GopherHole's Sports Huddle Summary: Coach Jerry Kill - 10/4/15

DL65

Reaction score
Coach Kill’s comments and responses to queries by Sid Hartman and Dave Mona on today’s Sports Huddle.

IMO, Coach sounded very frustrated and subdued in his responses. His answers were short and usually without much elaboration.

1) Sid opened up the segment wanting to know if Kill and his staff had viewed the tape of yesterday’s debacle in the opening of conference play:

Kill said he had looked at the tape, but not with the coaching staff. He said the Gophers were down three and then Northwestern had a big play with a punt return, “and we didn’t respond.”

Kill did not make any excuses about the loss, rather, there were a lot of things that were amiss. His responses throughout the Coach Kill segment were somewhat guarded, as he did not want to single out any one player or position in yesterday's defeat.

His closing comment to the first question was one of frustration as the team tries to correct mental/physical missteps and as the team moves forward in conference play. “A lot of work to do . . . (to) figure it out.”

2) Sid opined the Gophers have slid downhill since the TCU game:

Kill gave a terse response: “We’ve had a lot injuries and different things . . . (Played) the number 16 team in the country (Northwestern) is a good team . . . We’ve had a lot of things happen – no excuses!”

3) Sid brought up his weekly question about Minnesota’s quarterback – Mitch Leidner and now freshman Demry Croft – and its passing game:

Coach Kill did not focus his criticism on any one player, but, rather, the entire offensive team: “On the offensive side of the line (we’re) not executing – one or two make a mistake on every play . . . Bottom line, we’re not playing well.” Coach Kill’s frustration was readily apparent in his comments and response to Sid’s query.

4) Sid asked specifically about the “running backs from Georgia” – redshirt freshman Rodney Smith and freshman Shannon Brooks:

“I think they’re good running backs,” Kill replied. He quickly shifted his comments to the problems in the offensive line, “No seams” for Brooks and Smith to hit and gain positive yards. “Northwestern was better up front,” Kill concluded.

5) Sid mentioned other Big Ten teams that won or that played their opponent tough yesterday as well as their 2015 season, thus far:

Kill’s response was again short and succinct. He said he hasn’t been paying much attention to the other teams in the conference. (IMO, though he didn’t say it, he’s more focused and concerned about the problems that the Gophers are presently encountering, rather than the other teams.) However, he did mention one team that is having success, thus far, which is Iowa.

6) Dave Mona brought up Demry Croft’s name now that Kill has taken off Croft’s redshirt and whether or not he'll be seeing more action:

Coach Kill sounded reluctant when discussing Leidner and Croft at quarterback as well as Croft’s play in yesterday’s game. “I’ll make comments on Tuesday (his weekly presser) . . . (Croft) Put in a bad situation . . . needs reps (and be) ready to play.”

7) Sid wanted to know if any players were injured yesterday and if they expect some of the injured players to return next week:

Two players were injured yesterday - Joe Bjorklund and Craig James. “Craig James broke a bone in his leg,” Kill said. I didn’t catch the nature of Bjorklund’s injury, however.
It didn’t sound good, injury wise, when Kill was talking about the offensive line. Apparently they’re esxpecially hurting at the offensive guard position – “(tackle) Foster Bush went in and played guard.”

8) Sid asked about freshman quarterback Demry Croft:

Kill answered Sid’s question, “I’m not going to make any big remarks . . . We (entire offense) did not play well . . . (Croft) Fourth quarter we played him.”

His concluding remarks: “We need to get healthy.” He also said they need to stay healthy every week when the injured players return – the team's continuity has been hampered because of the number of injuries.

9) Dave Mona asked the day’s final question, which was related to the tight end position, specifically, Lincoln Plsek. Dave also mentioned Joe Bjorklund being hurt:

The news about Lincoln Plsek’s status was not good. “Plsek is out for the year,” Kill said in a subdued and matter-of-fact tone.

Regarding the rash of injuries that have affected the Gophers, Kill said, “Need to be healthy week-to-week . . . We hope we get Jon Christenson back this week.”

Note: My observations - the sound of Kill's voice in his remarks - are solely mine. Body language in responses is very important and helpful, which of course I don’t have via a radio broadcast. So if my conclusions are wrong, I apologize.

Go Gophers!!

The beautiful White Mountains of AZ thank you for your summaries, DL.

