Rand: NCAA Tourney is minimum requirement for Pitino's honeymoon to last

Winasota Gopher

Deep Insider
Reaction score
That's a very long leash.

We can agree to disagree. I just think when you have as much of a stylistic and culture change as we are attempting to go through you need to cycle your predecessors recruits and also have time to recruits your style of players (which you cannot do from day one) and get those players through the system. So my 6 years comes from 1 year scrambling to fill a roster, year 2 recruiting decent players and you've now cycled most of your predecessors players, year 3 your are recruiting kids you've spent some time recruiting and should fit your system perfectly. Year 4, 5 and 6 will get your kids to senior level. If we don't have "success" by that time we are in real trouble.

I think Tubby had an easier time recruiting from the start based on his name. He also didn't transform a system completely so incumbent players fit much better than what we are seeing right now.

I also think Minnesota is not in a spot to cycle coaches every 3 years trying to find the right guy. That will only drive the program deeper into mediocrity.

Top Bottom