What does Pitino have to do in 2020-2021 to keep his job?

watertown 1987 guy n

Reaction score
Just thought I’d start this thread since the vast majority of coaches are evaluated year to year.

1)Run a clean program
2)Bring excitement and fan interest to Gopher basketball that sells seats

Arkansas will give him a pass the first year, probably the first 4 years

Hire his dad as an assistant coach. :cool02:

The same thing he does every season...put a mediocre product on the floor. Win a game or two that wasn't expected. Get on the bubble and hobble in the tourney with a double digit seed and the Gopher nation will consider it a success to have made the tourney. Rinse and repeat for the next season. Everyone will be happy as the expectations were so low to begin with.

Stay alive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So many ways one could go with this...

1) Walk on water

2) Eliminate all other living basketball coaches at the DI, DII and DIII levels.

And there would still be considerable debate here regarding his future.

JTG

The same thing he does every season...put a mediocre product on the floor. Win a game or two that wasn't expected. Get on the bubble and hobble in the tourney with a double-digit seed and the Gopher nation will consider it a success to have made the tourney. Rinse and repeat for the next season. Everyone will be happy as the expectations were so low, to begin with.

I strongly disagree with this. I for one believe that Pitino is maturing and will likely become a very successful coach. I expect that he will eventually bring the program to a new level. The key to success, in my opinion, is patience; not repeated cycles of starting over again. No way am I content with an occasional double-digit seed NCAA appearance.

I strongly disagree with this. I for one believe that Pitino is maturing and will likely become a very successful coach. I expect that he will eventually bring the program to a new level. The key to success, in my opinion, is patience; not repeated cycles of starting over again. No way am I content with an occasional double-digit seed NCAA appearance.

Again, that's just not the case. Posted this on the 2019-20 thread...Dutcher resigned half way through his 11th season, U asked for Haskin's to resign after his 13th season and the scandal, Monson resigned at the beginning of his eighth season, Smith was fired after losing the round of 32 game at the end of his sixth season.

72 of Pitino's 90 losses are in conference play.

Since the end of the 2017-18 regular season, there have been something close to 90 new HC hires in Div 1 basketball.

Again, that's just not the case. Posted this on the 2019-20 thread...Dutcher resigned half way through his 11th season, U asked for Haskin's to resign after his 13th season and the scandal, Monson resigned at the beginning of his eighth season, Smith was fired after losing the round of 32 game at the end of his sixth season.

72 of Pitino's 90 losses are in conference play.

Since the end of the 2017-18 regular season, there have been something close to 90 new HC hires in Div 1 basketball.

Whether it was vacated or not, Haskins got Minnesota to the final four and I believe we would have continued to compete at a high level had he not been forced to resign. I think Pitino has more upside potential than Monson had. Smith started out strong with a solid initial recruiting class, but when that class blew up, he seemed to lose his motivation. Had we not lost four of our top rotation players last year, we would have been on an strong upward trajectory, and I don’t think many would be calling for Pitino’s replacement. I think his last recruiting class has a lot of potential. I’ve been concerned about the incoming class, but I am hopeful that the extension announced to today, will help him close it strong.

1) Walk on water

2) Eliminate all other living basketball coaches at the DI, DII and DIII levels.

And there would still be considerable debate here regarding his future.

JTG

Its not like the masses are restless in spite of a great level of success by Pitino. He has 1 tournament win and 2 appearances in 6 seasons, and a sub .400 B1G winning percentage. If he has us within a game or two of a B1G title, or gets us into the second weekend of the tournament next year, there will only be a few idiots calling for his head. Most of this board (including myself), wants him back next year in spite of a very unimpressive six year tenure. It is tough to argue that Pitino has not enjoyed a very long leash here.

The key to success, in my opinion, is patience; not repeated cycles of starting over again.

If you look at the power 6 conferences, you will find that the substantial majority of coaches in those leagues have been at their programs less than 10 years. The minority who have been at programs longer have been pretty successful. The correct logical inference from that data is that success leads to long-tenures, not that long-tenures lead to success.

I think any assessment of the state of the program should start with this question: How much do you blame Pitino for the injuries/creepy Reggie fiasco that completely derailed the 2017-18 season?

My answer is, "not at all." Stuff happened, we lost three key starters and plummeted from the Top 20 to ignominy.

If those personnel losses hadn't occurred, it's highly likely we make the NCAA last year, which would make this our third year in a row. That would put us in a group of about 20 programs who managed to do the same. (And, if Coffey returns, I don't think it takes a flight of fancy to see us contending for a tournament berth again next year.)

Given what this program has "accomplished" in the last thirty-some years, I have an extremely difficult time looking at the last three years and thinking, "You know what this program needs is a new coach."

JTG

I think any assessment of the state of the program should start with this question: How much do you blame Pitino for the injuries/creepy Reggie fiasco that completely derailed the 2017-18 season?

My answer is, "not at all." Stuff happened, we lost three key starters and plummeted from the Top 20 to ignominy.

If those personnel losses hadn't occurred, it's highly likely we make the NCAA last year, which would make this our third year in a row. That would put us in a group of about 20 programs who managed to do the same. (And, if Coffey returns, I don't think it takes a flight of fancy to see us contending for a tournament berth again next year.)