Thanks for posting this but there seems to be little gained from tuning-in to Kill's pressers at this point (other than to get some information about injuries). These are not good times and he appears to be hunkered down, defensive, and trying to say as little as possible lest he let the frustration get the best of him.

It's a total waste of time. You can find what Kill says in other places. He never gets asked the tough questions. All Mona and Sid do is protect him. Why not ask about Limegrover?

It's a total waste of time. You can find what Kill says in other places. He never gets asked the tough questions. All Mona and Sid do is protect him. Why not ask about Limegrover?

Probably because they know he won't say anything. What are you expecting Kill to say?

I thought you said you were done with the Gophers after they lost to Iowa in 2012?

I thought you said you were done with the Gophers after they lost to Iowa in 2012?

Well Mr. Sleuth reporter....I am. No longer a season ticket holder after 20 years. Doesn't mean I can't make comments does it? Or are you here to tell people what they can and cannot say?

Thank you!

Thank you DL ! I appreciate the recap and your insight to the tone of the comments.
Just curious where the team is supposed to get direction and confidence from if the coach is depressed, bewildered and unmotivated to even inspire himself an entire day later?
What happened to we got great kids! These kids play their hearts out. We gotta coach better. The injury excuse is getting old. Every guy who gets hurt is irreplaceable. We are doomed. We got 110 players. If the backups are so pitiful we can't win with them, who's fault is that in year 5? Just a whiney, woe is me broken record.
Change your thoughts, change the outcome.

Seems like we could take a step back this year due to many injuries. Unfortunately they happen, and we could still explode next year and maybe this year we will also but injuries are not helping

Thanks, DL. We need a conference win quickly.

Does Plsek still have a redshirt year available? It seems like he played right away as a true freshman but I can't recall.

Does Plsek still have a redshirt year available? It seems like he played right away as a true freshman but I can't recall.

I think you are correct, if not a medical redshirt would be available.

Thanks for the post...see we've still got anger issues with some people here. Injuries have taken a toll clearly. We're not the only team trying to improve therefore many issues involved.

Seems like we could take a step back this year due to many injuries. Unfortunately they happen, and we could still explode next year and maybe this year we will also but injuries are not helping

Agreed. As alluded to earlier, the Gophers will have up and down years. This could very well be one as experienced by injury plagued NW the last couple of seasons. Losing key players through graduation on top of injuries exacerbates the situation with our Offense.

If you look at Glen Mason's and Barry Alvarez' coaching record over their tenure, you'll see that they have dips in the number of wins occasionally. We'd expect Jerry Kill have a few of those dips.

Glen Mason:
'97 3-9
'98 5-6
'99 8-4
'00 6-6
'01 4-7
'02 1-8
'03 10-3
'04 7-5
'05 7-5
'06 7-5
'07 6-7

Barry Alvarez:
'90 1-10
'91 5-6
'92 5-6
'93 10-1
'94 7-4
'95 4-5
'96 8-5
'97 8-5
'98 11-1
'99 10-2
'00 9-4
'01 5-7
'02 8-6
'03 7-6
'04 9-3
'05 13-10

So far, with Jerry Kill:
'11 3-9
'12 5-6
'13 8-5
'14 8-4
'15 3-2 ????????

The Gophers may have a few more loses than the previous year. That is okay as long as the team improves over the cycle of players before they graduate, and the players actually improve and mature physically & mentally.

The Gophers face a conundrum. They need to change the status quo on offense. Do you burn more red shirts to cover the injuries and inconsistencies in play to mitigate loses this season? Do you write off this season and keep most of the red shirts intact?

IMHO, the answer lie somewhere in between. We have five seniors on the offensive line. They may be forced to burn a few more red shirts to develop experience and depth for next year. It is not only the lose of Cobb and Maxx that hurts. Losing reliable supporting casts like Zach Epping, Tommy Olson, Drew Goodger, and players in defense like Cameron Botticelli hurts even more. Injuries make it even tougher for the cohesion of our Offense to launch any offensive plays effectively.

We'll have to see as the season goes how everything unfolds. But, after one B1G game it looks like it is a steep cliff the Gophers need to climb out of. They have seven remaining conference games to figure it out. It may not be totally insurmountable.

I don't think anyone wants to see a 1-6 B1G season. A 4-4 season is more palatable.

