Richard Coffey refutes rumor they hate Pitino

die hard gopher

Reaction score
http://shamasportsheadliners.com

In a telephone interview with Sports Headliners, Richard Coffey was vehement concerning what he said are untrue rumors that his son Amir Coffey hates Golden Gophers head basketball coach Richard Pitino. Amir, a junior, is in the process of deciding whether he wants to skip his senior season at Minnesota and enter the NBA Draft.

“It’s amazing how people hear something and they just run with it,” Richard said about comments his son dislikes Pitino. “First of all, we don’t use the word hate in our family. We don’t hate anything, or anybody. That upsets me, when people use that word because there is so much hate in our country, and hatred only divides. I didn’t raise my kids to hate anyone, or to use that word. It upsets me when people read something or see something and then take it as truth.

“I live in Minnesota. I love the University of Minnesota. I love this state. If they want to know the truth about something, they should stop me and ask me—instead of taking the word of someone that has not spoken to me, has not spoken to my son, has not spoken to anybody in my family.”

Richard said if Amir decides by late May not to enter the 2019 NBA Draft, he will return to college basketball and guaranteed his son will play for the 2019-2020 Gophers. “So stop speculating on it,” Richard said.

“Oh, for sure it’s going to make him a better player,” Richard said. “He’s spending a lot of time working on his weaknesses, trying to get better at those things, trying to become a better basketball player. You (also) continue to work on your strengths to help them continue to be your strengths.”

The Gophers lose four seniors from this year’s tournament team, and the likelihood for a successful season in 2019-2020 could well be predicated on a Coffey return. “We haven’t really thought about that (Amir’s importance),” Richard said. “At this point we are in a process of trying to find out from professionals their opinion on Amir. When we get that information we are going to use it to make a sound, intelligent decision on whether Amir comes back to school, or whether Amir stays in the draft.”

Last edited:

Shove them apples up your @$$ and make apple sauce all you Pitino haters! [emoji41][emoji57][emoji16]

He shouldn’t have to do this, but thanks Richard for reaffirming the bond to the U.

You have some rube on a radio/podcast just starting rumors and then the internet trolls jump on the bandwagon. But, they claim no one ever sees what is on the forums like GH... it is a vacuum where they can make any ridiculous statements and it will never affect anyone, blah, blah, blah. People need to take some personal responsibility and show some restraint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I continue to hold Richard Coffey in high regard.

Looks like all the trolls are again hiding under their bridges as they certainly don’t like hearing the truth, do they? Thank you Mr. Coffey for putting those idiots in their places.

What Richard said here is exactly in line with a great interview (podcast) Nadine did with Amir. The great thing here is that if Amir ends up back on the team, he will be better for having worked on his game and learned from advice from the pros.

Great to see this from Richard ... and disgusting he felt compelled to confront the rumors.

I really wish there was an online forum just for Gopher fans. A little moderation would do wonders for this place.

JTG

Rumors will always exist what is perplexing is how these things get in the media, I've wondered about the Micheal Hurt stuff, why would you put that in print if you have no idea whether it is true or not.

Rumors will always exist what is perplexing is how these things get in the media, I've wondered about the Micheal Hurt stuff, why would you put that in print if you have no idea whether it is true or not.

Was it actually in print, or was it simply propagated by online idiots?

JTG

Looks like all the trolls are again hiding under their bridges as they certainly don’t like hearing the truth, do they? Thank you Mr. Coffey for putting those idiots in their places.

What Richard said here is exactly in line with a great interview (podcast) Nadine did with Amir. The great thing here is that if Amir ends up back on the team, he will be better for having worked on his game and learned from advice from the pros.

Name them... Who posted the lie about Coffey not liking Pitino, who posted that fans have no clue. Lets deal in facts so we know who is who.

