleased to see the project move forward, especially thanking the initial donors, and added that the school will continue fundraising while moving ahead with construction.

“We will issue some debt that will be paid for by revenues from athletics and so that will probably play a certain level in the overall project, but we are going to continue to aggressively fundraise,” Kaler said. “We’re going to go ahead with what has been approved within the $166 million budget now, which includes practice facilities for men’s and women’s basketball, football, the center of excellence with our partners Land O’Lakes, and the other pieces that are in that $166 [million].”

http://www.startribune.com/kill-celebrating-gophers-facilities-plan/331896671/

Go Gophers!!

My point is and has always been that the U needed to stop pussyfooting and make a move. Now they finally are doing so.

Thanks GW/ SS13. You are full of shi: and wrong, but keep twisting and manipulating ur BS.

sorry, somewhat newbie poster here.. intro: native minnesotan and alUMNni/former athletics employee living in austin tx for work (not that great BTW) but for those that bash GW all the time, he/she was right about the facilities funding. not trying to become the new whipping boy for y'all, but what exactly was he wrong about?

sorry, somewhat newbie poster here.. intro: native minnesotan and alUMNni/former athletics employee living in austin tx for work (not that great BTW) but for those that bash GW all the time, he/she was right about the facilities funding. not trying to become the new whipping boy for y'all, but what exactly was he wrong about?

The perception of him on the board was that he was cheering against the gophers getting this project done. Not saying that's what he said, that's how I view the back and forth. As with much of what he says, he's right, his tact just absolutely sucks. Not sure what his angle is, gets jolts from ruling up a fan base? Not sure. He could be a positive contributor to this board of he wanted to, instead he's a pariah of sorts.

The perception of him on the board was that he was cheering against the gophers getting this project done. Not saying that's what he said, that's how I view the back and forth. As with much of what he says, he's right, his tact just absolutely sucks. Not sure what his angle is, gets jolts from ruling up a fan base? Not sure. He could be a positive contributor to this board of he wanted to, instead he's a pariah of sorts.

thanks winasota. i will consider this my official welcoming to Gopher Hole :) ps: UT folk are not happy that Shaka didn't land Coffey. and i love it.

He keeps saying "they changed the rules and plan" as if other major projects don't ebb and flow. His tone is as if by changing timing/funding/scope the University is doing something unethical or illegal and we should all join him in uproar. I'm not even sure what his angle is at this point.

He keeps saying "they changed the rules and plan" as if other major projects don't ebb and flow. His tone is as if by changing timing/funding/scope the University is doing something unethical or illegal and we should all join him in uproar. I'm not even sure what his angle is at this point.

He's a chump.

He's a chump.

We're getting it, we're partially paying for it, our programs will greatly benefit from it, we'll increase our profit from it, recruits will salivate over it, Marquette will lose even more recruiting prowess in MN from it and GW will continue to be a whiney bitch about it. What a wonderful thing.

Wonder how long GW will be banned for? It's going to be kinda nice around here.

He's an arrogant prick with a massive ego. He's never given any indication that he's actually a Gopher fan. On the contrary, he becomes obsessed with certain issues (Mbakwe, the facilities, Coach Kill) and actively roots against their success. He's been completely wrong on all of these issues (and others). All the while fancying himself as an insider and dropping absurd, mysterious 'tidbits' of information in an effort to stroke said ego and pimp his blog.

He's an arrogant prick with a massive ego. He's never given any indication that he's actually a Gopher fan. On the contrary, he becomes obsessed with certain issues (Mbakwe, the facilities, Coach Kill) and actively roots against their success. He's been completely wrong on all of these issues (and others). All the while fancying himself as an insider and dropping absurd, mysterious 'tidbits' of information in an effort to stroke said ego and pimp his blog.

I believe you summed it up quite well.

It's a great day! The facilities are on their way in, and GW is on his way out.

GO GOPHERS!

Gopher Warrior is a Marquette fan which is why he has the double meaning name. He probably joined this site around the time Mbawkwe decided to come here so he could track his former player crush. A bonus is to agitate us loyal lifelong Gopher fans.

Never let him back in.

Gopher Warrior is a Marquette fan which is why he has the double meaning name. He probably joined this site around the time Mbawkwe decided to come here so he could track his former player crush. A bonus is to agitate us loyal lifelong Gopher fans.

Never let him back in.

+19

This is interesting. Did he do something specific to get himself banned, or was it a body of work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beats me.

The body of work angle should have been enough long ago.

Can we keep this on topic. A lot of us don't care about GW, but do care about new practice facility developments. Thanks.

How long will the B-ball part of the facility take to build? We need this for recruiting ASAP!

How long will the B-ball part of the facility take to build? We need this for recruiting ASAP!

I think we should reap rewards immediately. Next open scholarships won't be filled by freshman that won't be on campus until 2 years from now. Shouldn't be too difficult to ask those kids to wait one year tops (if that long) to be the first to use a brand new facility.

I think we should reap rewards immediately. Next open scholarships won't be filled by freshman that won't be on campus until 2 years from now. Shouldn't be too difficult to ask those kids to wait one year tops (if that long) to be the first to use a brand new facility.

As long as shovel's are in the ground I would agree with you, if the construction hasn't started the argument that they've been talking about it for tens years now and nothing has happened could be used against the gopher's.

As long as shovel's are in the ground I would agree with you, if the construction hasn't started the argument that they've been talking about it for tens years now and nothing has happened could be used against the gopher's.

Define shovel in the ground...I was down there with my garden shovel over the weekend. Consider the project started.

Top Bottom