It really bothers me that Kill now says he played Croft because he needs a backup w/ experience if the starter gets hurt. So why the hell didn't he play Croft in the non-con??? I think he's bs'ing us. Very disappointed in this staff. Limegrover is way over his head.

It really bothers me that Kill now says he played Croft because he needs a backup w/ experience if the starter gets hurt. So why the hell didn't he play Croft in the non-con??? I think he's bs'ing us. Very disappointed in this staff. Limegrover is way over his head.

Does it bother you that he said it, or that might actually believe it? Because if I had to guess, that was the "let's not throw Leidner under the bus" answer... Result is the same, Croft gets in the game. Not defending the phrasing... Just offering up an explanation.

Does it bother you that he said it, or that might actually believe it? Because if I had to guess, that was the "let's not throw Leidner under the bus" answer... Result is the same, Croft gets in the game. Not defending the phrasing... Just offering up an explanation.

I hope you are right. Announcing a quarterback change to the press on Sunday so that Leidner reads about it there first definitely would be bad form and I wouldn't expect Kill to do that. But I do hope he changes starters.

Thanks DL, Kill better end this huge pity party he has ever week. Man up, answer questions and how about a little optimism. He sounds like a poster on the Gopherhole.

Colorado State was without their best player in a game against the Gophers that went to overtime. We didn't hear anything about that from Coach Kill on his next coaches show. That's not to say the Gophers haven't had (probably more) than their fair share of injuries, but have to be careful about going to far with the injury pity party stuff.

Colorado State was without their best player in a game against the Gophers that went to overtime. We didn't hear anything about that from Coach Kill on his next coaches show. That's not to say the Gophers haven't had (probably more) than their fair share of injuries, but have to be careful about going to far with the injury pity party stuff.

I agree that it can't be THE excuse all year, but it's definitely worth mentioning. Yes, CSU was without their best player that day. But who would you say is our best player? I'd say Murray or BBC. Well, we were without BBC on Sat. Who's our best OL? I'd say Campion, who missed the TCU game. Our top two TE's (starting H and starting Y) are both out for the year. Starting S has missed 4 games. The list goes on and on. This isn't just missing one player for one game...this is multiple starters missing significant time. It sucks. It definitely hurts the team. But you're right that the team (and we as fans) can't wallow in self-pity all year.

Still representing the HAll family I see. Don't think Halsey himself would appreciate your comments.

Still representing the HAll family I see. Don't think Halsey himself would appreciate your comments.

are you representing Goldy Gopher? I happened to be a friend of Halsey's and I think he'd be right with me on my comments. He wasn't a saint like you

Isn't the answer obvious to anyone who watched the first four games?

Because all of those games were close. There wasn't really a good time to give Croft experience when you're in a 60 minute battle to win a football game.

Well Mr. Sleuth reporter....I am. No longer a season ticket holder after 20 years. Doesn't mean I can't make comments does it? Or are you here to tell people what they can and cannot say?

Well your free to say whatever you want, but were also free to call you out on it. Typically when someone says there done, they don't continue to talk about what they're already done with. Anyways sucks about Plesk, having him back would take some of the pressure off the line.

I agree that it can't be THE excuse all year, but it's definitely worth mentioning. Yes, CSU was without their best player that day. But who would you say is our best player? I'd say Murray or BBC. Well, we were without BBC on Sat. Who's our best OL? I'd say Campion, who missed the TCU game. Our top two TE's (starting H and starting Y) are both out for the year. Starting S has missed 4 games. The list goes on and on. This isn't just missing one player for one game...this is multiple starters missing significant time. It sucks. It definitely hurts the team. But you're right that the team (and we as fans) can't wallow in self-pity all year.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't we heard that excuse all year EVERY year Coach Kill has been here?

I get that this team still doesn't have as much depth as it needs, but on the same sense it's year 5. How many more years will it take to build depth?

Because all of those games were close. There wasn't really a good time to give Croft experience when you're in a 60 minute battle to win a football game.

Agree whole heartedly. Also, I'd guess that each week the staff's confidence in Croft has built, allowing them to finally decide he's ready. I personally would start Leidner Saturday but I'd play Croft at least 3-4 drives now that the genie is out of the bottle. If he starts doing well, increase until he's ready to start. But I don't think he's ready to start yet and I don't think learning by getting knocked on his rear every play is going to help him long term, so just having limited game reps is probably a good compromise for now.

Top Bottom