Given what this program has "accomplished" in the last thirty-some years, I have an extremely difficult time looking at the last three years and thinking, "You know what this program needs is a new coach."

JTG

This makes a lot of sense to me

JTG

The word IF disqualifies everything for me. In my mind we had really not done anything and were playing poorly before Lynch. Plus, I PUT ALL THE LYNCH GARBAGE ON HIM. Tons of schools knew he was a low character high risk kid. This year we were under .500. If he is so good he should have a top 3 finish by year 7. Great coaches do more than that by year 7.

What has lynch been convicted of....nothing....Think before you post

The word IF disqualifies everything for me. In my mind we had really not done anything and were playing poorly before Lynch. Plus, I PUT ALL THE LYNCH GARBAGE ON HIM. Tons of schools knew he was a low character high risk kid. This year we were under .500. If he is so good he should have a top 3 finish by year 7. Great coaches do more than that by year 7.

If "IF" disqualifies everything for you, why are you pushing a premise that says, "If we fire our coach, we will be better"?

JTG

Smooth putting top 3 finish knowing we were #4 in 2016-17.

If you look at the power 6 conferences, you will find that the substantial majority of coaches in those leagues have been at their programs less than 10 years. The minority who have been at programs longer have been pretty successful. The correct logical inference from that data is that success leads to long-tenures, not that long-tenures lead to success.

Undoubtedly, there is a strong positive correlation between long-tenures and success, but what we don’t know, from the data you cite, is the role played by early patience in reaching those tenures. It’s my understanding that it took several years for Coach K to establish the Duke Program, as we know it now, and that before he did, there were numerous calls to fire him. Nor do we know how many of the substantial majority of Power 6 schools, with coaches who have less than 10 years tenure, have failed to reach the 10-year level because they have repeatedly and unwisely recycled their coach. Obviously, if it is clear that a coach is unlikely to be successful, the best course is to make a change as early as possible. And ordinarily, I would agree that 6 seasons is more than enough to make that determination. But there are reasons why I believe that is not true in Pitino’s case. In the first place, I don’t think he was ready to take on a Power 6 program at the time he was hired, if for no other reason than he had only one year of head coaching experience at the time. I think that made it very difficult for him to recruit initially, and a number of his early recruits simply were not up to standard. But I have found him to be articulate, poised, principled and a quick learner. I think he is growing into his job and that he has a very substantial upside. I think this would have been much clearer had he not lost 4 of his top 6 rotation players a year ago. But, with this in mind, I believe the trajectory of this program is going in the right direction, and that’s ultimately the judgment that needs to be made. I am very impressed with last year’s recruiting class; and, with today’s contract extension, Pitino has a much better chance of building on that class. I would have hated to see the investment we have made in him thus far thrown away by replacing him now. There will be time enough for that if things take a downward turn.

Undoubtedly, there is a strong positive correlation between long-tenures and success, but what we don’t know, from the data you cite, is the role played by early patience in reaching those tenures. It’s my understanding that it took several years for Coach K to establish the Duke Program, as we know it now, and that before he did, there were numerous calls to fire him. Nor do we know how many of the substantial majority of Power 6 schools, with coaches who have less than 10 years tenure, have failed to reach the 10-year level because they have repeatedly and unwisely recycled their coach. Obviously, if it is clear that a coach is unlikely to be successful, the best course is to make a change as early as possible. And ordinarily, I would agree that 6 seasons is more than enough to make that determination. But there are reasons why I believe that is not true in Pitino’s case. In the first place, I don’t think he was ready to take on a Power 6 program at the time he was hired, if for no other reason than he had only one year of head coaching experience at the time. I think that made it very difficult for him to recruit initially, and a number of his early recruits simply were not up to standard. But I have found him to be articulate, poised, principled and a quick learner. I think he is growing into his job and that he has a very substantial upside. I think this would have been much clearer had he not lost 4 of his top 6 rotation players a year ago. But, with this in mind, I believe the trajectory of this program is going in the right direction, and that’s ultimately the judgment that needs to be made. I am very impressed with last year’s recruiting class; and, with today’s contract extension, Pitino has a much better chance of building on that class. I would have hated to see the investment we have made in him thus far thrown away by replacing him now. There will be time enough for that if things take a downward turn.

Just stop with the patience bit.

Smooth putting top 3 finish knowing we were #4 in 2016-17.

Simply comes down to each fan thinking for themselves what will be good enough in their eyes to think what he does in year 7 is good enough. For those that think i want him out i have already stated that i am favor of the extension in light of not being able to upgrade. For me that now requires actually doing great not under .500 again.

Simply comes down to each fan thinking for themselves what will be good enough in their eyes to think what he does in year 7 is good enough. For those that think i want him out i have already stated that i am favor of the extension in light of not being able to upgrade. For me that now requires actually doing great not under .500 again.

Pitino would have to win the conference 5 straight years for you to provide any positive on him. I, for one, am very very clear on your Pitino perspective.

Your preference is for him to be gone. And yet you back away when asked to name names that would both hire on here and win. Your posts are clear built.

has there been a report that we were looking at coaches? do you have inside info that we were trying to upgrade the coach? you have insinuated as much in this post

has there been a report that we were looking at coaches? do you have inside info that we were trying to upgrade the coach? you have insinuated as much in this post

The built mode of operation.........

Top Bottom