Gopher Bars

Mvgopher

Reaction score
We have a cabin in central MN and have struggled over the years to get the local establishments to have Gopher football games on their tvs. (Typically away games). We've had to start calling the night before to make sure they're ready for 11 a.m. games. BTN creates issues in finding the correct channel. There's a few that have now created promotions due to the business and increased interest.

I have always wondered why the U doesn't create a promotion for bars to designate themselves as "Gopher Bars." Send them flags, posters, lights, etc. It Shouldn't be difficult to find the game? Creating interest from the casual non-metro fan would be healthy for the program. Thoughts?

What really matters is what the football PR people think, not GH-ers.

Send your concept on to PR and see what kind of response you receive. It may be best to make a call.

Me! I think you have a great idea RE:Gopher Bars.

Most bars will have the total sports package. The key is knowing what station BTN for Dish, DirectTV, Comcast and Charter in the area. It's easy to look up on their websites. You save a ton of time.

I've run into some issue with this if I'm out in more rural MN where forking over the money for BTN is an issue to the establishment. I think you have a great idea here and for sure should bring it up to Gopher PR. Getting statewide interest is key in continuing to grow the Gopher football brand

I still can't figure out how the Big Ten Bar on HWY 10 didn't know that the Gophers were playing (away games before the BTN) on two separate occasions back in the early 2000's?

My dad actually met Teague in Bloomington IND two years and brought this up, I think that U has done a HORRIBLE job of embracing the out staters, you go to a bar in NW Wisconsin, 5 hours from Madison and it is adorned with Badger stuff same goes for Iowa. My dad and his buddies play golf and fish all over the state (nice to be retired) and they constantly complain about no gopher stuff anywhere in any of the local taverns. Teague suggested that they draw up a plan and submit it. Write a letter, for example I was up in the Ely/Tower area this weekend, was in and out of many gas stations and bars/restaurants and I did not see one gopher schedule or piece of gear. I think that we need to embrace our out-state brethren far more.

My dad actually met Teague in Bloomington IND two years and brought this up, I think that U has done a HORRIBLE job of embracing the out staters, you go to a bar in NW Wisconsin, 5 hours from Madison and it is adorned with Badger stuff same goes for Iowa. My dad and his buddies play golf and fish all over the state (nice to be retired) and they constantly complain about no gopher stuff anywhere in any of the local taverns. Teague suggested that they draw up a plan and submit it. Write a letter, for example I was up in the Ely/Tower area this weekend, was in and out of many gas stations and bars/restaurants and I did not see one gopher schedule or piece of gear. I think that we need to embrace our out-state brethren far more.

I live in outstate MN (west central MN) and I agree with this.

As a former out-state resident from north-central living in the metro - I've experienced the same issues with Bar and radio coverage. There should be ways to integrate Beer Distributors and Broadcast promotions through the Bar Establishments? When I was in Fort Myers last fall at a sports bar - they have "trinkets & trash" for Florida & Georgia fans - beads, coozies and stickers for the fans to use & wear and of course drink specials... If I have to place blame - its from the lack of care taken by the administration back in the 1970's which didn't put an emphasis on College football and it was forgotten about in outside Minnesota. The good news is we have fan interest & momentum and its time to capitalize on it - now.

Actually, no. Bison fans will surely claim that West Central Minnesota is Bison country, but that couldn't be further from the truth in my experiences in the Detroit Lakes area.

I assume there are a lot of Bison fans in your part of the state and that the bars reflect this.

Yes and no. You see plenty of people wearing Bison gear, but in the bars and things, you really do not see much. Actually, in one of our bars in Wheaton, The Rusty Anchor, a local resident carved out a Gopher head that is hanging in the bar. There is also one for the Twins, Vikings, TWolves, etc.

I will post a pic sometime soon.

It's not like the Vikings who get promoted through the beer vendors. I'm not sure the NCAA would allow the U to do this. This should be be a function through the Alumni Association or the Goal Line Club through the efforts of Norwood Teague. Hell, we've a place in Ely and I would be happy to drop off promotional material at the likes of the Ely Steakhouse, Dee's Bar, Grand Ely Lodge, The Crazy Wrabbit, Silver Rapids Lodge. The VFW, Rockwood Bar and Grill. etc...

Move out of the sticks, gentlemen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Move out of the sticks, gentlemen. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Was that an example of "spoofin", or are you acting like a superior, elitist a-hole? Or are you actually an elitist a-hole?

