Hockey Super-Conference

CP Gopher

Reaction score
Ok...I've talked with someone "in the know"....I know that sounds really stupid, but this is what he's telling me:

Something is in the works for a "super-conference", and it's not necessarily a Big Ten thing.
Apparently, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Michigan, North Dakota, CC, Denver and perhaps Notre Dame want to form their own league. The schedule would include 24 league games, meaning some of the teams would meet for only one series each year. Each school would have certain "rivals" they would always have two series with. (I'm guessing Minnesota's "rivals" would always be Wisconsin and North Dakota). The "one series" opponents would rotate from year to year.
UMD, St. Cloud, Bemidji, Omaha, Mich. Tech, Northern Mich, Mankato and maybe Anchorage are looking into forming their own league if this happens. (Though it sounds like Anchorage isn't what everyone wants)
Should this take place, we'll still probably see Minnesota, Wisconsin and North Dakota play the Minnesota schools for one series each year. But we probably won't see Denver and CC do it on a regular basis.

Interesting, but it doesn't seem too likely to happen. That's a tall order and would really ruin programs like Mankato, Duluth, SCSU, etc. I would like to play MSU and Michigan every year though...

Ok...I've talked with someone "in the know"....I know that sounds really stupid, but this is what he's telling me:

Something is in the works for a "super-conference", and it's not necessarily a Big Ten thing.
Apparently, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Michigan, North Dakota, CC, Denver and perhaps Notre Dame want to form their own league. The schedule would include 24 league games, meaning some of the teams would meet for only one series each year. Each school would have certain "rivals" they would always have two series with. (I'm guessing Minnesota's "rivals" would always be Wisconsin and North Dakota). The "one series" opponents would rotate from year to year.
UMD, St. Cloud, Bemidji, Omaha, Mich. Tech, Northern Mich, Mankato and maybe Anchorage are looking into forming their own league if this happens. (Though it sounds like Anchorage isn't what everyone wants)
Should this take place, we'll still probably see Minnesota, Wisconsin and North Dakota play the Minnesota schools for one series each year. But we probably won't see Denver and CC do it on a regular basis.

no offense, but your friend "in the know" sounds like he "doesn't know" what he is talking about on this particular subject. not saying your friend doesn't know about hockey, as i am sure he does, but here is GLARING reason #1 why i know his speculation on said subject IS wrong:

because ohio state is not mentioned anywhere. fellow big ten schools (minnesota, wisconsin, michigan, michigan state) are NOT going to do anything in terms of a new conference that doesn't include their big ten conference brother ohio state. the big ten schools are not going to forsake ohio state for the likes of small schools like north dakota, colorado college or denver.

the thing i find kind of funny in all of this (and no one has really talked about in great depth) is that north dakota is the number one team that DESPERATELY does not want a BTHC to happen - and are probably doing anything they can behind the scenes to sabotage it. it is because they know they will not be allowed in and that being outside a BTHC will impact their currently "free" media coverage and likely their recruiting prowess in places like minneapolis/st.paul, milwaukee, madison, chicago, detroit......basically all of the midwest where their is actually population. the only reason many folks (i.e. young hockey players) in hockey talent rich states such as minnesota, wisconsin & michigan even know about the university of north dakota is because of their affiliation with minnesota and wisconsin in the WCHA. once minnesota and wisconsin are gone from the WCHA and into a BTHC it goes back to no one (i.e. major tv & media outlets) outside of grand forks and fargo giving a rip about north dakota fighting susie hockey. a tear......a tear. ;-)

I'm sorry....

I forgot to include Ohio State. My friend did mention them along with Notre Dame as the possible eighth team. Although, as I stated before, the new conference has nothing to do with the Big Ten.

Apparently there's great frustration from some schools that the WCHA is expanding, and these same schools feel there are now enough smaller programs to have their own conference.

I find it funny that these "big" schools would be frustrated over the WCHA expanding when they voted for it to happen.

Interesting, but it doesn't seem too likely to happen. That's a tall order and would really ruin programs like Mankato, Duluth, SCSU, etc. I would like to play MSU and Michigan every year though...

We already do.

I just can't see this happening. It would really hurt the small programs. And that could mean a lot of programs throwing in the towel down the road.

I find it funny that these "big" schools would be frustrated over the WCHA expanding when they voted for it to happen.

i think they only did it as a "means to an end" or so to say. UW was just a bit more vocal about it and could be because they are in a different political & regional PR position with the whole thing than minnesota is. understandably, the U of M and UW could not BOTH be viewed as "the ones" who "killed" bemidji state and/or uno, so from a purely regional PR perspective those two schools were going to get into the WCHA. however, one of them needs to "play the bad guy" here to make sure a big ten hockey conference plan (which is likely in the works) continues to move forward. again, wisconsin is better able to play that tough role here than minnesota realistically and politically can because of the current minnesota-heavy set-up of the WCHA.

basically, it was two schools into the WCHA (bemidji state & uno) and eventually two schools out of the WCHA (minnesota and wisconsin).

finally, it is my personal viewpoint that joel maturi is simply doing what is probably being asked of him (in a very nice way) by the smaller WCHA schools (and perhaps some WCHA conference execs) to give them some time to get a strategic plan, and most importantly, a financial roadmap together for when the two conference bell cows (U of M and UW) leave the WCHA for a big ten hockey conference with their fellow big ten brothers and probably notre dame.

Top Bottom