PDA

View Full Version : Richard Coffey refutes rumor they hate Pitino

die hard gopher
04-21-2019, 04:37 PM
http://shamasportsheadliners.com

In a telephone interview with Sports Headliners, Richard Coffey was vehement concerning what he said are untrue rumors that his son Amir Coffey hates Golden Gophers head basketball coach Richard Pitino. Amir, a junior, is in the process of deciding whether he wants to skip his senior season at Minnesota and enter the NBA Draft.

“It’s amazing how people hear something and they just run with it,” Richard said about comments his son dislikes Pitino. “First of all, we don’t use the word hate in our family. We don’t hate anything, or anybody. That upsets me, when people use that word because there is so much hate in our country, and hatred only divides. I didn’t raise my kids to hate anyone, or to use that word. It upsets me when people read something or see something and then take it as truth.

“I live in Minnesota. I love the University of Minnesota. I love this state. If they want to know the truth about something, they should stop me and ask me—instead of taking the word of someone that has not spoken to me, has not spoken to my son, has not spoken to anybody in my family.”

Richard said if Amir decides by late May not to enter the 2019 NBA Draft, he will return to college basketball and guaranteed his son will play for the 2019-2020 Gophers. “So stop speculating on it,” Richard said.

“Oh, for sure it’s going to make him a better player,” Richard said. “He’s spending a lot of time working on his weaknesses, trying to get better at those things, trying to become a better basketball player. You (also) continue to work on your strengths to help them continue to be your strengths.”

The Gophers lose four seniors from this year’s tournament team, and the likelihood for a successful season in 2019-2020 could well be predicated on a Coffey return. “We haven’t really thought about that (Amir’s importance),” Richard said. “At this point we are in a process of trying to find out from professionals their opinion on Amir. When we get that information we are going to use it to make a sound, intelligent decision on whether Amir comes back to school, or whether Amir stays in the draft.”

MennoSota
04-21-2019, 04:43 PM
Shove them apples up your @$$ and make apple sauce all you Pitino haters! [emoji41][emoji57][emoji16]

alchemy2u
04-21-2019, 04:57 PM
He shouldnít have to do this, but thanks Richard for reaffirming the bond to the U.

You have some rube on a radio/podcast just starting rumors and then the internet trolls jump on the bandwagon. But, they claim no one ever sees what is on the forums like GH... it is a vacuum where they can make any ridiculous statements and it will never affect anyone, blah, blah, blah. People need to take some personal responsibility and show some restraint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

diehard
04-21-2019, 04:59 PM
I continue to hold Richard Coffey in high regard.

Bordergopher
04-21-2019, 05:18 PM
Looks like all the trolls are again hiding under their bridges as they certainly donít like hearing the truth, do they? Thank you Mr. Coffey for putting those idiots in their places.

What Richard said here is exactly in line with a great interview (podcast) Nadine did with Amir. The great thing here is that if Amir ends up back on the team, he will be better for having worked on his game and learned from advice from the pros.

rockford
04-21-2019, 05:56 PM
Great to see this from Richard ... and disgusting he felt compelled to confront the rumors.

I really wish there was an online forum just for Gopher fans. A little moderation would do wonders for this place.

JTG

jovs
04-21-2019, 07:00 PM
Rumors will always exist what is perplexing is how these things get in the media, I've wondered about the Micheal Hurt stuff, why would you put that in print if you have no idea whether it is true or not.

rockford
04-21-2019, 07:05 PM
Rumors will always exist what is perplexing is how these things get in the media, I've wondered about the Micheal Hurt stuff, why would you put that in print if you have no idea whether it is true or not.

Was it actually in print, or was it simply propagated by online idiots?

JTG

Golden_Sloth
04-21-2019, 07:28 PM
Korzo in shambles

builtbadgers
04-21-2019, 07:59 PM
Looks like all the trolls are again hiding under their bridges as they certainly don’t like hearing the truth, do they? Thank you Mr. Coffey for putting those idiots in their places.

What Richard said here is exactly in line with a great interview (podcast) Nadine did with Amir. The great thing here is that if Amir ends up back on the team, he will be better for having worked on his game and learned from advice from the pros.

