Feds weigh allegations of gender inequity in University of Minnesota

Are you sure you know what Teague did/did not do? Frequently people who have filed this type of complaint basically just do not like the answer to their complaint. That does not mean they are wrong, but it also does not mean Teague and others did not "deal" with the issue. It does mean they did not agree.
Sencondly, the track situation should not be a Title IX problem since it will inconvenience men's and women's teams equally.
Further the academic excellence center is for everyone, and the new hoops facility has always been for both teams

+19

Are you sure you know what Teague did/did not do? Frequently people who have filed this type of complaint basically just do not like the answer to their complaint. That does not mean they are wrong, but it also does not mean Teague and others did not "deal" with the issue. It does mean they did not agree.
Sencondly, the track situation should not be a Title IX problem since it will inconvenience men's and women's teams equally.
Further the academic excellence center is for everyone, and the new hoops facility has always been for both teams

The track situation became a Title IX problem when Teague failed to resolve the women's complaint that was initiated two years ago. They only filed a complaint with the OCR when the U's internal review wasn't completed before the facilities design and cost estimates were being finalized for submission to the Board of Regents. If Teague had given the necessary priority to their concerns this issue would have gone away months ago. Now he is going to have to do everything he can to resolve it before the next Board of Regents meeting in August or September. If it isn't resolved by then the Regents will not approve the project. Teague will not be able to cram this down the throats of the women. It will be a negotiation or it won't get done. Take it to the Bank.

The track situation became a Title IX problem when Teague failed to resolve the women's complaint that was initiated two years ago. They only filed a complaint with the OCR when the U's internal review wasn't completed before the facilities design and cost estimates were being finalized for submission to the Board of Regents. If Teague had given the necessary priority to their concerns this issue would have gone away months ago. Now he is going to have to do everything he can to resolve it before the next Board of Regents meeting in August or September. If it isn't resolved by then the Regents will not approve the project. Teague will not be able to cram this down the throats of the women. It will be a negotiation or it won't get done. Take it to the Bank.

And you know this how?

And you know this how?

I have spent most of my working life dealing with issues like this. It is going to matter very little what Title IX says about this situation. The power, influence, and donations of women and their supporters at the U and at the state legislature will trump Title IX and Jerry Kill. It has been that way for several decades. This is the state we have chosen to live in and the university most of us in GopherHole attended. It is never going to change.

I have spent most of my working life dealing with issues like this. It is going to matter very little what Title IX says about this situation. The power, influence, and donations of women and their supporters at the U and at the state legislature will trump Title IX and Jerry Kill. It has been that way for several decades. This is the state we have chosen to live in and the university most of us in GopherHole attended. It is never going to change.

So you're saying you don't really have any more knowledge of this situation than the rest of us, correct?

He made that assumption because odds are 99.9% that he is correct. You are naive if you don't think this thought process pervades the left. It's the same mindset that Jery Seinfeld blasted regarding P.C. garbage on most campuses and why he will not perform at colleges. You may not hold these views, and more power to you, but this stuff comes from one side of the political spectrum.

I know some of you need to view everything through your political lens. I objected, but I realize it's a losing battle. And I would like to sincerely apologize for any role I may have inadvertently played in causing Jerry Seinfeld to stop appearing at colleges.

So you're saying you don't really have any more knowledge of this situation than the rest of us, correct?

The reason I like to visit GopherHole is to find out what is happening at the U and make observations and predictions about Gophers sports and the issues of the day. I don't come here to make friends. Although many GopherHolers disagree with my posts very few of them have been proven to be inaccurate. You guys shouldn't try to kill the messengers. You need to learn from them. It will serve you well in your real lives.

Mr know-it-all lives. I thought he disappeared with Rocky and Bullwinkle

The reason I like to visit GopherHole is to find out what is happening at the U and make observations and predictions about Gophers sports and the issues of the day. I don't come here to make friends. Although many GopherHolers disagree with my posts very few of them have been proven to be inaccurate. You guys shouldn't try to kill the messengers. You need to learn from them. It will serve you well in your real lives.

