Shama: Look for Fred Hoiberg to make Minnesota a prime recruiting target

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

Look for former Timberwolves player and executive Fred Hoiberg, now the new head coach at Nebraska, to make the state of Minnesota a prime recruiting target. Hoiberg’s name is respected by the state’s basketball fans and coaches. When he was head coach at Iowa State his recruits included former Hopkins all-stater Royce White who transferred from the Gophers.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Hoiberg is a transfer guy not a high school recruiter... Iowa wiped Iowa st out with respect to signing in state talent

Yes but Iowa State was a winning program......Fred will snag a MN recruit or two that Pitino cannot attract.

Hoiberg is a transfer guy not a high school recruiter... Iowa wiped Iowa st out with respect to signing in state talent

A lot of people thought he would have probably gotten Coffey if he hadn't left for the Bulls. I also saw him up recruiting at St Olaf when they used to have the sections there with Apple Valley, Eastview, Lakeville North and South, Eagan, Rosemount and two other teams that never made it up there. Maybe Park of Cottage Grove and Hastings.

Yep. He'll go big into Texas and West Coast. I'd rate Lincoln and Ames about equal- D+ in a destination kids want to attend.

It would be stupid of him not too.

How many Minnesota high schoolers signed with him when he was coach of Iowa state.

My research tells me Calvin Godfrey is the only ONE he ever signed from Minnesota as a college head coach.
This angle is completely overblown.

A lot of people thought he would have probably gotten Coffey if he hadn't left for the Bulls. I also saw him up recruiting at St Olaf when they used to have the sections there with Apple Valley, Eastview, Lakeville North and South, Eagan, Rosemount and two other teams that never made it up there. Maybe Park of Cottage Grove and Hastings.

A lot of people say I would’ve played in the nfl if I would’ve signed with the nfl

Yes if Minnesota has D1 kids they will be recruited by D1 schools. Duke is recruiting in minnesota so I'm sure nebraska will too. Why not. No brainer!

No offense but if we lose substantial recruits to Nebraska Pitino needs to go.

per Shama:

Look for former Timberwolves player and executive Fred Hoiberg, now the new head coach at Nebraska, to make the state of Minnesota a prime recruiting target. Hoiberg’s name is respected by the state’s basketball fans and coaches. When he was head coach at Iowa State his recruits included former Hopkins all-stater Royce White who transferred from the Gophers.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!
Because there are so many kids from Minnesota who want to go to...Nebraska.
And mentioning Royce White as evidence of a 'get' is omitting quite a bit of backstory.

I would hope that Pitino and staff have a better working relationship with the state high school and AAU coaches than to be super concerned about a staff from Nebraska who hasn't been in the college coaching game for a few years suddenly stealing all our homegrown talent.

On the other hand, one could argue that the track record of the U landing in-state recruits is already shaky, so what difference does Hoiberg really make.

I would hope that Pitino and staff have a better working relationship with the state high school and AAU coaches than to be super concerned about a staff from Nebraska who hasn't been in the college coaching game for a few years suddenly stealing all our homegrown talent.

On the other hand, one could argue that the track record of the U landing in-state recruits is already shaky, so what difference does Hoiberg really make.

one could also argue that the track record of the U landing in-state recruits is already strong

Coffey/Hurt/Johnson/Omersa/Oturu/Kalschuer say hi

one could also argue that the track record of the U landing in-state recruits is already strong

Coffey/Hurt/Johnson/Omersa/Oturu/Kalschuer say hi

oh, I agree with you there. I'm thinking about those that people think we "missed" on like Davison, Reuvers, Wright, all of 2019, etc. I'm happy with our past in-state recruiting successes. I would have liked to see Zeke Nnaji play here, and Terry would have been a great get, but they both seemed destined to play elsewhere.

It wouldn’t shock me if Hoiberg has more success recruiting MN talent than Pitino.

There is not a lot of graduate transfer players in Minnesota, who is he going to get?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I do not think Fred will recruit Minnesota better than Pitino.

I'm not worried about Fred recruiting Minnesota. I'm worried about him making Nebraska a consistent upper-division B1G team via other methods. Miles to Hoiberg is a huge upgrade.

oh, I agree with you there. I'm thinking about those that people think we "missed" on like Davison, Reuvers, Wright, all of 2019, etc. I'm happy with our past in-state recruiting successes. I would have liked to see Zeke Nnaji play here, and Terry would have been a great get, but they both seemed destined to play elsewhere.

McKinley Wright was clearly a miss. I’m glad Davison and Reuvers aren’t Gophers, but both had offers and went to a rival.

Top Bottom