Name them... Who posted the lie about Coffey not liking Pitino, who posted that fans have no clue. Lets deal in facts so we know who is who.

bemidjigopher
04-21-2019, 08:37 PM
Name them... Who posted the lie about Coffey not liking Pitino, who posted that fans have no clue. Lets deal in facts so we know who is who.Millions2Spare

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

ltf
04-21-2019, 08:38 PM
I would like to hear from a journalist ethics professor. Korzo is a kfan personality and reporting something he heard third hand, if memory serves. This thing paints a picture of a college player that the player's family finds false and unflattering and so they are finally forced to respond. What is Korzo's culpability, if any. Should he apologize? Maybe the repurcussion is just the credibility he loses? There is the standard that reporters should have more than one source before reporting, is that applicable here? Would think there is a also a different standard for an amateur versus a pro. I would think Korzo will stand by his story that Amir hates Pitino, if not then it is really wrong that he reported it in the first place. Doesnt seem to me that an amateur player should be reported hating his coach unless there is 100% certainty. There is another poster who recently used second hand information to paint an unflattering picture of Pitino's player development abilities. I know I have received second hand information that is flattering toward the team and Pitino. I'm sure other posters have heard second hand testimonials as well.

Bordergopher
04-21-2019, 08:40 PM
Name them... Who posted the lie about Coffey not liking Pitino, who posted that fans have no clue. Lets deal in facts so we know who is who.

It was in posts on Gopherhole, but I would rather not search for them again, much less read them. There were more than one who posted that Coffey disliked/hated Pitino. I know because I read them.

BarnBall
04-21-2019, 08:50 PM
Thanks Richard for clarifying this out landish speculation about your son. So appreciate we you did in your playing days with the Gophers, so happy Amir made the choice to stay home and make his parents and state proud of his decision....not like some. Here’s to seeing Amir a Gopher his senior year. Go Gophers!

Mulligan
04-21-2019, 09:05 PM

Oh, good grief, you're on here enough to know that it was posted and there were a number of people who were only too eager to believe it. Here's the original thread title if you want to actually find out. It's on the second page by now.

"KFAN Korzo says Coffee will NEVER return to Minnesota"

die hard gopher
04-21-2019, 09:06 PM
I would like to hear from a journalist ethics professor. Korzo is a kfan personality and reporting something he heard third hand, if memory serves. This thing paints a picture of a college player that the player's family finds false and unflattering and so they are finally forced to respond. What is Korzo's culpability, if any. Should he apologize? Maybe the repurcussion is just the credibility he loses? There is the standard that reporters should have more than one source before reporting, is that applicable here? Would think there is a also a different standard for an amateur versus a pro. I would think Korzo will stand by his story that Amir hates Pitino, if not then it is really wrong that he reported it in the first place. Doesnt seem to me that an amateur player should be reported hating his coach unless there is 100% certainty. There is another poster who recently used second hand information to paint an unflattering picture of Pitino's player development abilities. I know I have received second hand information that is flattering toward the team and Pitino. I'm sure other posters have heard second hand testimonials as well.

To be fair, for all we know Korzo could have had a very reliable source close to Coffey tell him this. It was just speculation on here that his source was GH but we don't know for sure if his source was credible or not.

skauma
04-21-2019, 09:10 PM
It is a shame Richard had to address these rumors, but I'm glad he did.

After reading this, I am reminded of an interview I heard of Rich's on Dan B before the season started. He said NBA talent is rare to find, and when you have it, you do what you can to get that kid into the NBA. He was referring to Coffey. If Coffey leaves for the NBA, there should be no ill will among fans.

builtbadgers
04-21-2019, 09:12 PM
Oh, good grief, you're on here enough to know that it was posted and there were a number of people who were only too eager to believe it. Here's the original thread title if you want to actually find out. It's on the second page by now.

"KFAN Korzo says Coffee will NEVER return to Minnesota"

Was not questioning if it was posted, i read it, i thought someone may remember who it was. I am a firm believer in opinions but not lies.

GopherSteak
04-21-2019, 09:15 PM
First of all, Richard cleared that up.