If this is how you socially carry out your everyday life, please consider a mental health assessment.

The track situation became a Title IX problem when Teague failed to resolve the women's complaint that was initiated two years ago. They only filed a complaint with the OCR when the U's internal review wasn't completed before the facilities design and cost estimates were being finalized for submission to the Board of Regents. If Teague had given the necessary priority to their concerns this issue would have gone away months ago.

When you say "necessary priority," that is the precise problem here, because you're basically saying Teague should have given in to one particular group, on a project with a gazillion interests and concerns, and many conflicting desires (including everyone's desire to have THEIR sport be close to the nutrition facility, when we have over 20 sports and we're in the middle of a city with scarce land.) There was an EXTENSIVE process involving input from all corners over an extended time period, the track people got to participate fully, and their concerns were fully heard. Now they're just trying to trump the result of the process by playing the sexism card.

And what happens if the U now decides to build them their track by tearing up the golf course? Are we then going to get a Title IX complaint from the golfers?

Your posts are like the lovechild of narcissist LNH and bumbling "Mr. Title IX" MACturi.

No matter who the AD is

No matter who the athletic director is there are going to be complainers. I'm just guessing, Norwood is pretty good at negotiating.
I'm also guessing we don't know about 90% of the issues involved or the people involved and how one situation effects another depending on the choices or decisions made.

And just maybe the only way the complainer will be silenced is for the complaint to run it's course.

It's frustrating. Where the blame falls is just total speculation.

Have 20 random adults raise their hand to join an opposing committee and by drawing straws they choose one person to lead or chair the committee. Now you negotiate with that opposing group about their demands. That committee can't agree on much other than they are upset and may want 20 different things...it may not be possible to satisfy their concerns because it's a moving target and the committee itself is in conflict with another. I'm saying I doubt we know the whole story.

Necessary priority?
Holy crap. His only priority was to get the project done ASAP.
You're one of them aren't you?
The attitude you speak of and with needs to change, period.
If the U shoots itself in the the face again on another major no brainer football upgrade like this then there is no hope. It needs to change, women's sports and non revenue sports cannot be the focus going forward or the U will fall further behind than it already is.
Pray to jeebus Teague or Kaler can BS the morons who are behind this terrorist title IX hit.

Necessary priority?
Holy crap. His only priority was to get the project done ASAP.
You're one of them aren't you?
The attitude you speak of and with needs to change, period.
If the U shoots itself in the the face again on another major no brainer football upgrade like this then there is no hope. It needs to change, women's sports and non revenue sports cannot be the focus going forward or the U will fall further behind than it already is.
Pray to jeebus Teague or Kaler can BS the morons who are behind this terrorist title IX hit.

Pretty much agree with you......but no need to even mention 'women's sports', just non-revenue sports because that is what they all are other than FB, men's BB and men's hockey.

The irony is that the first to suffer if FB and MBB cannot bring in sufficient revenue/"profit" will be the non-revenue sports. Thus, excessive complaining will be very counter-productive. That said, assuming revenues will increase, the wealth should be spread to some degree, and this should become a non-issue. The powers that be should be framing the argument as benefit to all.

The irony is that the first to suffer if FB and MBB cannot bring in sufficient revenue/"profit" will be the non-revenue sports. Thus, excessive complaining will be very counter-productive. That said, assuming revenues will increase, the wealth should be spread to some degree, and this should become a non-issue. The powers that be should be framing the argument as benefit to all.

I'm sure they are, but some people can't grasp reality.

No matter who the athletic director is there are going to be complainers. I'm just guessing, Norwood is pretty good at negotiating.
I'm also guessing we don't know about 90% of the issues involved or the people involved and how one situation effects another depending on the choices or decisions made.

And just maybe the only way the complainer will be silenced is for the complaint to run it's course.

It's frustrating. Where the blame falls is just total speculation.

Have 20 random adults raise their hand to join an opposing committee and by drawing straws they choose one person to lead or chair the committee. Now you negotiate with that opposing group about their demands. That committee can't agree on much other than they are upset and may want 20 different things...it may not be possible to satisfy their concerns because it's a moving target and the committee itself is in conflict with another. I'm saying I doubt we know the whole story.

