Minnesota Vs. UND hockey tonight

RochGopher507

Reaction score
Can't wait to the Gophs take out some UND punks tonight!!!

In an earlier thread I saw a UND insult I liked and I can't remember who it was that used it but I'm gonna steal it :D

Beat the Siouxage!!!!!!

Tough early call?

I'm not much of a hockey expert, but have followed Gopher Hockey for years. Wasn't that tripping call a bad one? In most sports, a bad call gets evened out or doesn't make a big difference much of the time. But that was a tough call to take right away and then a lucky goal (where did that go in the net?!).

We seem to be playing with them. Just need some scoring opportunities.

It's starting to look like 2008 against the sue.

FIRE LUCIA

The Yankees of college hockey look like a high school team. Terrible :mad:

The Yankees of college hockey look like a high school team. Terrible :mad:

agree. if there is one coach on the U of M campus who needs to go IT IS don lucia. i have not seen a gopher hockey team regress over 3 straight years like they have under lucia. his defensive coach (i think his name is hill?) really needs to go, if not lucia. their d has been atrocious over the last few years.

agree. if there is one coach on the U of M campus who needs to go IT IS don lucia. i have not seen a gopher hockey team regress over 3 straight years like they have under lucia. his defensive coach (i think his name is hill?) really needs to go, if not lucia. their d has been atrocious over the last few years.

He really needs to go. I wanted him to go half-way after last season. The team plays like they could care less about the game. They just played their biggest rival and got their rear ends kicked by 10 freshman! I'm really, truthfully disgusted by this team and have been for over two years now. And I will tell you one more thing. My friend has extremely close connections to at least 6 or 7 of the players on the team and guess what they think about coach Lucia? They hate him. This is no joke I have heard them talking about it before, and really didn't quite believe when I heard it come out of there own mouths at first but now you can just see it by the way they play for him. I miss the good ole days of great, competitive teams :(

I guess I may be in the minority here but I don't know that Lucia is solely at fault for the regression, I agree our defensive coach needs to go because he is doing nothing with the talent given to him. One thing I will say is that Lucia needs to recruit bigger defenseman, one good example of this is Aaron Ness (love the kid and he's fun to watch with the puck) but he's is definitely on the tiny side on D and he gets thrown around a bit. I was unable to watch the whole game tonight but when I did I agree they looked like they were a high school team and struggled to get the puck out of their own end or the neutral zone but they did show flashes of being a very good team but just didn't get the results they wanted. Here's to hoping tomorrow nights game goes a little better.

Ski-U-Mah

Go Gophers!!!!

It's been one game...sure it was bad, but it was only one game!

It's been one game...sure it was bad, but it was only one game!

Completely agree, I don't think you can judge the quality of a coach based on one game. To be fair though the defensive coach hasn't shown much in the way of coaching ability the past few years and the smallish defensemen have been a problem with the hockey program for at least last year if not the year before as well. The guys we have are great don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing them in any sense but when you have a group of defensemen that are mostly undersized you are going to have issues, they aren't going to intimidate anyone in front of the crease and it creates problems in the checking game because they just aren't going to be able to hit as consistently hard as a player that has the size on their side. That is why I feel that Lucia needs to recruit defensemen that are bigger or that are at least able to add the pounds to their frame without suffering a major deficit in their offensive, skating or defensive skills.

Completely agree, I don't think you can judge the quality of a coach based on one game. To be fair though the defensive coach hasn't shown much in the way of coaching ability the past few years and the smallish defensemen have been a problem with the hockey program for at least last year if not the year before as well. The guys we have are great don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing them in any sense but when you have a group of defensemen that are mostly undersized you are going to have issues, they aren't going to intimidate anyone in front of the crease and it creates problems in the checking game because they just aren't going to be able to hit as consistently hard as a player that has the size on their side. That is why I feel that Lucia needs to recruit defensemen that are bigger or that are at least able to add the pounds to their frame without suffering a major deficit in their offensive, skating or defensive skills.

i would love to see the gophers change mariucci to a standard/nhl sized rink (like it was at "old" mariucci) and get away from the current olympic ice sheet. i think part of the reason lucia & staff are not able to successfully recruit larger defensemen is because of the overly large ice surface they play their home games on. most big, tough defensemen are not interested in playing on an olympic sheet for 4-years. i would guess that 85-90% of the ice rinks throughout minnesota are standard/nhl size rinks. that is what these kids are used to playing defense on while growing up and then we throw them onto an olympic sheet in college?? doesn't make sense. why we decided to go with an olympic sheet when "new" mariucci was built is beyong me??

i always seem to enjoy gophers games played on nhl sized rinks much more.

why the olympic sized rink is beyond you bronko??? wow. I hope youre being sarcastic.

It gives the twin cities a decent sized venue for hosting things like figure skating, speed skating, and is a great place for national teams to play warm up games on an appropriately sized sheet. It does have value for attracting things like that.

It was not long ago at all when a lot of people thought the huge rink gave the gophers a huge advantage. The problem is that the players being recruited maybe are not the right type for defending such a wide rink.

taking 1 of 4 points from UND isn't the worst. UND is a good team, its their home rink, and they had already played a series this year. I expected us to start slow on friday (ill admit that it was worse than i was hoping) but the team responded very well on saturday. We now know that we have two competent goalies, and that this team does have some competitiveness in them.... it was just late arriving.