Second, If Amir can get a late first round I would love to see him go. He's given us three solid years and if he has the chance to make serious money he should take it. Would love to have him back.

builtbadgers
04-21-2019, 09:16 PM
It is a shame Richard had to address these rumors, but I'm glad he did.

After reading this, I am reminded of an interview I heard of Rich's on Dan B before the season started. He said NBA talent is rare to find, and when you have it, you do what you can to get that kid into the NBA. He was referring to Coffey. If Coffey leaves for the NBA, there should be no ill will among fans.

I will be thrilled for Amir and in the long run it is good for the program in this era as kids look and talk about it all the time. There will be fans pissed off if he goes.

skauma
04-21-2019, 09:25 PM
I will be thrilled for Amir and in the long run it is good for the program in this era as kids look and talk about it all the time. There will be fans pissed off if he goes.

I'm also reminded of when Humprhies and Pryzbilla went pro early and fans were so upset. I never understood it. I know there were some murmurs that Hump wasn't the easiest guy to work with, but I'm sure some of those rumors were overblown just from people being bitter.

ltf
04-21-2019, 09:30 PM
To be fair, for all we know Korzo could have had a very reliable source close to Coffey tell him this. It was just speculation on here that his source was GH but we don't know for sure if his source was credible or not.

Didnt realize there was speculation GH being the source. Comes down to if believe Richard or Korzo. Just seems to me a reporter should have rock solid, multiple sources to report such a thing, and even then Im not sure.

LongLiveMilesTarver
04-22-2019, 05:57 AM
I'm also reminded of when Humprhies and Pryzbilla went pro early and fans were so upset. I never understood it. I know there were some murmurs that Hump wasn't the easiest guy to work with, but I'm sure some of those rumors were overblown just from people being bitter.

The way Przybilla did it is what upset me. You don't quit on your teammates mid-season to focus on the draft, after your best game as a Gopher no less.

WanderingGopher
04-22-2019, 09:09 AM

I think thatís true of a first round pick, would be good for him and the gophers, and I donít think anyone would be pissed if that happened.

Being a second round pick would be iffy ó it would help the program if he made the team, but thereís no guarantee of that as a second rounder. I donít think it would do much for the program if he was a late 2nd round pick and went straight to G league.

Leaving school and going undrafted would not help the program, would be foolish imo, and Iíd be very disappointed if he did that.

Holy Man
04-22-2019, 09:28 AM
The way Przybilla did it is what upset me. You don't quit on your teammates mid-season to focus on the draft, after your best game as a Gopher no less.

Yes. Unclear or selective memory. The drama of Pryz bolting after a great game against Indiana because the coach had to suspend him for not going to class was brutal. Going pro was not the issue. Bolting on his team was.

I think we all knew Hump was one and done even before that was in common usage. It was a horrible season and I had personal contact with a parent of one of his teammates who was visibly po'd that they changed the system and three players were playing out of position to accommodate Kris. It's no wonder the team was so much better the next year. Kris was a great player, but there may not be a better example a player being about the player and not the team in my getting long history of Gopher basketball.

die hard gopher
04-22-2019, 09:36 AM
I think that’s true of a first round pick, would be good for him and the gophers, and I don’t think anyone would be pissed if that happened.

Being a second round pick would be iffy — it would help the program if he made the team, but there’s no guarantee of that as a second rounder. I don’t think it would do much for the program if he was a late 2nd round pick and went straight to G league.

Leaving school and going undrafted would not help the program, would be foolish imo, and I’d be very disappointed if he did that.

Yep. Now if we can get a few decent grad transfers in the coming weeks and we start looking like a tourney team even without Amir then I can buy that him leaving early will help us. But if he is a second round pick, plays minor minutes in the league next year and the gophers miss the tourney and Pitino possibly gets fired then that isn't helping the program at all.

Mulligan
04-22-2019, 10:42 AM

Yep. #4 on my "Kicked in the Balls" list of life as a Gopher fan. When you're really feeling good about the program is when you should expect the roof to fall in. Ganglehoff, Mussleman, & Mitch Lee are reasons why it's #4. Lou Hudson breaking his wrist is #5, btw.

bga1
04-22-2019, 11:27 AM
Yep. #4 on my "Kicked in the Balls" list of life as a Gopher fan. When you're really feeling good about the program is when you should expect the roof to fall in. Ganglehoff, Mussleman, & Mitch Lee are reasons why it's #4. Lou Hudson breaking his wrist is #5, btw.

