PDA

View Full Version : Amir Coffey

gophersfan
03-24-2019, 09:30 AM
So thoughts is he coming back for his senior year or is he going Pro.

UpAndUnder43
03-24-2019, 09:36 AM
As has been discussed at length, he will go into the draft process to get evaluated. I’m guessing he doesn’t get a round 1 grade and comes back for his senior year.

e.bigelow
03-24-2019, 09:54 AM
Selfishly I would like to see him back. But I want Amir to make the best choice for Amir.

JimmyJamesMD
03-24-2019, 09:58 AM
I could see a team giving him a first round promise. A team that really falls in love with him. That being said, with that jumper, I dont know which team that would be. With his low release, and his lack of range, its going to be an uphill battle for him to be an NBA player. But it just takes one team.

I think he's back for his senior year.

Keyser SŲze
03-24-2019, 10:04 AM
Selfishly I would like to see him back. But I want Amir to make the best choice for Amir.

Objectively, I don't think leaving early to be a second round pick is what's best for him. I think if he comes back with even a slightly improved outside shot and proves he can be a big time scorer for a full season, then he will have a much, much better chance at being a first round pick.

LongLiveMilesTarver
03-24-2019, 10:08 AM
As mentioned in a previous thread, last year there were 236 early entries.

Coffey (and Oturu) are obviously better than at least 200 of them. Kids make stupid choices all the time so I hold my breath on any player that is an average player or better.

cncmin
03-24-2019, 10:25 AM

Coffey (and Oturu) are obviously better than at least 200 of them. Kids make stupid choices all the time so I hold my breath on any player that is an average player or better.

Not sure where you're getting that from. Coffey wasn't even the best player on the court last night (Winston, and arguably Murphy and/or others). Coffey is really, really good, and should be the star of the team next year. But he needs to improve his handle and passing to be a top-tier pick. That said, who knows.

RolGnav
03-24-2019, 10:32 AM
One more year, and being more consistent will help him raise his stock, as of now, I just don't see him getting drafted unless the Wolves feel obligated like they did with Rick Rickert.

goldengophers
03-24-2019, 10:45 AM
One more year, and being more consistent will help him raise his stock, as of now, I just don't see him getting drafted unless the Wolves feel obligated like they did with Rick Rickert.

Next year's draft will include freshmen and HS Seniors so he may want to attempt this year.

Sparlimb
03-24-2019, 10:47 AM
I think he's gone. That's my personal opinion with nothing to back it up. But its dangerous to go without being a first round pick. 2nd rounders don't get guaranteed contracts.

Lakers612
03-24-2019, 10:49 AM
Next year's draft will include freshmen and HS Seniors so he may want to attempt this year.

yup... we've also seen instances where a player comes back and shows no real improvement, which ultimately hurts their draft stock. if Coffey is given a second round grade he should really consider it.. if he elects to stay he me say see 5-10 high school seniors next year opt for the draft and push him out of the 2nd round

Lakers612
03-24-2019, 10:51 AM
I think he's gone. That's my personal opinion with nothing to back it up. But its dangerous to go without being a first round pick. 2nd rounders don't get guaranteed contracts.

that's not true

https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2018/05/10/in-the-money-second-round-picks-cash-in-guaranteed-contracts-at-exceedingly-high-rates/

JimmyJamesMD
03-24-2019, 10:52 AM
that's not true

https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2018/05/10/in-the-money-second-round-picks-cash-in-guaranteed-contracts-at-exceedingly-high-rates/

First rd picks are guaranteed to get a guaranteed contract. Big difference

Lakers612
03-24-2019, 10:59 AM
First rd picks are guaranteed to get a guaranteed contract. Big difference

I was responding to a direct statement that claimed 2nd round picks don't get guaranteed contracts... I understand the difference in terms of financial stability. I also understand that if Coffey comes back there is no guarantee he becomes a 1st round pick, let alone keeps that 2nd-round projection if he were to get one this year

Ozzy&Ray
03-24-2019, 11:08 AM

This year includes freshman and high school seniors. Whatís the difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ozzy&Ray
03-24-2019, 11:09 AM
Not sure where you're getting that from. Coffey wasn't even the best player on the court last night (Winston, and arguably Murphy and/or others). Coffey is really, really good, and should be the star of the team next year. But he needs to improve his handle and passing to be a top-tier pick. That said, who knows.

Improve shooting more than anything. If you canít consistently hit an open jumper in the NBA you rarely play.

Goldteam
03-24-2019, 11:11 AM
The last 7 or 8 games it seemed Coffey had more aggression. Almost like he had figured something out.

Lakers612
03-24-2019, 11:11 AM
This year includes freshman and high school seniors. Whatís the difference?

no it doesn't... high school seniors can only enter the draft for the NBA's 2020-2021 season

Goldteam
03-24-2019, 11:12 AM
Improve shooting more than anything. If you can’t consistently hit an open jumper in the NBA you rarely play.

True, but if you sit on the end of the bench in the NBA, you are a millionaire. Have you seen some of the schit on the end of the wolves bench?

