All Things 2015 Gophers Spring Practice: Tweets, Links, Analysis, Video & More

Killjoy

Reaction score
Some quick observations from today's practice.

Gant looked very fast to me, Holland seems to have very good hands. Most of the receivers have good hands and were getting open from time to time against a very quick secondary. I think the passing game will be much improved and I also think our days of having a wide receiver drought are over.

If I had to guess who would start at running back I would guess Rodrick Williams first, then Rodney Smith and then Jeff Jones. Rodrick is faster than last year, still packs a lot of power, and on one carry, right in front of me, made a sharp, quick cut and juked a linebacker (didn't get LBs number) out of his jock. I don't recall Rodrick having that sort of quickness last year. If he can learn to read the holes like Cobb, or even wait a minute for the holes to open up, he will be a force to be reckoned with.

Jones and Smith are similar in my eyes. Smith might be a little bit faster and quicker. Jones has good hands and seemed very smooth. Don't get me wrong - Jones is not slow - none of the backs are but perhaps Jones has a bit to learn. Jones had a play right in front of me much like Rodrick's but instead of making a quick cut and going, Jones tried to dance. I am sure that worked in high school but not so much against a Big 10 linebacker! I am sure by the end of spring practice he will have that coached out of him.

De'Niro Laster leveled Brandon Lingen after Lingen caught a pass. I am pretty sure there wasn't supposed to be live tackling today. Lingen popped up mad but got control of himself and trotted off.

Streveler looked like he is passing better and still seems to be fast. When Chris came to MN in 2013 Coach Kill said he was one of the fastest players on the team. Watching the DBs, LBs and RBs fly around today made me realize how much faster we have gotten as a team in the last couple of years. Mitch is clearly 1, Chris is clearly 2 and Perra and Rhoda seem to be fighting it out for number 3.

This team will be very good this fall and I sincerely think they will be playing in Indie as Big 10 West champions!

Always remember, these observations are worth what you payed for them. Let me know if you disagree with anything and I'll give you your money back! ;-)

I have a little different take on the running backs then you do. Jeff Jones may have some things to learn but he seems to have some moves and gears that may propel him to the number one spot in the not to distant future. Also at today's practice it really became clear to me that our receivers are definitely going to be a step up. I also enjoyed watching Chris Streveler. He really seems to enjoy the game. The best thing though is that every year the practices have gotten better and better. This year is no exception to that trend.

P.S. It is great fun watching the T.E.s battle each other. There is great competition with all of them including the two walk-ons, Nick Hart and Noah Scarver.

Top Bottom