I would add the game against Northwestern early in the 1970's that cost us the Big Ten title and an NCAA berth and then the Illinois game that we blew under Monson as high on that same list. :(

diehard
04-22-2019, 11:45 AM
This is win-win. If Amir gets a first round pick it lifts the image of the team. If he doesn't, he knows what he needs to improve to be that first round pick and has a year to work on it. He will be even better player for us than if he didn't improve his game. He will have a strong indication of where he would be drafted before the draft. There is nothing to dislike about Amir, Richard, or the situation.

die hard gopher
04-22-2019, 11:55 AM
This is win-win. If Amir gets a first round pick it lifts the image of the team. If he doesn't, he knows what he needs to improve to be that first round pick and has a year to work on it. He will be even better player for us than if he didn't improve his game. He will have a strong indication of where he would be drafted before the draft. There is nothing to dislike about Amir, Richard, or the situation.

It could be a lose-lose if Amir decides to stay in the draft, forgoes his eligibility and goes undrafted and has to play in the G-league. And thats a lot more likely than him being a first rounder or even an early second.

GophersInIowa
04-22-2019, 12:02 PM
It could be a lose-lose if Amir decides to stay in the draft, forgoes his eligibility and goes undrafted and has to play in the G-league. And thats a lot more likely than him being a first rounder or even an early second.

Under the new rules if he goes undrafted he can return to the Gophers if he wants to.

Moonlight
04-22-2019, 12:02 PM
Millions2Spare

I have only a couple people on my 'ignore' list, but years ago I put Mr Millions on mine for reasons I have forgotten. But this episode has given me a major clue.

die hard gopher
04-22-2019, 12:12 PM
Under the new rules if he goes undrafted he can return to the Gophers if he wants to.

Only if he gets a combine invite which seems unlikely. So I'm expecting May 29th to be his deadline.

rockford
04-22-2019, 12:34 PM
Only if he gets a combine invite which seems unlikely. So I'm expecting May 29th to be his deadline.

I don't think going to the combine precludes his returning to school.

JTG

stocker08
04-22-2019, 12:41 PM
Millions2Spare

NoBrainCells2Spare is a troll. Not a clever one either.

bizzle22
04-22-2019, 12:52 PM

JTG

It doesn't, but if he gets combine invite then he can wait longer to decide.

die hard gopher
04-22-2019, 12:52 PM

JTG

If you attend the combine then you can return to school if undrafted.

If you do not get invited then May 29th is the deadline to return and undrafted players cannot return to school.

GophersInIowa
04-22-2019, 12:55 PM

Forgot about that part, you're right. If what he and his dad are saying are true, then I think he will return if he doesn't get invited to the combine.

Bordergopher
04-22-2019, 03:20 PM

JTG

The opposite. I believe he needs a combine invite in order to test the draft and then return to school if he is not drafted. If no combine invite, he will be making a point-of-no-return decision if he actually enters the draft.

rockford
04-22-2019, 03:50 PM
The opposite. I believe he needs a combine invite in order to test the draft and then return to school if he is not drafted. If no combine invite, he will be making a point-of-no-return decision if he actually enters the draft.

Yes, I think we're saying the same thing, just differently. IF he goes to the combine and goes undrafted, he can come back. My original statement was that going to the combine doesn't mean he can't come back.

JTG

Bordergopher
04-22-2019, 08:18 PM
Yes, I think we're saying the same thing, just differently. IF he goes to the combine and goes undrafted, he can come back. My original statement was that going to the combine doesn't mean he can't come back.

JTG

Got it. You must have some Russian blood in you. They use a lot of double negatives in their language.

rockford
04-23-2019, 08:01 AM
Got it. You must have some Russian blood in you. They use a lot of double negatives in their language.

Just a lot of vodka. And of that, I'm positive. :)

JTG

MNVCGUY
04-23-2019, 08:55 AM
Didnt realize there was speculation GH being the source. Comes down to if believe Richard or Korzo. Just seems to me a reporter should have rock solid, multiple sources to report such a thing, and even then Im not sure.