I'd be very worried that Coffey is gone.

SJUgopher
03-24-2019, 11:15 AM
He should declare without an agent. I don't think he will be told he will be drafted, but if he will be, he should definitely say in.

ltf
03-24-2019, 11:19 AM
Cannot imagine Coffey being a first rounder. If not, most likely has to choose between beginning a career overseas or come back for his senior season and elevate his stock. Seems like most in that situation over the years choose to come back.

Lakers612
03-24-2019, 11:21 AM
Cannot imagine Coffey being a first rounder. If not, most likely has to choose between beginning a career overseas or come back for his senior season and elevate his stock. Seems like most in that situation over the years choose to come back.

This is a unique situation considering two drafts from now high school players will be eligible for the draft. If Coffey foregoes this one, he may be on the outside looking in as we can expect around 5 high schools to opt for the draft

ltf
03-24-2019, 11:28 AM
This is a unique situation considering two drafts from now high school players will be eligible for the draft. If Coffey foregoes this one, he may be on the outside looking in as we can expect around 5 high schools to opt for the draft

Still would think he would have a better chance at first round next season. Spend all offseason working on shot and handles.

RolGnav
03-24-2019, 11:33 AM
I think he'll have a monster year next year if we get some good PG play. Which is why I think he'll raise his stock. I seriously think by him having to worry about being a PG probably wasn't to his advantage. Yes, I know that's what his dad wants, but let's face it, his handles are not good enough to be a real PG. I just think he should concentrate on scoring and not ball handling.

mnsportsgeek
03-24-2019, 11:42 AM
Honestly, given the uncertainty of this roster I would go if I were him. How much can he really raise his stock next year? Best case scenario he ends up a G league project which he already is now. Go get paid. Even if he doesn't make it in America, there is a lucrative career awaiting him around the world.

alchemy2u
03-24-2019, 11:58 AM
I think Coffey improved his status in the B1G and NCAA tourneys. It will be a tough decision if he gets a good response from the NBA teams. I truly think he will improve with another year, but adding a dozen or so flashy, young players could drop his ranking. NBA teams fall in love with potential that hasnít yet been proven. Remember how Rodney Willams was rated as a early first round pick based upon his athletic ability, but that changed after a few years of playing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GopherVotary
03-24-2019, 12:41 PM
Get paid and get better coaching next year. Seems like a no-brainer.

Goldteam
03-24-2019, 12:50 PM
I think he'll have a monster year next year if we get some good PG play. Which is why I think he'll raise his stock. I seriously think by him having to worry about being a PG probably wasn't to his advantage. Yes, I know that's what his dad wants, but let's face it, his handles are not good enough to be a real PG. I just think he should concentrate on scoring and not ball handling.

After having that experience at point with being doubled off ball screens, he could now be deadly on the wing.

WorkingMyTailOff
03-24-2019, 01:27 PM

Itís funny and MSU fan friend of mine said that Coffey was the best player on the court last night, but as we saw he didnít have much support. He had to force some things last night but I think he would be a star for Michigan, Purdue or Michigan State too.

builtbadgers
03-24-2019, 01:31 PM
It’s funny and MSU fan friend of mine said that Coffey was the best player on the court last night, but as we saw he didn’t have much support. He had to force some things last night but I think he would be a star for Michigan, Purdue or Michigan State too.

He would not have played his position at any of those three places and at two of them would have been required to be a lockdown defender which he should be. He could really feed his offense from his defense because he loves to get downhill.

manderson1984
03-24-2019, 04:43 PM
Part of why he came here was to be a primary ball handler. He's always done that. He'd be dumb to not declare and test the waters. Needs to improve shooting more still and defend better to get drafted. He's a Shaun Livingston type.

Some guy
03-24-2019, 04:47 PM
Personally don’t think Coffey ever sees significant minutes in the nba
If he leaves now, it is to play abroad

Jaykay
03-24-2019, 05:20 PM
Part of why he came here was to be a primary ball handler. He's always done that. He'd be dumb to not declare and test the waters. Needs to improve shooting more still and defend better to get drafted. He's a Shaun Livingston type.

Livingston was a pure point and an infinitely better ball handler and passer than Amir before his injury.

Bob_Loblaw
03-24-2019, 05:22 PM
I actually think Amir's time at PG has hurt his draft stock.

If he played with a natural PG, his shooting numbers would likely look much better. A lot of his threes now are off the bounce.

Plinnius
03-24-2019, 05:34 PM
Yeah, I don't think there are many NBA teams drooling over an older wing who can't shoot, can't rebound, and is physically limited by a weak wingspan (http://www.startribune.com/by-the-numbers-gophers-basketball-team-is-longer-stronger/406426906/).

manderson1984
03-24-2019, 05:36 PM
Livingston was a pure point and an infinitely better ball handler and passer than Amir before his injury.