+1000.

The complexity of this facilities build project in an entrenched urban setting as such is enormous and muli-faceted.

They will take the approach(es) that they need to address issues, and to get the project done. It won't be easy, but they will iron it all out.

Let's just sit back and let the process work. Whining isn't going to make issues & concerns go away or make the project go any faster. It is what it is.

+1000.

The complexity of this facilities build project in an entrenched urban setting as such is enormous and muli-faceted.

They will take the approach(es) that they need to address issues, and to get the project done. It won't be easy, but they will iron it all out.

Let's just sit back and let the process work. Whining isn't going to make issues & concerns go away or make the project go any faster. It is what it is.

Agreed, but nothing happening on this site will make it go any slower either. I'm mostly checking in to see Upnorth make an ass of him or herself. I'm personally hoping that he/she keeps posting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Priorities, IMHO

Include the Track and Field team in the althletic village fundraising. Seems sufficient.

FYI, I haven't read the other x number of pages of this thread. End post.

Priorities, IMHO Include the Track and Field team in the althletic village fundraising. Seems sufficient. FYI, I haven't read the other x number of pages of this thread. End post.

I believe they are including it. The problem is they don't have the space for the new track so they would have to run at Hamline for two years while they find a new spot for the U track. I do believe an upgraded track is part of the ultimate plan though.

Agreed, but nothing happening on this site will make it go any slower either. I'm mostly checking in to see Upnorth make an ass of him or herself. I'm personally hoping that he/she keeps posting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would prefer you don't slander my honorable upnorth monomer and instead refer to people posting idiotic things by their full monikers. Thank you ;)

Seems odd that they would make this complaint. Sure....for two years it will be inconvenient.....but when all is said and done.....the track team will benefit from the improved facilities and the new track.

I would prefer you don't slander my honorable upnorth monomer and instead refer to people posting idiotic things by their full monikers. Thank you ;)

What this University doesn't need is another limp-wrist like Maturi who panders to the sports that make no revenue for the department. Hopefully Norwood keeps the path; would even be better if a bunch of the worthless sh!t gets cut.

What this University doesn't need is another limp-wrist like Maturi who panders to the sports that make no revenue for the department. Hopefully Norwood keeps the path; would even be better if a bunch of the worthless sh!t gets cut.

Ok?

Please watch the Vikings instead, you clearly don't understand college athletics.

Please watch the Vikings instead, you clearly don't understand college athletics.

Just curious, when's the last time you attended a Gopher sporting event that wasn't football, men's basketball, or men's hockey?

Trolls

"Anonymous sources" = trolls from under the Washington ave. bridge, always emerging whenever a Major Gophers sport begins to rise above mediocrity

If the baseball team would have 'partnered' with the St. Paul Saints in their new ballpark, would that have left enough space for track on Mpls campus?

If the baseball team would have 'partnered' with the St. Paul Saints in their new ballpark, would that have left enough space for track on Mpls campus?

Like the football team partnered with the Metrodome? And basketball should join the Lynx and Timberwolves too? Come on man?
The baseball team raised their own money and they established their home on campus. And you are criticizing them? Track had the same opportunity but nobody took charge or led. So, now they don't control their own path but they are still being provided for... but complaining the money isn't crisp enough, the denominations are the wrong sized bills etc etc

Advocates for women's rights can stomp their feet, jump up and down, holler all they want but how the athletic department is ran should be up to the university. I understand those groups won't go away and will do whatever they can do to change what they believe is unfair.

This is true if the university doesn't accept federal funds. Once they do, they must play by the Fed's rules.

Like the football team partnered with the Metrodome? And basketball should join the Lynx and Timberwolves too? Come on man?
The baseball team raised their own money and they established their home on campus. And you are criticizing them? Track had the same opportunity but nobody took charge or led. So, now they don't control their own path but they are still being provided for... but complaining the money isn't crisp enough, the denominations are the wrong sized bills etc etc

This.

Top Bottom