Those days are long gone in Journalism. Reporting used to be about being right, now it is about being first. The news cycle changes so quickly that nobody really remembers if you are wrong or holds you accountable for running with bad information, but if you are the one to break a story you get tons of attention for that.

Glad Richard addressed it even though it is sad that he had to. Made zero sense that Coffey would not come back to the U if he didn't end up in the NBA. Glad that Richard definitely put that speculation to bed.

The family is handling this exactly as you should, take a look at your prospects for the next level and if it doesn't seem like it is going to work out then come back to college and try to use that extra year to prepare for the following season's draft.

Otis
04-23-2019, 09:02 AM
Amir is ranked 77 in Sports Illustrated's top 100 draft prospects today.

HOOP DREAMS
04-23-2019, 09:39 AM
Amir is ranked 77 in their top 100 draft prospects today.

Whose?

http://www.espn.com/nba/draft/bestavailable/_/position/ovr/page/4

https://www.nbadraft.net/ranking/bigboard

Otis
04-23-2019, 09:51 AM
Whose?

SI.com's

bizzle22
04-23-2019, 10:09 AM
Those days are long gone in Journalism. Reporting used to be about being right, now it is about being first. The news cycle changes so quickly that nobody really remembers if you are wrong or holds you accountable for running with bad information, but if you are the one to break a story you get tons of attention for that.

Glad Richard addressed it even though it is sad that he had to. Made zero sense that Coffey would not come back to the U if he didn't end up in the NBA. Glad that Richard definitely put that speculation to bed.

The family is handling this exactly as you should, take a look at your prospects for the next level and if it doesn't seem like it is going to work out then come back to college and try to use that extra year to prepare for the following season's draft.

Korzo isn't a reporter. He's a lawyer with a side gig as a weekend sports radio guy. There's a huge difference.

HOOP DREAMS
04-23-2019, 10:18 AM
SI.com's

https://www.si.com/nba/2019/04/23/nba-draft-2019-big-board-zion-williamson-ja-morant-rj-barrett

Thanks, that is the highest he's been ranked, others have him out of the Top 100.

rockford
04-23-2019, 11:10 AM
Seems like an accurate assessment:

"Coffey closed the season playing the best basketball of his career, and while it may not be enough to get him drafted, his growth since moving over to play point forward has been noteworthy. He has good vision for the position, terrific size and some burst off the dribble, and has quietly developed into an intriguing prospect. Coffey is not the most convincing three-point shooter, which is his biggest impediment to an NBA roster, but he brings something to the table defensively and as a secondary creator that’s worth noting. He might benefit from returning for one more season and spending an entire year playing on the ball."

https://www.si.com/nba/2019/04/23/nba-draft-2019-big-board-zion-williamson-ja-morant-rj-barrett

JTG

MNVCGUY
04-23-2019, 11:36 AM
Korzo isn't a reporter. He's a lawyer with a side gig as a weekend sports radio guy. There's a huge difference.

Fair enough in regards to Korzo but still doesn't change the fact that Journalism standards have dropped a ton in the race to be first as opposed to making sure you are right.

rockford
04-23-2019, 11:45 AM
Fair enough in regards to Korzo but still doesn't change the fact that Journalism standards have dropped a ton in the race to be first as opposed to making sure you are right.

Journalism standards have dropped a ton for this and many other reasons, but probably primarily due to corporate consolidation of the industry.

There are now 25% fewer newsroom jobs than there were just 10 years ago. Think about that for a minute.

In a time with unfettered access to "information," we have the lowest-quality information available.

JTG

GFBfan
04-23-2019, 11:56 AM

"Coffey closed the season playing the best basketball of his career, and while it may not be enough to get him drafted, his growth since moving over to play point forward has been noteworthy. He has good vision for the position, terrific size and some burst off the dribble, and has quietly developed into an intriguing prospect. Coffey is not the most convincing three-point shooter, which is his biggest impediment to an NBA roster, but he brings something to the table defensively and as a secondary creator that’s worth noting. He might benefit from returning for one more season and spending an entire year playing on the ball."