I was more talking about their roles in the NBA. , but yes you can be correct.

goldenboy
03-24-2019, 05:40 PM
If someone guarantees that heíll go in the first round he should go. Canít see that happening, though. Lots of better players out there. (I love him cause heís ours, but thereís a a first round of better players than him just in the tourney).

alchemy2u
03-24-2019, 05:40 PM
I actually think Amir's time at PG has hurt his draft stock.

If he played with a natural PG, his shooting numbers would likely look much better. A lot of his threes now are off the bounce.

I disagree. He improved his ball skills, and gain more confidence in taking charge of the game.

Bob_Loblaw
03-24-2019, 06:03 PM
I disagree. He improved his ball skills, and gain more confidence in taking charge of the game.

That's not how wings play money in the NBA. One of the most coveted positions is a 3&D wing. He wasted his JR season having to be a point guard and not showing his ability to be a wing.

His three point shooting to a drastic hit by this style of play.

A 6'8" guy who shot 40% from 3, can handle the ball, and finish in transition - - that's a first round player.
A 6'8" guy who shot 30% from 3. That player probably doesn't get drafted in the current NBA.

manderson1984
03-24-2019, 06:21 PM
I wouldn't call 3% change drastic. Amir will probably never be a 40% 3 pt shooter. He will be around 35%. His drop this year in percentage was more having to do with taking contested 3's as well as shooting more of them than he ever has as he became our primary scoring option.

GopherJake
03-24-2019, 09:05 PM
That's not how wings play money in the NBA. One of the most coveted positions is a 3&D wing. He wasted his JR season having to be a point guard and not showing his ability to be a wing.Respectfully disagree. Amir spent this year learning how to handle the basketball against heavy pressure, learning how to go to his right, learning how to create his own shot under duress, learning how to lead the break and learning how to shoot heavily contested threes off no screen or only a high screen.

Next year, if we have a competent PG, he will advance all these things while under less pressure and while being setup to do so, rather than forced to create for himself every single time. But the experience he had this year will continue to prove valuable for years to come. He definitely improved, finally having it all click for the last month. I give both Coffey and Pitino a ton of credit for a lot of hard work that paid off.

upnorthkid
03-24-2019, 09:15 PM
Come back another year. Show you can lock in on D. Amir’s money at the next level is as a slasher that can play D. He showed bursts when he engages, but falls asleep too often. Right now, who would you put him guarding at the next level? He hasn’t shown he can cover a position at the next level and isn’t enough of a scorer to offset that, so he will have very limited interest

GopherPlaya
03-25-2019, 08:16 AM
This whole thread is pointless honestly. I haven't even seen his name in a 1st or 2nd round in any mock draft for 2019 or 2020. He should test the waters but I doubt he gets drafted even if he returns. He is not an efficient scorer, his handles are decent, his jumpshot is inconsistent and his defense is mediocre. He is a great player for us but that doesn't exactly translate to NBA player.

Bad Gopher
03-25-2019, 08:18 AM
Regardless of what he decides to do, if he comes back he'll have a chance to add to his game and become more consistent, which helps all parties. He's a work in progress, and I think he knows that.

GoodasGold
03-25-2019, 08:44 AM
Regardless of what he decides to do, if he comes back he'll have a chance to add to his game and become more consistent, which helps all parties. He's a work in progress, and I think he knows that.

Plus, he most likely will be sporting a new hairdo. :)

Bob_Loblaw
03-25-2019, 08:50 AM
Respectfully disagree. Amir spent this year learning how to handle the basketball against heavy pressure, learning how to go to his right, learning how to create his own shot under duress, learning how to lead the break and learning how to shoot heavily contested threes off no screen or only a high screen.

Next year, if we have a competent PG, he will advance all these things while under less pressure and while being setup to do so, rather than forced to create for himself every single time. But the experience he had this year will continue to prove valuable for years to come. He definitely improved, finally having it all click for the last month. I give both Coffey and Pitino a ton of credit for a lot of hard work that paid off.

I agree he added to those parts of the game, those just aren't nearly as valuable as a wing that knocks down open shots from distance.

Bob_Loblaw
03-25-2019, 08:56 AM
I wouldn't call 3% change drastic. Amir will probably never be a 40% 3 pt shooter. He will be around 35%. His drop this year in percentage was more having to do with taking contested 3's as well as shooting more of them than he ever has as he became our primary scoring option.

He shot 37% as a sophomore and 30% as a junior.

That drop is drastic. I agree with your analysis as to why that drop occurred and I think it's giving him the perception of being a worse shooter than he is. He shot a lot of threes off the bounce. His are more contested than the average wing.

I'd love to see a season of upperclass Amir being able to play wing. He would have more of his outside shots coming with his feet set, less contested. He'll be able to conserve some energy on offense rather than playing iso ball at the end of every shot clock. He'll be able to crash the boards a bit more. You know, play a wing position.

JimmyJamesMD
03-25-2019, 09:00 AM

In his junior season, who exactly set him up for open three pointers to keep him at 37%

salzie
03-25-2019, 09:02 AM

That drop is drastic. I agree with your analysis as to why that drop occurred and I think it's giving him the perception of being a worse shooter than he is. He shot a lot of threes off the bounce. His are more contested than the average wing.

