It's Time For a Change

Okay I think most of us are on the same page. I believe it's a complex problem that is mostly based on injuries.

No one is saying to clean house and fire Kill or whatever... But the coaches better wake up and fix it, which I'm sure they will... for a while. That's how it's always been. Every year we have these offensive issues then the offense gets opened up and we go on a nice offensive streak, then it goes back to lame and predictable again. Then we lose a Bowl Game.

"No one" isn't quite right, but...

Okay I think most of us are on the same page. I believe it's a complex problem that is mostly based on injuries.

Are the injuries on offense really that bad though? Yes the TE's are hurting, but I don't think the offensive line is in as bad as shape injury wise as everyone thinks. Lauer is in and out which he was all of last year. Christenson is out but he's been replaced by Bjorkland who started the majority of last year. Otherwise Mayes, Bobek, Pirsig, and Campion were all expected to start coming into this season.

That is a good point, weather guy. The o line has not played well but maybe it's due to execution and some personnel changes need to be made. Are Bush and Hayes still in the mix to contribute?

But there is downside, a lot of it. If you put in Croft and he plays like a true freshman that is not ready yet it could get even worse.

Should tell all of us what the coaches think of the backups when they continue to refuse to put anyone under center besides Limegrover.

No wonder we can't pass with that big dummy at qb

It is a complex problem. Is the OL struggling because of injuries or because their QB can't make a play and teams are stacking the box and sending a lot of guys on the edge making it next to impossible to block them all? Or is it the playcalling that is much too predicable that is making it much too easy for teams to defense them? Or is it just simply a young, inexperienced, injury depleted OL that is weighing down the whole offense? Perhaps it's a combination of the above.

Coach Kill said after the game that much of the problems are on the coaches. He realizes that much of the blame on today's game is on the coaches. The players seem to be of high enough quality to win and compete. And, that reveals just enough to know where the problem lays. It is right on some of the coaching staff for not being ready for the games. End of story.

276c4ad9b92ed7d906ef1b9f931b5765.jpg

Opening drive after big pass from Leidner to Carter and then the next play Woz and Campion ole their guys for a big sack.

Opening drive after big pass from Leidner to Carter and then the next play Woz and Campion ole their guys for a big sack.

This is a good example. Definitely not the expected play call. Almost as if the staff went into a shell to prevent this from happening again.

Coach Kill said after the game that much of the problems are on the coaches. He realizes that much of the blame on today's game is on the coaches. The players seem to be of high enough quality to win and compete. And, that reveals just enough to know where the problem lays. It is right on some of the coaching staff for not being ready for the games. End of story.

First off he is doing what he always does which is protecting the players. However read what you wrote there, if that is actually what he beieves and he doesn't make a change in his coaching staff then he (Kill) would absolutely deserve to be fired. They are paid far too much to not be ready, especially for a terrible team like Kent State. So if the coaching staff can't get themselves or the team ready to play then heads need to roll within the staff. It is not like this is the first time Kill has used the "it's all the coaches fault" spiel.

But we all know that isn't going to happen because of Kill's loyalty to his staff. So honest question that I have no clue what the correct answer is: If the staff is the problem and the head coach won't make changes to the staff to address the problem, what is the solution?

He should have said "No one who has any influence or matters"

I would say people that pay a lot of money for season tickets and everything that comes with it.......money that in-turn pays for coaches salaries, other programs, etc......definitely has a say in what kind of product they want want to see on a fall Saturday (and yes i am one of them).

This is a good example. Definitely not the expected play call. Almost as if the staff went into a shell to prevent this from happening again.
Gophers were marching on this drive until poor execution in pass protection by two guys and had to settle for a field goal.

I would say people that pay a lot of money for season tickets and everything that comes with it.......money that in-turn pays for coaches salaries, other programs, etc......definitely has a say in what kind of product they want want to see on a fall Saturday (and yes i am one of them).

Clearly you weren't getting what GopherWarrior was getting at, but....

Wins and losses matter are what matter. Season ticket holders react to that more than what they want to see on the field

Clearly you weren't getting what GopherWarrior was getting at, but....

Wins and losses are what matter. Season ticket holders react to that more than what they want to see on the field

going to be a lot of bad losses this year in B10 play with this offense.

The announcers said that Croft was taking snaps from Bobek on the sideline during the 4th quarter and thought he would enter the game. I doubt we try to play anything but vanilla smash mouth until conference play. Wish the OL was performing. Next week could be another close game, but we will pull enough out of the hat to win it.

We are not seeing our B1G offense against MAC teams. JK knows the MAC.

The announcers said that Croft was taking snaps from Bobek on the sideline during the 4th quarter and thought he would enter the game. I doubt we try to play anything but vanilla smash mouth until conference play. Wish the OL was performing. Next week could be another close game, but we will pull enough out of the hat to win it.

We are not seeing our B1G offense against MAC teams. JK knows the MAC.