JTG

According to some on here this is not true. I think Amir is a very good defensive player and one of the reasons he would be draftable. He has the length and quickness to guard most 2's and 3's and quite a few pg's as well.

Holy Man
04-23-2019, 12:03 PM

JTG

Interesting note. By all accounts here, it is highly unlikely he plays "on the ball" next year with Carr in the mix. From a team standpoint, we are most likely better off with Amir playing off the ball. With the struggles he had at the point that we saw most of the season, it's interesting to see an "expert" noting improvement in that area of his game. Sometimes some dispassionate objective observations can be helpful for us.

abrams
04-23-2019, 12:12 PM
Most publications have him outside the top 100, my guess is he will be back for a senior season.

SelectionSunday
04-23-2019, 12:13 PM
Interesting note. By all accounts here, it is highly unlikely he plays "on the ball" next year with Carr in the mix. From a team standpoint, we are most likely better off with Amir playing off the ball. With the struggles he had at the point that we saw most of the season, it's interesting to see an "expert" noting improvement in that area of his game. Sometimes some dispassionate objective observations can be helpful for us.

Found that interesting as well. If Amir's best shot at the NBA truly being viewed as a PG (I don't know, I'm not a NBA talent evaluator), it's an interesting spot for Pitino. As a coach you want to give your (NBA-potential) guys the best chance to make it and then stick in the NBA, but at the same time you have to be cognizant of what's best for the team. This leads me to believe perhaps we'll see Carr playing off the ball more than we expected.

alchemy2u
04-23-2019, 12:19 PM

He must be starving with his day job, because a lawyer show know better than to just spread baseless claims about someone on the radio!

rockford
04-23-2019, 12:21 PM

Yeah, those last three words ("on the ball") caught me by surprise, too. I can't imagine it will be our objective as a team (or in Coffey's best interest) to have him on the ball.

JTG

HOOP DREAMS
04-23-2019, 12:22 PM
Found that interesting as well. If Amir's best shot at the NBA truly being viewed as a PG (I don't know, I'm not a NBA talent evaluator), it's an interesting spot for Pitino. As a coach you want to give your (NBA-potential) guys the best chance to make it and then stick in the NBA, but at the same time you have to be cognizant of what's best for the team. This leads me to believe perhaps we'll see Carr playing off the ball more than we expected.

You want to get guys to the NBA, sure, but RP has to win above all else. I'm expecting Carr to be the main PG.

stocker08
04-23-2019, 12:25 PM
Whose?

I'd love to see the Wolves nab Thybulle in the second round.

stocker08
04-23-2019, 12:33 PM

There's no way that Amir's best shot at the NBA is as a PG.

SelectionSunday
04-23-2019, 12:50 PM
You want to get guys to the NBA, sure, but RP has to win above all else. I'm expecting Carr to be the main PG.

I tend to agree with you, but I suspect we'll still see quite a bit of Amir at PG.

Holy Man
04-23-2019, 12:51 PM
There's no way that Amir's best shot at the NBA is as a PG.

Agreed but in the "positionless" world of basketball now, he could end up being a match up nightmare guarding a 6-3 point. His advantage would be on defense. Hard to see him being able to the primary ball handler for 30-40 minutes a game. If whoever wrote the evaluation was paying attention, he might have noticed when he hit the hot streak at the end of the season Dupree was handling the ball a lot more and Amir had more freedom to slash and get open catch and shoot options.

GopherJake
04-23-2019, 12:56 PM
I tend to agree with you, but I suspect we'll still see quite a bit of Amir at PG.I suspect we will see *some*. And they will often be changed on particular trips up the floor as well. I read the note in the article to convey that every bit of ball-handling Amir does is helpful to his pro prospects, as handling the ball is especially important for an average 3 point shooter in the NBA. Without being forced to handle the ball as much as he did last year, he wouldn't be where he is now in that regard.

bizzle22
04-23-2019, 01:00 PM
Journalism standards have dropped a ton for this and many other reasons, but probably primarily due to corporate consolidation of the industry.

There are now 25% fewer newsroom jobs than there were just 10 years ago. Think about that for a minute.

In a time with unfettered access to "information," we have the lowest-quality information available.