Was that an example of "spoofin", or are you acting like a superior, elitist a-hole? Or are you actually an elitist a-hole?

Quote from Pulp Fiction. That's all. I am an a-hole, but certainly not an elitist a-hole. Nothing elite about me.

Quote from Pulp Fiction. That's all. I am an a-hole, but certainly not an elitist a-hole. Nothing elite about me. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So, just spoofin. Fair enough!

Anyone else read the title "Gopher Bars" and think peanut chocolate deliciousness?

Quote from Pulp Fiction. That's all. I am an a-hole, but certainly not an elitist a-hole. Nothing elite about me.

Being a retired Proctologist, I can assure you there are NO elitist a-holes. Just a-holes.

I think most bars get the posters, lighting, coasters, etc. from their liquor or beer distributor. As far as TV's most bars have multiple sets, with full sports packages. When ever I now walk into the local establishment, they ask do you want the Gopher Game? And my response, why not put it on your bill board outside. If I was an operator what is there to lose if you become a Gopher Bar? I don't care if you are in Dinky Town, Detroit Lakes, or Duluth. It would be a draw on Saturday afternoons. This will work in Winona, Wilmar, or Windom. We are talking about 4 hours.

You're at the wrong place. Our cabin is also in NW Wisconsin and the bartender always has a Wild or Twins shirt on, Gopher posters on the wall, and then it is littered with green and gold junk for the NFL team.

The biggest factor in whether any sports bar will put on your game is whether the bartender or manager is a chick. If it is, fuggedibout it. You're lucky if they can work the volume control, let alone the channel.

That said, I agree with the posters who suggest that the U could be doing more with promotional materials to highlight establishments that are showing gopher games. I see that all the time for the Wild and the Vikes. Maybe partner with a beer company. You know, someone who actually understands the concept of marketing a product.

And it's not just out in the "sticks". It would be nice to find a good sports bar in st. Paul to go to for watching away games. I live near Billy's and have gone there. They'll usually have the game on, but it can be a hassle trying to get them to turn the sound up, especially with the aforementioned skirt issue.

Interesting, I currently live in Hudson no gopher bars there. I use to travel for Work and NW wisconsin was one of my primary areas and also have spent a ton of time up there chasing fish, most places I go to have Twins and Wild gear but have never been in a place with gopher gear. In my younger days I was in and out of far too many taverns in Burnett and Polk counties as well. If anyone is familar with Siren I spent a week one night in the Pheasant INN far too often.

Well boys, We're back up in Ely the week of June 8th For the Walleye Whamma on Birch Lake. I'm going to call the U and see if they've any promotional materials I can bring up and distribute to the bars. ( schedules, etc )

Well boys, We're back up in Ely the week of June 8th For the Walleye Whamma on Birch Lake. I'm going to call the U and see if they've any promotional materials I can bring up and distribute to the bars. ( schedules, etc )

I will be on the Big V(Lake Vermilion) in two weeks so in the Tower area, pick up some extra.

Reply with their response. I'd do the same in the Mille lacs area.

I will soon be pushing Gopher agenda in St. Johns Arizona. U Gophers and Arizona State have a great friendship.

I've been complaining about this for years.

Poster schedules, pocket schedules, banners etc........was always done in the past. Never see a thing in stores, liq.stores or grocery stores anymore in Alex. This is up to the U Marketing Dept/AD. It should not be up to the fans and bar owners. Very sad and very simple. Kick its in the ass NT!

On the other hand we have Zorbaz in Alex..........PATHETIC.
10931315_416834671813208_864644026099009040_n.jpg

I've been complaining about this for years. Poster schedules, pocket schedules, banners etc........was always done in the past. Never see a thing in stores, liq.stores or grocery stores anymore in Alex. This is up to the U Marketing Dept/AD. It should not be up to the fans and bar owners. Very sad and very simple. Kick its in the ass NT! On the other hand we have Zorbaz in Alex..........PATHETIC.

Even more pathetic. The dude is rocking Crocs in the picture. Figures.

I agree the U needs to do a better job of outreach to the rest if the state. Provide promotional materials and banners. Of course, that only works if people show up who want to watch the Gophers. Pick a bar, make it the gathering place to watch the Gophers, and the owners will be motivated to make it a Gopher-friendly establishment.

When I've been up in northwest MN, around Erskine (north of DL) I counted the college shirts, and Gopher shirts outnumbered all the others. There were a couple NDSU shirts, a UND shirt a Bemidji State shirt, but about a dozen Gopher shirts.

Top Bottom