I hate the whole not showing the playbook line of thinking people try to go with whenever the offense doesn't play well. Are we holding things back....of course we are. But at the same time when the game is on the line you are not going to hold back a ton in order to avoid putting plays on film and risk losing the game.

Limegrover is well established as an OC, there is a ton of film on his offense already....Big Ten DC's know what to expect from us for the most part.

I hate the whole not showing the playbook line of thinking people try to go with whenever the offense doesn't play well. Are we holding things back....of course we are. But at the same time when the game is on the line you are not going to hold back a ton in order to avoid putting plays on film and risk losing the game.

Limegrover is well established as an OC, there is a ton of film on his offense already....Big Ten DC's know what to expect from us for the most part.

I'm with you and I don't buy the holding things back. Sure our offense is more vanilla before B1G play but it doesn't change that much. Are the Gophers that scared that they can't show anything on film, because it will be that easy to stop once it is? If that's the truth this offense/coaching staff has some serious issues.

The play calling has been horrific.
The offensive line has been a swinging gate.
Leidner continues to badly under throw receivers.

The offense cannot get any worse than what we've seen the last three weeks. Sure Limegrover and the offensive line deserve much of the blame. But opposing teams are constantly stacking the box, daring us to throw.

It's time for Croft. At this point there is zero downside and only the potential for improvement.

Unless Croft is an offensive tackle, not sure he fixes things right now. As others have pointed out, him getting hurt at this point because of an oline that couldn't open running lanes against Kent State is the bigger issue on offense right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless Croft is an offensive tackle, not sure he fixes things right now. As others have pointed out, him getting hurt at this point because of an oline that couldn't open running lanes against Kent State is the bigger issue on offense right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leidner has a better chance of getting hurt than Croft because he can't move as well. So I don't really buy that as an argument, especially because this is pretty much the same offensive line we had last year.

The mystery to me is why the Gopher offense - with the same Head Coach and offensive coordinator, looks so much different than the offense the same staff ran at Northern Illinois. at No Illinois, they mixed up the run and the pass, they used two different QB's who had different styles, and they were very successful.

So why aren't they doing the same things at MN?
Options:
Northern Illinois had better players/athletes on offense?
Kill and Limegrover can't remember what they did at Northern Illinois?
They're doing it on purpose to run up web traffic?
Limegrover can't coach at the lighter weight, and he needs to start binge eating to get fat again.
OR - the option nobody wants to believe - the coaches are doing what they believe they have to with the current personnel.

I've never met a coach who deliberately tried to lose, or deliberately kept better players on the bench while using inferior players on the field. College coaching is all about winning. You win, you get more money and/or a better job. You lose, you get less money, and/or a worse job - or no job at all.

I know a lot of you are big on schemes and play-calling. I still maintain it's all about execution, and the Gophers just aren't executing.

The mystery to me is ...QUOTE]

I think JK and the offensive coaches are stunned that the offense is struggling this much. I'm just guessing, but I think Killer is really frustrated. I believe we have some talent on offense, and am confident they will find a solution. I'm grateful they won't be looking here, or to the media for the answers. I think everyone of the players and coaches believe they can still accomplish all of their goals because the D is elite. Those that want Kill or his coaches gone have no idea what that would mean. It's just noise. Ignore them.

The mystery to me is ...QUOTE]

I think JK and the offensive coaches are stunned that the offense is struggling this much. I'm just guessing, but I think Killer is really frustrated. I believe we have some talent on offense, and am confident they will find a solution. I'm grateful they won't be looking here, or to the media for the answers. I think everyone of the players and coaches believe they can still accomplish all of their goals because the D is elite. Those that want Kill or his coaches gone have no idea what that would mean. It's just noise. Ignore them.

Good post.

I am confident that Matt Limegrover will remain the OC, and that the offense will get fixed. I have lost some confidence that it will happen this year, but it will happen.

Giving up on any part of this coaching staff three games into year five is just plain silly.

The play calling was definitely vanilla. But I believe after the Still fumble the decision was made by Kill that in no way is the offense going to lose the game. Jerry would rather punt and play field position and play to his strength with the defense then let another turnover lose the game.

But there is downside, a lot of it. If you put in Croft and he plays like a true freshman that is not ready yet it could get even worse.

Should tell all of us what the coaches think of the backups when they continue to refuse to put anyone under center besides Limegrover.

With all due respect, it doesn't get any worse than putting up 10 points against a terrible Kent State team. While it's absolutely not just on Leidner, in my opinion it's time for Croft. People also need to realize that him being skinny doesn't equate to him being snapped in half. He'll take hits, he'll get sacked... But he's a football player, he's tough, he'll take it. The defense is doing it's job, but the offense really can't get any worse.

I think the team could be a lot better if they had a consistent passing game but their QB can't throw it. It is so bad how can the coach say to his players that Leidner is the best? It is worth a shot in trying a new QB to see if the offense van get going. I want Croft or Parra

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Top Bottom