JTG

This could lead to an entirely different conversation so I'm going to limit my comments on the topic. But to put it simply -- with the rise of social media, lots of people seem like reporters when they really aren't. If someone has a blue checkmark next to their name on Twitter/Instagram/etc. it just means that they are who they actually say they are, and has nothing to do with how factual their tweets or posts are. The problem isn't the "media" itself. The problem is that people these days have difficulty determining which "media" sources are valid and which aren't.

Korzo isn't your typical "media" guy. He's just a guy on the radio who says stuff. (MeatSauce is on the radio too, and has like 80k followers on Twitter. Doesn't mean he's a valid source, but plenty of those 80k probably think he is.)

bizzle22
04-23-2019, 01:03 PM

JTG

This part is odd to me. It might be better for Amir (or maybe not, I don't know), but it sure doesn't seem like that would be best for the team.

die hard gopher
04-27-2019, 11:32 AM
Murphy, Happ and Reid Travis didn't get combine invites. I think Happ is considered a better prospect than Amir.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Even further proof that it isn&#39;t easy to get an invite to the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NBA?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#NBA</a> Draft Combine: Ethan Happ and Jordan Murphy didn&#39;t get one. But like Travis, both will have workouts with individual teams in May and June. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Gophers?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Gophers</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Badgers?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Badgers</a></p>&mdash; Darren Wolfson (@DWolfsonKSTP) <a href="https://twitter.com/DWolfsonKSTP/status/1122149815205486592?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 27, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Told that former DeLaSalle HS, Stanford, and Kentucky forward Reid Travis didn&#39;t get an invite to the Combine. Further proof how hard it is to obtain one. The Combine is in Chicago May 15-19. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Twolves?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Twolves</a> new POBO surely expected in place by then.</p>&mdash; Darren Wolfson (@DWolfsonKSTP) <a href="https://twitter.com/DWolfsonKSTP/status/1122139878920159232?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 27, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

alchemy2u
04-27-2019, 12:29 PM
Murphy, Happ and Reid Travis didn't get combine invites. I think Happ is considered a better prospect than Amir.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Even further proof that it isn't easy to get an invite to the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NBA?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#NBA</a> Draft Combine: Ethan Happ and Jordan Murphy didn't get one. But like Travis, both will have workouts with individual teams in May and June. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Gophers?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Gophers</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Badgers?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Badgers</a></p>&mdash; Darren Wolfson (@DWolfsonKSTP) <a href="https://twitter.com/DWolfsonKSTP/status/1122149815205486592?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 27, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Told that former DeLaSalle HS, Stanford, and Kentucky forward Reid Travis didn't get an invite to the Combine. Further proof how hard it is to obtain one. The Combine is in Chicago May 15-19. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Twolves?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Twolves</a> new POBO surely expected in place by then.</p>&mdash; Darren Wolfson (@DWolfsonKSTP) <a href="https://twitter.com/DWolfsonKSTP/status/1122139878920159232?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 27, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

It is interesting how Pitino's "hack a happ" did a great deal to expose a major weakness in his game. You could see from his reaction in the post-game press conference that Happ knew his NBA dreams had been shattered. Up until that, all you could heard from the national media was how much of a dominate player he was... but you won't have much of a career if the coach has to put you on the bench during the final minutes of the game.

bemidjigopher
04-27-2019, 12:56 PM
It is interesting how Pitino's "hack a happ" did a great deal to expose a major weakness in his game. You could see from his reaction in the post-game press conference that Happ knew his NBA dreams had been shattered. Up until that, all you could heard from the national media was how much of a dominate player he was... but you won't have much of a career if the coach has to put you on the bench during the final minutes of the game.It's as if our coach knows what he's doing [emoji23]

jovs
04-27-2019, 01:04 PM
I tend to agree with you, but I suspect we'll still see quite a bit of Amir at PG.

In the scrimage last fall Carr and Coffey played together, Carr played off ball more than with it, that might be because Coffey was designated the PG if Carr wasn't eligible but Carr looked comfortable playing off ball, not sure if Coffey comes back he won't be playing PG.

builtbadgers
04-27-2019, 03:58 PM
It is interesting how Pitino's "hack a happ" did a great deal to expose a major weakness in his game. You could see from his reaction in the post-game press conference that Happ knew his NBA dreams had been shattered. Up until that, all you could heard from the national media was how much of a dominate player he was... but you won't have much of a career if the coach has to put you on the bench during the final minutes of the game.