I'd love to see a season of upperclass Amir being able to play wing. He would have more of his outside shots coming with his feet set, less contested. He'll be able to conserve some energy on offense rather than playing iso ball at the end of every shot clock. He'll be able to crash the boards a bit more. You know, play a wing position.

The hope being Carr and an improved washington can take PG load off his shoulders

Bad Gopher
03-25-2019, 09:05 AM
Plus, he most likely will be sporting a new hairdo. :)

It's good to know there are some things in life we can count on.

CurveballJesus
03-25-2019, 09:13 AM
In his junior season, who exactly set him up for open three pointers to keep him at 37%

That was his original point...

JimmyJamesMD
03-25-2019, 09:16 AM
That was his original point...

i apologize

Bad Gopher
03-25-2019, 09:26 AM
Besides expanding his skill set, he needs to become a student of THE game, of HIS OWN game, and of HIS TEAMMATES' games. He can be unstoppable playing to his strengths, and he can do way more to set Gabe up for easy jumpers.

GophersInIowa
03-25-2019, 09:37 AM
I haven't seen him listed on any mock drafts for 1st or 2nd round in 2019 or 2020.

GopherPlaya
03-25-2019, 09:48 AM
I have seen him listed on any mock drafts for 1st or 2nd round in 2019 or 2020.

Which ones I haven't seen him on any

WhoFellDownTheGopherHole?
03-25-2019, 10:11 AM
One point to consider is that if he comes back for another year and the Gophers make some noise, he can further cement his family's MN legacy. That level of status would ultimately pay off for him down the road, locally, in all other ventures of life, NBA notwithstanding.

GophersInIowa
03-25-2019, 10:27 AM
Which ones I haven't seen him on any

I corrected it. Should have said "haven't". Sorry about that!

bga1
03-25-2019, 10:27 AM
An interesting comp to Coffey is Jordan Nwora who plays for Louisville. Nwora is a soph and is rated as a low first round option (28 range on NBA draft.net). Nwora is 6-7 a better rebounder than Coffey and shoots the 3 at around 37.5 percentage with some volume versus Coffey's 30 % shooting. Coffey is the better passer. Maybe that's not a perfect comp but that shows how difficult it is to get to the low first round range. If you get outside the first round - then it's probably better to do another year in college.

GopherPlaya
03-25-2019, 10:33 AM
An interesting comp to Coffey is Jordan Nwora who plays for Louisville. Nwora is a soph and is rated as a low first round option (28 range on NBA draft.net). Nwora is 6-7 a better rebounder than Coffey and shoots the 3 at around 37.5 percentage with some volume versus Coffey's 30 % shooting. Coffey is the better passer. Maybe that's not a perfect comp but that shows how difficult it is to get to the low first round range. If you get outside the first round - then it's probably better to do another year in college.

I think we see Amir in a different light as to everyone else. There are a lot of holes in his game. He has a slight frame, left hand dominant, inconsistent shooter, settles for Js way too much when he can attack more, doesn't use his length and athleticism on defense. I think he can play his way onto teams radars but I just don't see him as a NBA player right now because we truly can't name one thing he is great at.

Hates Monikers
03-25-2019, 10:34 AM
Maybe he just wants to start making money, whether or not it's in the NBA. A lot of players worse than him play for a long time overseas for good money. Hope for the NBA, settle for ... Spain or wherever.

upnorthkid
03-25-2019, 11:00 AM
Maybe he just wants to start making money, whether or not it's in the NBA. A lot of players worse than him play for a long time overseas for good money. Hope for the NBA, settle for ... Spain or wherever.

i would imagine that is not his fathers nor his dream

bga1
03-25-2019, 11:03 AM
I think we see Amir in a different light as to everyone else. There are a lot of holes in his game. He has a slight frame, left hand dominant, inconsistent shooter, settles for Js way too much when he can attack more, doesn't use his length and athleticism on defense. I think he can play his way onto teams radars but I just don't see him as a NBA player right now because we truly can't name one thing he is great at.

I agree. Although I will say that a major improvement he made this season was knowing when to take a 8 foot shot versus just piling all the way in and throwing up a wild shot in traffic. He has become really good at finishing in the short floater range. He needs to be a tremendous defender and a better shooter and rebounder to make an NBA roster.

HOOP DREAMS
03-25-2019, 02:34 PM

Coffey (and Oturu) are obviously better than at least 200 of them.

If 236 are early entries, Coffey is not 'obviously' better than 200 of them. According to all the mock drafts, 60+ players are ahead of him.

Who knows, he could be #65 or #120.

rowdaboat
03-25-2019, 02:40 PM
Don't see Coffey as being any better than Andre or Austin Hollins, both of which were average in Europe.

