The ugly Metrodome was site of two beautiful Final Fours and a power-packed regional

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Souhan:

Duke had fallen behind by 22 points to Maryland. Mike Krzyzewski hadn’t won a national title since the last time he coached in Minneapolis, nine years earlier, and was facing an early and perhaps embarrassing Final four exit with a team seemingly built for greatness.

It was Saturday, March 31, 2001, and the Metrodome was filled with noise. Not the kind of can’t-hear-yourself-scream jet engines of Twins World Series and Vikings-Packers games, but the joyful cacophony of college basketball. Duke fans were screaming, Duke haters were screaming louder, and pep bands dueled for aural supremacy.

Duke’s reserves were screaming, too, right into the faces of Shane Battier and Jay Williams as they sat on the bench and Krzyzewski huddled with his assistants. Then Krzyzewski turned, returned to the huddle and inadvertently looked me right in the eye, flinching as if I had interrupted an intimate ritual, a father praying with children.

It was a strange moment, and one of my favorite memories as a Minnesota-based sportswriter — sitting within a few feet of this particular kind of genius, as Duke rallied to win the game, then won the national title and put Krzyzewski back on track to being considered one of the greatest coaches ever.

Over the next few days, a curtained version of U.S. Bank Stadium will play host to the 2019 Final Four. What visitors may not know or remember is that the decrepit Metrodome, one of the world’s least likely venues for premium hoops events, provided the stage for three remarkable tournaments that brought a procession of Who’s Who and Who-Would-Become basketball names to the stadium site that once flanked the original Hubert’s.

http://www.startribune.com/the-ugly...its-featured-events-over-the-years/508141662/

Go Gophers!!

I'm out of free reads, so can't see whole story.

Please tell me the Dome regional Souhan is referring to is the one with the 1989 Flyin' Illini, Syracuse, etc. Flyin' Illini one of the best and most entertaining college basketball teams I've ever seen in person. Unbelievable team, yet they still didn't win it all. That's the purest definition of March Madness. Only takes one to get knocked out.

Last edited:

I'm out of free reads, so can't see whole story.

Please tell me the Dome regional Souhan is referring to is the one with the 1989 Flyin' Illini, Syracuse, etc. Flyin' Illini one of the best and most entertaining college basketball teams I've ever seen in person. Unbelievable team, yet they still didn't win it all. That's the purest definition of March Madness. Only takes one to get knocked out.

It looks like the Gophers gave Illinois their first loss that season.

In addition to 1989, the Metrodome also hosted regionals in 1996 and 2003, but the clear impression from the column is that he's describing the only three NCAA basketball events held there (it also hosted numerous first- and second-round games). In Souhan's world it's like they didn't happen because he wasn't there.

That 1989 regional, btw, was so poorly run, and ran into so many logistical problems, that the NCAA very briefly considered taking the 1992 Final Four away (I was a very low-level underling in the athletic department at the time).

In addition to 1989, the Metrodome also hosted regionals in 1996 and 2003, but the clear impression from the column is that he's describing the only three NCAA basketball events held there (it also hosted numerous first- and second-round games). In Souhan's world it's like they didn't happen because he wasn't there.

That 1989 regional, btw, was so poorly run, and ran into so many logistical problems, that the NCAA very briefly considered taking the 1992 Final Four away (I was a very low-level underling in the athletic department at the time).

Was that when they had the water on the court issues?

Is the third event he's referring to the one where Dwayne Wade wrecked shop on Pittsburgh and Kentucky?

Was that when they had the water on the court issues?

Yes - one of the Illinois players slipped on water, I believe during a practice; there were fears he wouldn't play but he was able to. The larger issue was that the U did not have nearly enough people in its athletic department to do all the things that go on with hosting a regional, and things were made worse by the fact that the hockey team was hosting an NCAA regional the same weekend and the Gophers, out of nowhere, made it to the Sweet 16 that season. The athletic depatment at that time was still in some ways in the Paul Giel area, and was way behind the times.

Yes - one of the Illinois players slipped on water, I believe during a practice; there were fears he wouldn't play but he was able to. The larger issue was that the U did not have nearly enough people in its athletic department to do all the things that go on with hosting a regional, and things were made worse by the fact that the hockey team was hosting an NCAA regional the same weekend and the Gophers, out of nowhere, made it to the Sweet 16 that season. The athletic depatment at that time was still in some ways in the Paul Giel area, and was way behind the times.

Do the universities even have direct involvement anymore? I know they "host", but I'm assuming they have little to do with the operations part at US Bank.

Top Bottom