After a slow start, Jarrett Culver makes the winning plays for Texas Tech

DanielHouse

Reaction score
In big moments, the best players make winning plays. Texas Tech star Jarrett Culver wasn’t hitting any shots during Saturday night’s semifinal. Spartans guard Matt McQuaid was in his back pocket the entire night. Culver missed his first six shots, but was aggressive when the Re Raiders needed it the most.

Michigan State went on a 19-6 run to cut Texas Tech’s lead to 52-51. That’s when the Red Raiders’ top player came alive. A tough contested jumper was the beginning of his seven-point outburst in the final two minutes. The 9-0 run lifted the Red Raiders to a 61-51 victory, punching their ticket to Monday’s National Championship.

After a three-game losing streak early in the year, Texas Tech found a rhythm and believed they could make it to the final Monday of the season. After the game, players said head coach Chris Beard instilled a confidence in everyone. It’s helped them make a run to the National Championship. When the team’s best player wasn’t hitting hitting shots, nobody flinched.

"My team trusts me and my coaches trust me and that means a lot to me. When you have a whole team that trusts you and the whole coaching staff trusts you, you keep shooting with confidence,” Culver said after the game. “They kept putting the ball in my hand."

Culver had just three points until the final minutes, but his teammates picked up the slack. Matt Mooney, the unlikely hero, has stepped up for the entire NCAA Tournament. Mooney had 22 points, including four three-pointers in the team’s win. The journey has been surreal for Mooney, who started his basketball career at Air Force. He transferred to South Dakota and eventually landed at Texas Tech. On Saturday night, he was on the big stage for the entire world to see.

“I can't explain it, man. It's been a heck of a journey. A lot of people have helped me get to this point, have helped me along the way. You know, this is -- I'm living the dream right now. I'm so grateful I got another opportunity,” Mooney said after the game. “I'm so grateful for this coaching staff believing in me, and these guys, my teammates believing in me and welcoming me into this program.”

Texas Tech muscled around in the post against one of the most physical front lines in college basketball. They also smothered Michigan State on defense, holding them to just 32 percent shooting. The constant communication, effort and high-energy plays were the difference. Michigan State star guard Cassius Winston had just 16 points on 4-for-16 shooting. The perimeter defense suffocated the Spartans and led to 11 turnovers.

“They got their hands on a lot of balls. We could have been a lot better, though. I think part of it was us being casual with the basketball or not being strong enough, not executing well enough,” guard Cassius Winston said after the game. “We could have done a better job on that part, but their defense was really good also.”

The Spartans pulled within one-point, but Texas Tech made the winning plays. They now have a chance to bring a championship back to campus. It’s something guard Jarrett Culver, a Lubbock native, can’t help but think about.

"It would be everything,” he said. “I'd never thought Tech would get to this point growing up in Lubbock. Now being here and being a part of it is just so special to me."

Last edited:

Top Bottom