GopherJake
03-25-2019, 02:54 PM
Don't see Coffey as being any better than Andre or Austin Hollins, both of which were average in Europe.Good lord.

touchdownvikings
03-25-2019, 03:17 PM
My take:

It has been said that something "clicked" for the Gophers offense in the last half-dozen or so games of the year. The "something" was Amir. I have no idea what he did or what he "learned" or how he did it. But he became comfortable - not able (he was always able) - comfortable taking over games. He began imposing his will on games. Earlier in the season that did not happen.

Take the Rutgers game, for example. Yes, he scored 29. But he was the recipient of 5 fast-break dunks/lay-ups, and 5 more garbage-time free throws. In other words, a major part of his production resulted from letting the game come to him. Taking what the game gave him. That is excellent advice for freshman - and precisely what Gabe and Oturu mainly do. But upperclassmen need to do more than take what the game gives them. They need to command the outcome of the game.

Beginning with the Northwestern game, Amir made the transition. He was no longer a generally productive passive participant in the game. He commanded the course of the game. And that is the difference between winning and losing. That's what Mason did for us.

I made a post earlier in the season saying that Amir has the ability to be The Man but does not have the psychological make-up to be The Man. My official apology to him if he reads this or give two sh!ts what I think. He has is now The Man and the Gophers are better for it.

Bottom line: need a PF, and Amir needs to adjust to continue being The Man without being the PG. God willing, we get Battle and have a couple of shooting threats.
Accomplish that and we'll be at least as good this next year.

WorkingMyTailOff
03-26-2019, 07:55 AM
My take:

It has been said that something "clicked" for the Gophers offense in the last half-dozen or so games of the year. The "something" was Amir. I have no idea what he did or what he "learned" or how he did it. But he became comfortable - not able (he was always able) - comfortable taking over games. He began imposing his will on games. Earlier in the season that did not happen.

Take the Rutgers game, for example. Yes, he scored 29. But he was the recipient of 5 fast-break dunks/lay-ups, and 5 more garbage-time free throws. In other words, a major part of his production resulted from letting the game come to him. Taking what the game gave him. That is excellent advice for freshman - and precisely what Gabe and Oturu mainly do. But upperclassmen need to do more than take what the game gives them. They need to command the outcome of the game.

Beginning with the Northwestern game, Amir made the transition. He was no longer a generally productive passive participant in the game. He commanded the course of the game. And that is the difference between winning and losing. That's what Mason did for us.

I made a post earlier in the season saying that Amir has the ability to be The Man but does not have the psychological make-up to be The Man. My official apology to him if he reads this or give two sh!ts what I think. He has is now The Man and the Gophers are better for it.

Bottom line: need a PF, and Amir needs to adjust to continue being The Man without being the PG. God willing, we get Battle and have a couple of shooting threats.
Accomplish that and we'll be at least as good this next year.

Good points on Coffey being the aggressor and willing the team to win. Just think how much better he would look if he was surrounded by other threats to score (like Purdue, MSU, or Michigan).

march madness
03-26-2019, 08:06 AM
Coffey would be best advised to shoot a thousand 3 pointers a day in the off-season. Comeback and become a 36% + 3 pt shooter to get an NBA shot.

DeathClutch
03-26-2019, 08:31 AM
Coffey has some similarities to Shaun Livingston and Kyle Anderson. Guys that are 6'8/6'9 who can play on the ball. Both have carved out nice bench roles in the NBA.

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

MennoSota
03-26-2019, 09:07 AM
Coffey has some similarities to Shaun Livingston and Kyle Anderson. Guys that are 6'8/6'9 who can play on the ball. Both have carved out nice bench roles in the NBA.

Sent from my LGL41C using TapatalkCoffey can defend. That will be his ticket to play in the NBA.

manderson1984
03-26-2019, 09:10 AM

JayKay be coming for ya on that Shaun Livingston compassion... Amir's life in the NBA will be more on if he's willing to defend. He works hard and shoots a ton already and will develop that to the best that it will be. Teams need to know he's willing to defend.

Ozzy&Ray
03-26-2019, 09:25 AM

Both of whom almost never miss an open look. Coffey has a lot of strengths, but consistent shooting is not one of them right now. If he can consistently knock down an open look, he will play in the NBA. If he can't, there is always someone who will.

manderson1984
03-26-2019, 09:30 AM
Both of whom almost never miss an open look. Coffey has a lot of strengths, but consistent shooting is not one of them right now. If he can consistently knock down an open look, he will play in the NBA. If he can't, there is always someone who will.

Kyle Anderson is a 32% career 3 pt shooter, and Livingston is like a 20% shooter. Both were worse in college/high school than Amir. Amir's not a great shooter, but he's also not terrible and couple probably end up being a 30-35% guy in the NBA. where guys like Gerald Green and Terry Rozier shoot it at.

