Deputy AD on Pitino: “still young and growing...we know he can recruit"

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Anderson:

John Cunningham, deputy athletics director for the University of Minnesota, provided “a little bit of a state of the union” on Golden Gophers sports at Monday’s meeting of the Rotary Club of Owatonna and told fans, supporters, and alumni the program needs their “advocacy, leadership, and investment.”

Mark Coyle, Minnesota’s AD, was actually scheduled to address the Rotary Club, and he “wanted to be here,” but he was in Connecticut Sunday night to watch the Gopher’s women’s hockey team fall in the national championship to the Wisconsin Badgers, so Cunningham appeared in his stead, Cunningham explained. Owatonna “is a staple of our Gopher road trips,” and it “means a lot to us to be in this area.”

Cunningham also just finished a busy travel season, as he’s the sport administrator for Minnesota’s men’s basketball team, which concluded its season Saturday in Des Moines with a second-round loss in the NCAA Tournament to Michigan State after beating Louisville in the opening round Thursday, when the Gophers “probably played their best game of the year,” Cunningham said. This season was “definitely a step forward” for Gophers men’s basketball.

Of the 350-plus teams playing Division I men’s basketball, only 68 reach the zenith of “March Madness,” and only 32 make it past the first round. Richard Pitino, Minnesota’s 36-year-old head coach, is “still young and growing,” but “we know he can recruit,” and “guys love playing for him.”

Though the Big Ten schedule is a grind — the conference placed eight of its 14 teams in the NCAA Tournament this month — the Gophers will continue to challenge themselves in non-conference games, as well. Pitino “wants to play a tough non-conference schedule, because that’s how you get into the NCAA Tournament,” Cunningham said

http://www.southernminn.com/owatonn...cle_40117c66-749a-5fd9-aee1-56244dc55f56.html

Go Gophers!!

per Anderson:

John Cunningham, deputy athletics director for the University of Minnesota, provided “a little bit of a state of the union” on Golden Gophers sports at Monday’s meeting of the Rotary Club of Owatonna and told fans, supporters, and alumni the program needs their “advocacy, leadership, and investment.”

Mark Coyle, Minnesota’s AD, was actually scheduled to address the Rotary Club, and he “wanted to be here,” but he was in Connecticut Sunday night to watch the Gopher’s women’s hockey team fall in the national championship to the Wisconsin Badgers, so Cunningham appeared in his stead, Cunningham explained. Owatonna “is a staple of our Gopher road trips,” and it “means a lot to us to be in this area.”

Cunningham also just finished a busy travel season, as he’s the sport administrator for Minnesota’s men’s basketball team, which concluded its season Saturday in Des Moines with a second-round loss in the NCAA Tournament to Michigan State after beating Louisville in the opening round Thursday, when the Gophers “probably played their best game of the year,” Cunningham said. This season was “definitely a step forward” for Gophers men’s basketball.

Of the 350-plus teams playing Division I men’s basketball, only 68 reach the zenith of “March Madness,” and only 32 make it past the first round. Richard Pitino, Minnesota’s 36-year-old head coach, is “still young and growing,” but “we know he can recruit,” and “guys love playing for him.”

Though the Big Ten schedule is a grind — the conference placed eight of its 14 teams in the NCAA Tournament this month — the Gophers will continue to challenge themselves in non-conference games, as well. Pitino “wants to play a tough non-conference schedule, because that’s how you get into the NCAA Tournament,” Cunningham said

http://www.southernminn.com/owatonn...cle_40117c66-749a-5fd9-aee1-56244dc55f56.html

Go Gophers!!

I hope they do pursue a tough non-conference schedule every year...it's much better for the fans.

sounds like the way they sell to the administration to keep Pitino on

Deputy AD? Barney Fife to Coyle's Andy Taylor?

I hope they do pursue a tough non-conference schedule every year...it's much better for the fans.

I eagerly await our match up with St Mary's school for the blind

with that said, the B1G is such a grind I'm ok with some cream puffs in there

It would be nice if we could get to a place where, when someone wants to talk up the coach, they are able to say "hey, regardless of what you think of the guy, it's tough to argue with his record."

I eagerly await our match up with St Mary's school for the blind

with that said, the B1G is such a grind I'm ok with some cream puffs in there

As long as we hammer them by 40 points and don't have any turnovers so we can keep our NET up.

It would be nice if we could get to a place where, when someone wants to talk up the coach, they are able to say "hey, regardless of what you think of the guy, it's tough to argue with his record."

As soon as that happens everyone will panic and wonder when he's leaving.

As soon as that happens everyone will panic and wonder when he's leaving.

Ain't that the truth. My list of football and basketball coaches that I remember people worrying about being so successful they would leave for a better job includes Mason, Brewster, Kill, Monson, and Tubby.

Ain't that the truth. My list of football and basketball coaches that I remember people worrying about being so successful they would leave for a better job includes Mason, Brewster, Kill, Monson, and Tubby.

Funny, you don’t even include the only coach that actually left the U for another job! It just doesn’t happen to B1G coaches, so don’t worry about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Funny, you don’t even include the only coach that actually left the U for another job! It just doesn’t happen to B1G coaches, so don’t worry about it.

Are you talking about Holtz? My list went back to my freshman year at the U, he was before my time. The only other ones I can think of are Molinari, Horton, and Claeys, and I dont remember that discussion about those three (two of whom were interim). Am I missing someone?

This is interesting in light of the recent Tim Miles news. When they fired Monson I hoped against hope that they'd give Tim a look, but the drumbeat I got around here was that he was too young and inexperienced to consider for this kind of high major job. In retrospect, Miles was more ready at that time than Pitino was when the Gophers hired him. Just observing how the narrative and justification moves around and changes depending on what people's agendas are.

This is interesting in light of the recent Tim Miles news. When they fired Monson I hoped against hope that they'd give Tim a look, but the drumbeat I got around here was that he was too young and inexperienced to consider for this kind of high major job. In retrospect, Miles was more ready at that time than Pitino was when the Gophers hired him. Just observing how the narrative and justification moves around and changes depending on what people's agendas are.

Good observation. Remember the bozo AD we had at the time and how that search was handled.

Good observation. Remember the bozo AD we had at the time and how that search was handled.

In fairness, they had hired Shaka Smart at VCU and hoped to hire the next Shaka Smart here. Besides being a seemingly bungled process, it should be recognized as a calculated gamble, which is not a completely out-of-whack move.

In fairness, they had hired Shaka Smart at VCU and hoped to hire the next Shaka Smart here. Besides being a seemingly bungled process, it should be recognized as a calculated gamble, which is not a completely out-of-whack move.

And the first Shaka Smart still has not proven himself as an elite high major coach at a place built for sustained success. All hires are a gamble at some level.

As long as they mix in enough really terrible cupcakes they can beat by 50 for NET purposes. No good lower-conference teams.

Are you talking about Holtz? My list went back to my freshman year at the U, he was before my time. The only other ones I can think of are Molinari, Horton, and Claeys, and I dont remember that discussion about those three (two of whom were interim). Am I missing someone?

The point is “none of them left for greener pastures”! (On their own, not fired, etc..)

Top Bottom