I would like to hear from a journalist ethics professor. Korzo is a kfan personality and reporting something he heard third hand, if memory serves. This thing paints a picture of a college player that the player's family finds false and unflattering and so they are finally forced to respond. What is Korzo's culpability, if any. Should he apologize? Maybe the repurcussion is just the credibility he loses? There is the standard that reporters should have more than one source before reporting, is that applicable here? Would think there is a also a different standard for an amateur versus a pro. I would think Korzo will stand by his story that Amir hates Pitino, if not then it is really wrong that he reported it in the first place. Doesnt seem to me that an amateur player should be reported hating his coach unless there is 100% certainty. There is another poster who recently used second hand information to paint an unflattering picture of Pitino's player development abilities. I know I have received second hand information that is flattering toward the team and Pitino. I'm sure other posters have heard second hand testimonials as well.

Name them... Who posted the lie about Coffey not liking Pitino, who posted that fans have no clue. Lets deal in facts so we know who is who.

It was in posts on Gopherhole, but I would rather not search for them again, much less read them. There were more than one who posted that Coffey disliked/hated Pitino. I know because I read them.

Thanks Richard for clarifying this out landish speculation about your son. So appreciate we you did in your playing days with the Gophers, so happy Amir made the choice to stay home and make his parents and state proud of his decision....not like some. Here’s to seeing Amir a Gopher his senior year. Go Gophers!

Oh, good grief, you're on here enough to know that it was posted and there were a number of people who were only too eager to believe it. Here's the original thread title if you want to actually find out. It's on the second page by now.

"KFAN Korzo says Coffee will NEVER return to Minnesota"

I would like to hear from a journalist ethics professor. Korzo is a kfan personality and reporting something he heard third hand, if memory serves. This thing paints a picture of a college player that the player's family finds false and unflattering and so they are finally forced to respond. What is Korzo's culpability, if any. Should he apologize? Maybe the repurcussion is just the credibility he loses? There is the standard that reporters should have more than one source before reporting, is that applicable here? Would think there is a also a different standard for an amateur versus a pro. I would think Korzo will stand by his story that Amir hates Pitino, if not then it is really wrong that he reported it in the first place. Doesnt seem to me that an amateur player should be reported hating his coach unless there is 100% certainty. There is another poster who recently used second hand information to paint an unflattering picture of Pitino's player development abilities. I know I have received second hand information that is flattering toward the team and Pitino. I'm sure other posters have heard second hand testimonials as well.

To be fair, for all we know Korzo could have had a very reliable source close to Coffey tell him this. It was just speculation on here that his source was GH but we don't know for sure if his source was credible or not.

It is a shame Richard had to address these rumors, but I'm glad he did.

After reading this, I am reminded of an interview I heard of Rich's on Dan B before the season started. He said NBA talent is rare to find, and when you have it, you do what you can to get that kid into the NBA. He was referring to Coffey. If Coffey leaves for the NBA, there should be no ill will among fans.

Oh, good grief, you're on here enough to know that it was posted and there were a number of people who were only too eager to believe it. Here's the original thread title if you want to actually find out. It's on the second page by now.

"KFAN Korzo says Coffee will NEVER return to Minnesota"

Was not questioning if it was posted, i read it, i thought someone may remember who it was. I am a firm believer in opinions but not lies.

First of all, Richard cleared that up.

Second, If Amir can get a late first round I would love to see him go. He's given us three solid years and if he has the chance to make serious money he should take it. Would love to have him back.

It is a shame Richard had to address these rumors, but I'm glad he did.

After reading this, I am reminded of an interview I heard of Rich's on Dan B before the season started. He said NBA talent is rare to find, and when you have it, you do what you can to get that kid into the NBA. He was referring to Coffey. If Coffey leaves for the NBA, there should be no ill will among fans.

I will be thrilled for Amir and in the long run it is good for the program in this era as kids look and talk about it all the time. There will be fans pissed off if he goes.

I will be thrilled for Amir and in the long run it is good for the program in this era as kids look and talk about it all the time. There will be fans pissed off if he goes.

I'm also reminded of when Humprhies and Pryzbilla went pro early and fans were so upset. I never understood it. I know there were some murmurs that Hump wasn't the easiest guy to work with, but I'm sure some of those rumors were overblown just from people being bitter.