Lakers612
03-26-2019, 09:40 AM
Kyle Anderson is a 32% career 3 pt shooter, and Livingston is like a 20% shooter. Both were worse in college/high school than Amir. Amir's not a great shooter, but he's also not terrible and couple probably end up being a 30-35% guy in the NBA. where guys like Gerald Green and Terry Rozier shoot it at.
it's amazing how nitpicky some people on here are (not you manderson).. Coffey is probably one of the most skilled 6'8+ players in college basketball. He's elite in transition and attacking the rim. He was a 34.5% 3-point shooter coming into this season. He has the tools and can obviously develop those further in the offseason. I'm not so sure he needs another full year to prove he is a NBA-caliber wing player

manderson1984
03-26-2019, 09:45 AM
it's amazing how nitpicky some people on here are (not you manderson).. Coffey is probably one of the most skilled 6'8+ players in college basketball. He's elite in transition and attacking the rim. He was a 34.5% 3-point shooter coming into this season. He has the tools and can obviously develop those further in the offseason. I'm not so sure he needs another full year to prove he is a NBA-caliber wing player

Scouts really look at these things closely too and the line of who makes it and doesn't is thin, but you're right, we kind of treat Amir like hes garbage sometimes. He was hands down the MVP and leader of this team. Also a fun stat is to look at what the Gophers record was when he plays. He's a legacy kid who stayed here and was a top 50 recruit despite tearing his ACL and not playing as a JR year of HS, otherwise he was a top 30 recruit.

Otis
03-26-2019, 09:49 AM
I think he could be drafted, just not in the first round. By returning and working on his game, finishing in traffic, absorbing contact and finishing, and jump shooting. I could see him moving into the first round and getting guaranteed money.

Bordergopher
03-26-2019, 10:04 AM

We will soon find out if the NBA scouts agree with you.

GopherPlaya
03-26-2019, 10:05 AM

There are so many players in other conferences that are solid wings. Duke has 3 1st round wings on 1 team also you are not accounting for international wings who are always 6'7 and up that NBA teams love to stash in Europe while holding on to their rights. Amir isn't garbage but there are a lot of other prospects he is competing with.

BleedGopher
03-28-2019, 06:48 AM
per Shama:

With his outstanding play in regular season and tournament games in March, Gophers junior forward Amir Coffey might now project as a late first round pick in the 2019 NBA Draft. Coffey will test NBA interest in the coming weeks. He is better than some players on current NBA rosters, but he might benefit from gaining more physical strength and experience by returning to Minnesota for his final season of eligibility.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Winasota Gopher
03-28-2019, 07:25 AM
per Shama:

With his outstanding play in regular season and tournament games in March, Gophers junior forward Amir Coffey might now project as a late first round pick in the 2019 NBA Draft. Coffey will test NBA interest in the coming weeks. He is better than some players on current NBA rosters, but he might benefit from gaining more physical strength and experience by returning to Minnesota for his final season of eligibility.

Go Gophers!!

I doubt Amir's stock gets any higher next year, he'll be older and there is very small chance he improves on his 20+ppg over the final 8 games of the season. If he comes back it's because he wants to play in front of Williams arena and he'll be taking a gamble at never getting drafted, imo.

He's physically strong enough to play in the NBA today, his skill set isn't really NBA ready but there are a ton of people that get drafted that benefit from a full-time job of shooting jumpers rather than only being able to be coached a certain number of hours per day.

As a Gopher fan, I hope he chooses to come back. I think if he gets a nod from someone he's gonna get drafted, he should go.

salzie
03-28-2019, 08:14 AM
I doubt Amir's stock gets any higher next year, he'll be older and there is very small chance he improves on his 20+ppg over the final 8 games of the season. If he comes back it's because he wants to play in front of Williams arena and he'll be taking a gamble at never getting drafted, imo.

He's physically strong enough to play in the NBA today, his skill set isn't really NBA ready but there are a ton of people that get drafted that benefit from a full-time job of shooting jumpers rather than only being able to be coached a certain number of hours per day.

As a Gopher fan, I hope he chooses to come back. I think if he gets a nod from someone he's gonna get drafted, he should go.

I agree. Selfishly I want him back, but if chances are high or gets confirmed he goes in the first, he should go and I'd wish him well

A nonymous
03-28-2019, 09:52 AM
per Shama:

Go Gophers!!

this is a really really bad take by Shama

Keyser SŲze
03-28-2019, 09:54 AM

Amir is a guy who can have some dominant performances, but can also be so passive that he only scores like 6 or 8 points. I think he needs to prove that he can play with the mentality he had at the end of the year for a full season. If he does, he can definitely improve on his 16.6 ppg. I think he can also improve his efficiency from 3 if he's playing off the ball. Both of those things could improve his stock some even though he'll be a year older.

RolGnav
03-28-2019, 10:16 AM
I like Amir but what is he gonna do at the next level? He's just not there yet physically. He's not a great shooter, he's not a good finisher. What's engraved in my mind from this past season is him driving wildly into the lane and throwing up bricks from a feet in. It's even more physical in the NBA. I truely believe one more year and he'll maximize his draft spot.

Winasota Gopher
03-28-2019, 10:25 AM
Amir is a guy who can have some dominant performances, but can also be so passive that he only scores like 6 or 8 points. I think he needs to prove that he can play with the mentality he had at the end of the year for a full season. If he does, he can definitely improve on his 16.6 ppg. I think he can also improve his efficiency from 3 if he's playing off the ball. Both of those things could improve his stock some even though he'll be a year older.

