MN Daily: Curry's return an important addition for the Gophers

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Daily:

Three minutes and 45 seconds into the Gophers' game against Mount St. Mary’s on Dec. 30, Williams Arena erupted into cheers as redshirt sophomore Eric Curry checked into the game. It was the first time in 654 days the 6 foot, 9 inch forward stepped onto the court in a competitive game.

“It was amazing. I couldn’t even sleep at night,” Curry told the media after that game, a 71-53 Gophers' victory. “I couldn’t wait to get back on the court in front of our fans. It was amazing seeing all the fans giving me a standing ovation.”

In August 2017, Curry suffered a serious injury in his left knee, tearing his ACL, MCL and meniscus. He missed the entirety of the season, a disappointing 15-17 campaign in which the team was plagued with losses to key players.

Curry was expected to make his much-anticipated return to the lineup at the beginning of this season. Unfortunately, after playing in a preseason scrimmage against Creighton, he experienced swelling in the same knee that kept him sidelined the year prior. Soon after, the team announced that Curry would require another operation that ultimately kept him out for the first 12 games of the season.

Over the games Curry missed, Minnesota amassed a record of 10-2. The Gophers' front court was still in good shape without him, thanks largely to All-Big Ten senior Jordan Murphy. Filling in for Curry at the five was freshman Daniel Oturu, a four-star recruit who quickly established himself as a rising star for the Gophers. Oturu’s play has steadily improved throughout the year. He currently averages 10.6 points and 7.4 rebounds per game.

“[They are] two of the great players in the conference,” Curry told the media regarding Murphy and Oturu. “It’s been amazing going against those two guys in practice and they’ve been great helping me along the way, just like I’ve helped them along the way too.”

While his minutes are still limited, Curry has been the first forward off the bench in most games since his return, adding much needed depth at forward. Entering the game to a chorus of cheers and applause on Dec. 30 was the culmination of a difficult path to recovery for Curry.

“My teammates helped me through everything,” Curry told the media. “My mom, my coaches — they kept me positive. There were times when it got really tough, and I was like, ‘I don’t know if I’m ever going to come back.’ But they just kept my head on straight."

http://www.mndaily.com/article/2019/01/s-currys-return-an-important-addition-for-the-gophers

Go Gophers!!

Curry has some abilities that are unique to our team and its awesome to have him back. I think we lose to Penn State without him. Is he on a formal minutes restriction? I'd like to see him start shooting more.

Fun to see him go to the jump hook when he came back. I wonder if he's lost some lift, and that's the shot he knows he can get off.

Top Bottom