To be fair, for all we know Korzo could have had a very reliable source close to Coffey tell him this. It was just speculation on here that his source was GH but we don't know for sure if his source was credible or not.

Didnt realize there was speculation GH being the source. Comes down to if believe Richard or Korzo. Just seems to me a reporter should have rock solid, multiple sources to report such a thing, and even then Im not sure.

I'm also reminded of when Humprhies and Pryzbilla went pro early and fans were so upset. I never understood it. I know there were some murmurs that Hump wasn't the easiest guy to work with, but I'm sure some of those rumors were overblown just from people being bitter.

The way Przybilla did it is what upset me. You don't quit on your teammates mid-season to focus on the draft, after your best game as a Gopher no less.

I think that’s true of a first round pick, would be good for him and the gophers, and I don’t think anyone would be pissed if that happened.

Being a second round pick would be iffy — it would help the program if he made the team, but there’s no guarantee of that as a second rounder. I don’t think it would do much for the program if he was a late 2nd round pick and went straight to G league.

Leaving school and going undrafted would not help the program, would be foolish imo, and I’d be very disappointed if he did that.

The way Przybilla did it is what upset me. You don't quit on your teammates mid-season to focus on the draft, after your best game as a Gopher no less.

Yes. Unclear or selective memory. The drama of Pryz bolting after a great game against Indiana because the coach had to suspend him for not going to class was brutal. Going pro was not the issue. Bolting on his team was.

I think we all knew Hump was one and done even before that was in common usage. It was a horrible season and I had personal contact with a parent of one of his teammates who was visibly po'd that they changed the system and three players were playing out of position to accommodate Kris. It's no wonder the team was so much better the next year. Kris was a great player, but there may not be a better example a player being about the player and not the team in my getting long history of Gopher basketball.

I think that’s true of a first round pick, would be good for him and the gophers, and I don’t think anyone would be pissed if that happened.

Being a second round pick would be iffy — it would help the program if he made the team, but there’s no guarantee of that as a second rounder. I don’t think it would do much for the program if he was a late 2nd round pick and went straight to G league.

Leaving school and going undrafted would not help the program, would be foolish imo, and I’d be very disappointed if he did that.

Yep. Now if we can get a few decent grad transfers in the coming weeks and we start looking like a tourney team even without Amir then I can buy that him leaving early will help us. But if he is a second round pick, plays minor minutes in the league next year and the gophers miss the tourney and Pitino possibly gets fired then that isn't helping the program at all.

Yep. #4 on my "Kicked in the Balls" list of life as a Gopher fan. When you're really feeling good about the program is when you should expect the roof to fall in. Ganglehoff, Mussleman, & Mitch Lee are reasons why it's #4. Lou Hudson breaking his wrist is #5, btw.

Yep. #4 on my "Kicked in the Balls" list of life as a Gopher fan. When you're really feeling good about the program is when you should expect the roof to fall in. Ganglehoff, Mussleman, & Mitch Lee are reasons why it's #4. Lou Hudson breaking his wrist is #5, btw.

I would add the game against Northwestern early in the 1970's that cost us the Big Ten title and an NCAA berth and then the Illinois game that we blew under Monson as high on that same list. :(

This is win-win. If Amir gets a first round pick it lifts the image of the team. If he doesn't, he knows what he needs to improve to be that first round pick and has a year to work on it. He will be even better player for us than if he didn't improve his game. He will have a strong indication of where he would be drafted before the draft. There is nothing to dislike about Amir, Richard, or the situation.

This is win-win. If Amir gets a first round pick it lifts the image of the team. If he doesn't, he knows what he needs to improve to be that first round pick and has a year to work on it. He will be even better player for us than if he didn't improve his game. He will have a strong indication of where he would be drafted before the draft. There is nothing to dislike about Amir, Richard, or the situation.

It could be a lose-lose if Amir decides to stay in the draft, forgoes his eligibility and goes undrafted and has to play in the G-league. And thats a lot more likely than him being a first rounder or even an early second.

Top Bottom