No doubt, however, the benefit of his 8 game run is unlikely to be improved upon. Therefore, if that's the current opinion of him, 20+ ppg game wrecker, he needs to jump.

Keyser SŲze
03-28-2019, 11:03 AM
No doubt, however, the benefit of his 8 game run is unlikely to be improved upon. Therefore, if that's the current opinion of him, 20+ ppg game wrecker, he needs to jump.

Agreed, I'm just assuming an 8 game stretch isn't long enough to convince people that's who he really is. I could be wrong.

Gopherboner
03-28-2019, 11:19 AM
LOL, he'll be back, let's please keep it real. He has work to do. Consistency and strength come to mind. If he can improve, I could see him being a 2nd round pick. Maybe....

Gopherlife
03-28-2019, 11:30 AM
I like Amir but what is he gonna do at the next level? He's just not there yet physically. He's not a great shooter, he's not a good finisher. What's engraved in my mind from this past season is him driving wildly into the lane and throwing up bricks from a feet in. It's even more physical in the NBA. I truely believe one more year and he'll maximize his draft spot.

I agree, except that I think he is a pretty good finisher when he gets near the rim. But, right now, I think he would still have great difficulty getting around defenders in the NBA in order to get to the basket. He basically has no crossover, and he is still very left-hand dominant.

GopherPlaya
03-28-2019, 11:43 AM
per Shama:

Go Gophers!!

Where is Shama getting these first round projections. Also, what players are he talking about because there are a lot of players who dominated a tougher B1G that are role players at best (Evan Turner, Tim Hardaway Jr., Trey Burke). This Amir to the NBA talk is getting more ridiculous by the day. Will he enter probably? But 1st round no way in hell. Even 2nd round is a huge stretch.

Chucklehead
03-28-2019, 11:45 AM
Amir would benefit a lot by playing his senior year. So many players declare for the draft and never get selected.

#2Gopher
03-28-2019, 12:16 PM
Amir would benefit a lot by playing his senior year. So many players declare for the draft and never get selected.

Also hopefully he'll have his degree or be close to it for his next chapter if Basketball is not it.

Otis
03-28-2019, 12:20 PM
Is he better than Voshon? He went in the second round and played his senior year.

Is he better than Khalid? He went in the second round.

Mateen Cleeves also went in the second round.

And yes, I know Amir is 6'9".

I just don't see him going in the first round. And really, the latter half of the first round usually means the developmental league. I think he can improve his draft stock more playing a senior year at his primary position with spot time at PG. If he could just play with the authority he played with in the final 7.25 games (he was out of it for 30min at Maryland) for a whole season he could get the guaranteed cash NBA types are looking for.

Get an insurance policy and come back and play Amir!

Plinnius
03-28-2019, 04:28 PM
JayKay be coming for ya on that Shaun Livingston compassion... Amir's life in the NBA will be more on if he's willing to defend. He works hard and shoots a ton already and will develop that to the best that it will be. Teams need to know he's willing to defend.

Doesn't matter how willing he is. With his little t-rex arms, he's going to struggle no matter how much effort he puts into it.

Mulligan
03-28-2019, 04:36 PM
Looked at 3 mock drafts with two rounds, and Amir wasn't listed on any of them.

manderson1984
03-28-2019, 05:55 PM
Doesn't matter how willing he is. With his little t-rex arms, he's going to struggle no matter how much effort he puts into it.

Good to know wingspan is the only thing that matters when playing D. I am well aware that it makes it easier and most elite defenders have a combo of good feet (most important), good wingspan, and great effort. Amir has good feet and position when he gives effort.

jamiche
03-28-2019, 06:25 PM
Heís a relentless player and I think heíll be drafted mid to late second round. Is that enough for him to go? Probably.

GophersInIowa
03-29-2019, 11:52 AM
I have yet to see a mock draft list him in the 1st or 2nd round. Just checked a few that updated in the past few days. Still don't see him listed.

Very few upperclassmen go in the 1st round. It's almost always full of freshman, sophomores and international players.

SJUgopher
03-30-2019, 12:55 PM
Is he better than Voshon? He went in the second round and played his senior year.

Is he better than Khalid? He went in the second round.

Mateen Cleeves also went in the second round.

And yes, I know Amir is 6'9".

I just don't see him going in the first round. And really, the latter half of the first round usually means the developmental league. I think he can improve his draft stock more playing a senior year at his primary position with spot time at PG. If he could just play with the authority he played with in the final 7.25 games (he was out of it for 30min at Maryland) for a whole season he could get the guaranteed cash NBA types are looking for.

Get an insurance policy and come back and play Amir!

Some teams (Miami) like a bunch of 6í7-6í9 players that donít have a position.

Some guy
03-30-2019, 12:58 PM
Coffey can defend. That will be his ticket to play in the NBA.

Agree with this. Needs to either be able to shoot 3s better or get a better off hand. Preferably both.

