Sid: Coyle talks Pitino, contract situation, etc.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

Coyle talks Pitino

Gophers athletic director Mark Coyle talked this weekend about how he viewed Pitino’s performance.

“Obviously, Richard and I have a very close relationship, and I am very excited for him and the team,” Coyle said. “We made a nice run in Chicago [in the Big Ten tournament], and we’re excited about [the NCAA tournament].

“The hard thing is we’ve been to nine NCAA tournaments that count; we had to vacate four of those appearances. I think it’s Rutgers and Nebraska and we rank near the bottom of the Big Ten in NCAA tournament appearances. This is the second time he has taken us there in his six years here, and he won the NIT championship his first year here. It takes time to build these programs the right way. I know Richard and his staff will work hard to get us prepared for the NCAA tournament.”

Does Coyle foresee extending Pitino’s contract at the end of this season?

“Richard has got a multiyear contract in place and that is something we always talk with Richard about,” he said. “Again, he and I have a wonderful relationship and we’ll talk about building this program long-term. But again, in my opinion, he is doing really good things with our student-athletes on and off the court. You’re just really grateful for the hard work and effort he puts forward.”

Pitino is under contract through the 2021-22 season, after agreeing to a one-year extension in 2017 that included $1.7 million in additional bonuses that take effect if he remains at Minnesota.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...pends-on-jordan-murphy-amir-coffey/507438852/

Go Gophers!!

So your saying Pitino has made 22% of all the NCAA tournaments that MN has been to, excluding vacated appearances

Top Bottom