NBA people knew way before hack a Happ that he had the problem. They knew if he could not turn, face and make a shot longer than 3 feet that he had no future. Tons of bad free throw shooters in the NBA, but if you can not play to the court on offense your dead.

builtbadgers
04-27-2019, 04:12 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Even further proof that it isn't easy to get an invite to the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NBA?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#NBA</a> Draft Combine: Ethan Happ and Jordan Murphy didn't get one. But like Travis, both will have workouts with individual teams in May and June. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Gophers?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Gophers</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Badgers?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Badgers</a></p>— Darren Wolfson (@DWolfsonKSTP) <a href="https://twitter.com/DWolfsonKSTP/status/1122149815205486592?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 27, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Told that former DeLaSalle HS, Stanford, and Kentucky forward Reid Travis didn't get an invite to the Combine. Further proof how hard it is to obtain one. The Combine is in Chicago May 15-19. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Twolves?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Twolves</a> new POBO surely expected in place by then.</p>— Darren Wolfson (@DWolfsonKSTP) <a href="https://twitter.com/DWolfsonKSTP/status/1122139878920159232?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 27, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Invites are not done yet, you can get one anytime from April 26th-May 3rd according to the University of Tennessee . They stop at 69 and have not yet extended 69.

stocker08
04-27-2019, 05:32 PM
Agreed but in the "positionless" world of basketball now, he could end up being a match up nightmare guarding a 6-3 point. His advantage would be on defense. Hard to see him being able to the primary ball handler for 30-40 minutes a game. If whoever wrote the evaluation was paying attention, he might have noticed when he hit the hot streak at the end of the season Dupree was handling the ball a lot more and Amir had more freedom to slash and get open catch and shoot options.I hear yah. I just don't think that he's quick enough to handle the better point guards in the NBA. If he could develop a solid outside shot.....Coffey could be a really good NBA player.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

builtbadgers
04-27-2019, 05:46 PM
He will eventually be awarded a good look as he has some high end skills for someone with the length. His weaknesses are areas he can mark up and he is a tireless worker.

Gopher Teeth
04-27-2019, 06:33 PM
In the scrimage last fall Carr and Coffey played together, Carr played off ball more than with it, that might be because Coffey was designated the PG if Carr wasn't eligible but Carr looked comfortable playing off ball, not sure if Coffey comes back he won't be playing PG.

If you watch a lot of Carrís highlights from his freshman year, there are a lot of them where he is making plays by receiving a pass. After watching that I thought this very same thing, that we are probably still going to see a decent amount of Amir at the point. Only this time it wonít be out of necessity but because it provides an advantage.

vagopher
04-27-2019, 09:43 PM
Sadly, people tend to believe what they want to. We live in a time, in my opinion, when conspiracy theories are more readily embraced, or manufactured, to advance personal and political agendas. Thankfully Richard Coffey has stepped up to quash the false rumor that his son hated his coach. Both father and son deserved our respect, and Richard deserves our thanks. I hope some lessons have been learned.

bizzle22
04-28-2019, 12:11 AM

Pitino certainly implemented the Hack a Happ strategy effectively in that game and deserves credit for doing so. But let's not pretend like he invented it, or exposed a weakness in Happ that no one knew about. There was a whole thread on the Wisconsin board a month before we played them about how it would probably be best to pull him near the end of close games. Happ's FT issues have been well known his entire career.

schlegs
04-28-2019, 03:36 AM
if you were an nba scout. would happ travis, or murphy potentially make your team better in the future..probably not....amir maybe...hes a 40 percent spot up shooter and proved he can handle the ball... his assist to turnover ratio was fine, and he gets to the basket at will.. not to mention his best aspect is in the open floor, which translates to nba (why scouts care more about aau than college ball)..kid needs to do whats best for him....not saying its nba...but hes the best player we've had on this team in a long time, that doesn't limit our potential so id love to have him back