GopherWeatherGuy
03-30-2019, 03:44 PM
Amir is not getting drafted this year. He's not going anywhere.

Gopher Teeth
03-30-2019, 05:12 PM
Amir is not getting drafted this year. He's not going anywhere.

I have to agree. Third team all BigTen just doesnít make you NBA. Part of Amirís game is ready, but his shooting just isnít. I know a lot are saying he needs to go now before HSers can enter the draft, but if you arenít better than them you arenít going to be in the league for long anyway. Itís hard to develop your game on the bench in the NBA. He will get a lot more improvement in his game being option one at the U.

goldenboy
03-30-2019, 05:20 PM
Iíd love to have a handful of long, lean greyhounds (like Oregon, Baylor, etc). Give me 2 true posts, 2 combo guards with great handles, and fill the roster up w/6-6 to 6-9 athletes that can shoot it. We have had few players over the years that havenít had notable limitations: athletic but canít shoot; good shooters that are too short, too slow, or both; posts that are tall but soft, rebound but canít score, can score but not defend...

Bordergopher
03-30-2019, 10:07 PM
Iíd love to have a handful of long, lean greyhounds (like Oregon, Baylor, etc). Give me 2 true posts, 2 combo guards with great handles, and fill the roster up w/6-6 to 6-9 athletes that can shoot it. We have had few players over the years that havenít had notable limitations: athletic but canít shoot; good shooters that are too short, too slow, or both; posts that are tall but soft, rebound but canít score, can score but not defend...

Bingo. The problem is that those guys are at a premium.

manderson1984
03-30-2019, 10:16 PM
Bingo. The problem is that those guys are at a premium.

Woah, you mean 6-6 to 6-9 guys who can shoot it aren't a dime a dozen? I get people don't care for Pitinos roster management (not necessarily a fan either), but this idea that we can just get these long dudes who bang in 3s all day is so laughable.

MNVCGUY
03-31-2019, 08:55 AM

I can't see Coffey foregoing his senior year to go play over seas, you rarely see players do that. He should test the NBA waters and if he isn't going to get drafted highly it would be in his best interest to come back for his senior year and try and improve his stock.

Holy Man
03-31-2019, 11:44 AM
I can't see Coffey foregoing his senior year to go play over seas, you rarely see players do that. He should test the NBA waters and if he isn't going to get drafted highly it would be in his best interest to come back for his senior year and try and improve his stock.

All depends on how much he likes school and the college lifestyle and how urgent it is for him to play for pay. That's a question few would have the answer to unless they are family or very close friends. He's not going immediately to the NBA but there are other pro options if he wants them. Not likely the overseas options will diminish if he stays. I hope he likes college. Next year without him would likely be a disaster.

Some guy
03-31-2019, 02:54 PM
All depends on how much he likes school and the college lifestyle and how urgent it is for him to play for pay. That's a question few would have the answer to unless they are family or very close friends. He's not going immediately to the NBA but there are other pro options if he wants them. Not likely the overseas options will diminish if he stays. I hope he likes college. Next year without him would likely be a disaster.
He could’ve played overseas after last year and made a decision not to. I’m not too worried.

manny77
04-03-2019, 04:51 PM
I'm surprised he is going to test the waters. So hiring an agent no longer means college is over? Don't think he will sniff first round this year-maybe next year? I hope he has a great year and does that.

mplarson7
04-03-2019, 04:54 PM
Apparently there's a rule change so that an agent can be hired, but can still return for next year. I wasn't aware of that.

MennoSota
04-03-2019, 04:54 PM
I'm surprised he is going to test the waters. So hiring an agent no longer means college is over? Don't think he will sniff first round this year-maybe next year? I hope he has a great year and does that.From what I know he hasn't hired an agent. He's doing the same thing that Jordan Murphy did last spring. He's meeting with NBA officials and getting a good understanding of where he might land if he did declare for the draft. No agent needed.

short ornery norwegian
04-03-2019, 04:57 PM
From the Strib today (April 3)

Coffey has declared for the 2019 NBA Draft, a source told the Star Tribune. Coffey, a 6-8 junior guard, will work with an agent, but he's still leaving open the possibility of coming back for his senior year.

After leading Minnesota in scoring (16.6) and assists (3.2) this season, Coffey is now taking advantage of new NCAA rules allowing non-seniors to fully go through the draft process and still retain their college eligibility. In August, the NCAA announced that college basketball players can hire NCAA-certified agents if they request an evaluation from the NBA Undergraduate Advisory Committee to provide information on their draft stock.

The deadline to file that request is April 11. The paperwork for Coffey was submitted Tuesday, the source said.

Non-seniors who are invited to the predraft combine in Chicago also can remain in the NBA draft process and return to school if they go undrafted. Previously, the players declaring early for the draft had to withdraw their names 10 days after the combine on May 29. Invites for that combine will be delivered soon. The NBA draft is June 20.

rowdaboat
04-03-2019, 05:16 PM
Seems effectively like if there was breaking news in August of twins putting someone on trade waivers, when he doesn't get drafted he can come back