Basketball related-Pete Maravich

Lincoln gopher

Reaction score
On this date in 1988, Pete Maravich died playing pick up hoops. Maybe the best ball handler ever. He was amazing to watch.

On this date in 1988, Pete Maravich died playing pick up hoops. Maybe the best ball handler ever. He was amazing to watch.

That was a sad day for me. I loved watching him play. Can you imagine what he would have averaged if the 3 point line was in play then.

That was a sad day for me. I loved watching him play. Can you imagine what he would have averaged if the 3 point line was in play then.

Peter Burns at ESPN broke down his shot chart. They said with Pete Maravich's shot chart, had he played with a 3 point line, Pistol Pete would have averaged 57 points a game. Not sure how accurate this is, but worth nothing.

Peter Burns at ESPN broke down his shot chart. They said with Pete Maravich's shot chart, had he played with a 3 point line, Pistol Pete would have averaged 57 points a game. Not sure how accurate this is, but worth nothing.

Very fun! And his ball handling and passing probably overshadowed his amazing shooting. Dribbling all around town as kid, where ever he was walking to. His ball handling dribbling drills are still relevant all these years later. He could just score so many ways. lol Now, Pete is a guy with offensive game!!

Very fun! And his ball handling and passing probably overshadowed his amazing shooting. Dribbling all around town as kid, where ever he was walking to. His ball handling dribbling drills are still relevant all these years later. He could just score so many ways. lol Now, Pete is a guy with offensive game!!

To be fair, his dad was abusive both physically and mentally. He forced him to dribble all around town. Not downplaying his greatness but worth mentioning.

I’m way too young to have watched him live but my best friends dad had VHS stapes we watched all the time. He was soooo far ahead of his time.

February 21, 1970 - one of the all-time most fun college basketball games ever. Kentucky vs LSU. Kentucky won 121-105. Pete Maravich scored 64 for LSU. Kentucky star Dan Issel had 51.

I remember watching it on TV. It was just a hoot. Kentucky had a better team, but Maravich was unstoppable.

Then, years later, when I was going to broadcasting school in the Twin Cities, I had a night job working at a place that did commercial duplication of VHS tapes. (hey, it was 1987 - VCR's were big then.) Anyway, one of the video tape series that we produced was "Pistol Pete's Homework Basketball." It was Maravich demonstrating different basketball fundamentals. That one was more fun to work on than Babe Winkelman's Facts of Fishing.

February 21, 1970 - one of the all-time most fun college basketball games ever. Kentucky vs LSU. Kentucky won 121-105. Pete Maravich scored 64 for LSU. Kentucky star Dan Issel had 51.

I remember watching it on TV. It was just a hoot. Kentucky had a better team, but Maravich was unstoppable.

Then, years later, when I was going to broadcasting school in the Twin Cities, I had a night job working at a place that did commercial duplication of VHS tapes. (hey, it was 1987 - VCR's were big then.) Anyway, one of the video tape series that we produced was "Pistol Pete's Homework Basketball." It was Maravich demonstrating different basketball fundamentals. That one was more fun to work on than Babe Winkelman's Facts of Fishing.

Was it by any chance called “Video Duplication”? Like off highway 100 and 77th?

Was it by any chance called “Video Duplication”? Like off highway 100 and 77th?

Vaughn Communications. On West 78th street right off 494. I worked 4pm to Midnight, so once the suits took off, it was pretty laid-back. One of the techs was a Deadhead, with a briefcase full of concert tapes. And - I think the statute of limitations is up- every now and then a rental movie got copied. I used to have 2 or 3 tapes with bootlegged movies - Color of Money and Little Shop of Horrors are two I recall.

Vaughn Communications. On West 78th street right off 494. I worked 4pm to Midnight, so once the suits took off, it was pretty laid-back. One of the techs was a Deadhead, with a briefcase full of concert tapes. And - I think the statute of limitations is up- every now and then a rental movie got copied. I used to have 2 or 3 tapes with bootlegged movies - Color of Money and Little Shop of Horrors are two I recall.

Funny. Sounds exactly like my buddies job, and within a couple of miles of each other. I would show up on Fridays about 4 (right after the suits left) with beers, and we'd sit on the loading dock having a happy hour while their last batches of the day finished.

One day a guy came in with a small order (he only wanted about 10 copies), and it was the video below. He advised my buddy Billy to probably make a copy for himself. I ended up with around 8 copies for my brothers, sisters and nephews. One of my all-time favorites:

[edit...sorry, but if forces you to link to youtube to view it. Well worth it.]

VOLUME UP!

It was a miracle Maravich made it to 40. An autopsy revealed the cause of death to be a rare congenital defect; he had been born with a missing left coronary artery, a vessel that supplies blood to the muscle fibers of the heart. His right coronary artery was grossly enlarged and had been compensating for the defect.

The attendance was usually higher for the freshman game when he played. Freshman not being able to play seems so weird now.

Top Bottom