ESPN's Jay Bilas calls out NCAA for making Gophers face Louisville

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Joe:

ESPN's top college basketball analyst is displeased that the NCAA Selection Committee didn't find a way to keep Minnesota from playing Louisville in the first round of the NCAA men's basketball tournament.

"The biggest one that I thought was totally unnecessary was pitting Louisville against Minnesota in the 7-10 game," Bilas said on PodcastOne's "Sports Now." "Everybody knows the history of his father and how it ended at Louisville, and that was just unnecessary."

Rather than a matchup between two power conference schools, the biggest storyline for Thursday's 11:15 a.m. game is how Gophers coach Richard Pitino is facing the university that fired his father, Hall of Fame coach Rick Pitino.

Bilas added that the selection committee has the ability to move schedules and adjust teams so it's fair to every invitee, throwing out Brigham Young University as an example where in past tournaments they're never asked to play on Sunday's to the Mormon faith.

"It's just a bad look and it's unnecessary. Don't tell me that was lost on 10 people plus the administrators that are in the room there," said Bilas, referencing the selection committee.

"They could've moved that if they wanted to and nobody would've known. They chose to do it this way and I think it was in poor taste."

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesot...s-face-louisville-under-cloud-of-pitino-drama

Go Gophers!!

I honestly don't have a problem with the storyline.

So the reporters will ask the coaches a question or two about it and the broadcasters will mention it on air once or twice during the game. So what?

I honestly don't have a problem with the storyline.

So the reporters will ask the coaches a question or two about it and the broadcasters will mention it on air once or twice during the game. So what?

Agreed. The NCAA did the right thing, it makes an intriguing national story line for an otherwise pedestrian 10/7 match-up.

Go Gophers!!

It doesn't really bother me....but good for Bilas for calling it out. I definitely buy that there is going to be a personal angle for the Pitinos. And the media is going to push it leading up to, during, and after the game.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Way too much is being made of this. Who cares.

Bilas isn't happy unless he's complaining about something.

Last edited:

I guess If your a Louisville fan, I understand why its not ideal but as a Minnesota fan, if this storyline gets the game more national attention and coverage then it otherwise would and more eyes on the game then I'm all for it.

Not a big deal for the fans. Probably annoying for both teams, especially Pitino. It is what it is. I knew it was going to be us as soon as they announced Louisville as a 7 seed in Des Moines.

I'm curious to see if Rick will be there supporting MN tomorrow. That would get his face on tv a lot. Any predictions?

I guess he sits it out...

I actually agree with Bilas. I don't really care as far the players or coaches are concerned, it's not at all a big deal. But, I don't understand why the NCAA would do it. It's a black-eye on the NCAA, why would they invite more attention to a bad situation? It's a situation where a premier program was busted and a college coaching legend was exiled to Greece. Do they really want more casual fans googling the Louisville scandal? So, I think it's really stupid and I don't think it adds anything. I can't imagine a guy sitting in New Mexico watching this game (if he wasn't already going to) because of the scandal.

It's kind of like sitting around with your girlfriend and saying "remember that time I cheated on you?"

Agreed. The NCAA did the right thing, it makes an intriguing national story line for an otherwise pedestrian 10/7 match-up.

Disagree. If the game is close and becomes "hotly" contested there any number of things that could cause the announcers/press to go off on a Pitino/Louisville grievance angle. Neither team deserves it.

Ideally, the "storyline" angle shouldn't impact the decision one way or another. If both teams earned their seeds, and the location makes sense, that should be the end of it.

Putting three of the eight big ten teams in the same bracket is a bigger issue to me.

I actually agree with Bilas. I don't really care as far the players or coaches are concerned, it's not at all a big deal. But, I don't understand why the NCAA would do it. It's a black-eye on the NCAA, why would they invite more attention to a bad situation? It's a situation where a premier program was busted and a college coaching legend was exiled to Greece. Do they really want more casual fans googling the Louisville scandal? So, I think it's really stupid and I don't think it adds anything. I can't imagine a guy sitting in New Mexico watching this game (if he wasn't already going to) because of the scandal.

It's kind of like sitting around with your girlfriend and saying "remember that time I cheated on you?"

The NCAA is so smug, they probably think their girlfriend is 'into' that.

Putting three of the eight big ten teams in the same bracket is a bigger issue to me.
The same half of a bracket even. I'm sure they could've mapped it out where no Big Ten teams have a chance to face each other until the Elite 8 but somehow we can have two matchups before that? I thought we watched the B10 tourney last weekend...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Way too much is being made of this. Who cares.

Bilas isn't happy unless he's complaining about something.

Absolutely. I used to like Bilas but in the last few years he is just a blowhard who talks about everything but actual basketball.

Top Bottom