Also, 1 of 4 is better than the 0 we took from them last year. The gophers have played much better in the second game of the series the last few years. That is a testament to the ability of Lucia to coach his boys to better results. The first game is more about the players' talent and instinct... and the second is more about the adjustments by the coaches.

Plus I seriously doubt that there is anyone out there who would be better than Lucia. The gophers having to fire their coach would kill recruiting even more, as it would be an indication of massive underachievement in the program, and we dont need that. My prediction: once Tony Lucia graduates, Don will not be afraid to rail into those boys and light a serious fire under their asses if they aren't trying their best at all times.

We did look better in the second game. However, my question is who decided to open the season with the series at UND. I understand that the WCHA makes the schedule, but the U really needed to schedule some games (other than the exhibition against BC) before this matchup to get them in the flow. I kind of feel like we just threw away the first game by not working out some details against a different oponent. The exhibition game obviously did not prepare us for the first game.

why the olympic sized rink is beyond you bronko??? wow. I hope youre being sarcastic.

It gives the twin cities a decent sized venue for hosting things like figure skating, speed skating, and is a great place for national teams to play warm up games on an appropriately sized sheet. It does have value for attracting things like that.

It was not long ago at all when a lot of people thought the huge rink gave the gophers a huge advantage. The problem is that the players being recruited maybe are not the right type for defending such a wide rink.

let's get one thing straight. mariucci is for gophers men's hockey first and foremost. that was the reason it was built and how the facility pays its bills. i would guess you are in the 0.05% minority that is concerned there be an olympic ice sheet available on the u of m campus for extremely random and usually poorly attended events such as figure skating, speed skating and warm-up skates for national teams. all are niche events which deep down no one in the paying public really cares about.

and here i HOPE you are the one being sarcastic! :rolleyes:

taking 1 of 4 points from UND isn't the worst. UND is a good team, its their home rink, and they had already played a series this year. I expected us to start slow on friday (ill admit that it was worse than i was hoping) but the team responded very well on saturday. We now know that we have two competent goalies, and that this team does have some competitiveness in them.... it was just late arriving.

Also, 1 of 4 is better than the 0 we took from them last year. The gophers have played much better in the second game of the series the last few years. That is a testament to the ability of Lucia to coach his boys to better results. The first game is more about the players' talent and instinct... and the second is more about the adjustments by the coaches.

Plus I seriously doubt that there is anyone out there who would be better than Lucia. The gophers having to fire their coach would kill recruiting even more, as it would be an indication of massive underachievement in the program, and we dont need that. My prediction: once Tony Lucia graduates, Don will not be afraid to rail into those boys and light a serious fire under their asses if they aren't trying their best at all times.

if lucia is truly under-coaching players (as you are predicting above) simply because his under-achieving, only on the team because his dad is the coach son is there, then that is all the more reason why don lucia should be feeling the heat more than any other major coach on campus right now.

Tony Lucia has been one of the hardest working most consistent players on the team. His line would always put pressure on the other team and create scoring opportunities when all the other lines were failing.

I'm beginning to think you know nothing about college hockey (and that's putting it lightly).

Tony Lucia has been one of the hardest working most consistent players on the team. His line would always put pressure on the other team and create scoring opportunities when all the other lines were failing.

I'm beginning to think you know nothing about college hockey (and that's putting it lightly).

consistently skating hard vs. having actual skills are two very different things my friend. hard work only takes you so far in a lot of sports, including hockey. also, putting pressure on the other team's second and third lines is not really saying too much (just about anyone can accomplish that) considering tony lucia is one of the worst finishers and shooters on the team.

in regards to your belief that tony lucia creates scoring opportunities i will say thing. when there is a loose puck at the side of the opposing team's net and the goalie is out of place, tony lucia is one of the last guys on the team that i want with that puck on his stick......since he would likely shoot it over the net anyways. why wouldn't he? he has done it dozens of times before!

finally, i will tell you one thing. i know more about hockey "right now" than you will in your "entire lifetime". that much is true. :rolleyes:

anyways trix, back to GPL where you are happiest because every gophers fan thinks the exact same thoughts as you...........

The reason you don't like GPL is because your terrible arguments don't pass the bull*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# test.

YAH GUYZ LUCIA IS HORRIBLE ANYONE CAN PUT PRESSURE ON WCHA FIRST LINES!!!@#$@31

Bumping in anticipation of this weekend.

Gophers, show some damn pride tonight.

granted it's only been two weeks, but Cepis is looking like the sparkplug that this team has needed for a while. Hopefully, his energy carries over to the other guys and we get back to playing real gopher hockey.

Home against UND. Been looking forward to this all season!!!

I am hoping for a tie or Gopher win! but doesnt really matter because I dont believe Canadian Soccer exists lol....

A beautiful - and long overdue - domination of Sue. Sounds like Kangas was huge. Love it.

Could this mean that we've finally seen a turning point and the gophs will finally play up to their potential?

Just when things are looking up: Hoeffel's out with mono for the next few weeks.

Top Bottom