Pitino curt in his post-game response on IW

BleedGopher

Reaction score
I'm not sure which reporter asked about IW's playing time, or lack thereof tonight, and he was very curt. He basically cut the question off immediately and didn't really answer.

He also kept saying that our strategy was to hack Happ down the stretch. I was surprised at how vocal he was about it.

Awesome win!!

Go Gophers!!

Not a good look in my opinion. Give some kind of answer. That's why you're sitting up there in front of the question askers.

Nothing would surprise me at this point.

For what it’s worth, you can see IW in the locker room as a full happy participant in the water bottle celebration with Pitino. Marcus tweeted it

Not a good look in my opinion. Give some kind of answer. That's why you're sitting up there in front of the question askers.

He did originally give an answer when asked about it and said it was because he felt Stull was better suited to play in a grind it out style of game like this one.

Then when someone asked if there are any other reasons why IW didn't play he immediately just said no.

Pitino addressed it in the first question he was asked about it and moved on.

Nothing more to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He did originally give an answer when asked about it and said it was because he felt Stull was better suited to play in a grind it out style of game like this one.

Then when someone asked if there are any other reasons why IW didn't play he immediately just said no.
Agreed. I thought he gave a reasonable answer, and declined to elaborate. Not an issue for me.

Listen to the presser again please

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I'm not sure which reporter asked about IW's playing time, or lack thereof tonight, and he was very curt. He basically cut the question off immediately and didn't really answer.

He also kept saying that our strategy was to hack Happ down the stretch. I was surprised at how vocal he was about it.

Awesome win!!

Go Gophers!!

I disagree, I think you are reading too much into his response. We can all make a guess why IW didn’t play, but Pitino said that Stull was working hard in practice, was getting in shape and coach felt that his style of rough grind it out play fit the style of the game.

I didn't catch that first answer, so fair enough. But in fairness to the reporter who probed with the follow-up, it's a story when your 4-star PG who has had record setting performances in recent games doesn't play one solitary minute.

I disagree, I think you are reading too much into his response. We can all make a guess why IW didn’t play, but Pitino said that Stull was working hard in practice, was getting in shape and coach felt that his style of rough grind it out play fit the style of the game.

Wisconsin jams up the lane on defense and it might have been a tough game for IW to function in. I like IW, but it looks like coach made the right call going to Stull here.

I didn't catch that first answer, so fair enough. But in fairness to the reporter who probed with the follow-up, it's a story when your 4-star PG who has had record setting performances in recent games doesn't play one solitary minute.

There are over 100 guys that are 4 star players or higher every year... not that unique (or shouldn’t be on a winning team)

There are over 100 guys that are 4 star players or higher every year... not that unique (or shouldn’t be on a winning team)

What does that have to do with anything? If a highly recruited player is getting inconsistent playing time, it begs a question which deserves a thoughtful answer.

The matchup tonight did not favor IWs style of play. IW has not shown that he can play any style required. He is often impatient. Hopefully he learned while watching this game. When IW gets it, he will be a very good point guard for us. Tonight was not a night where he would shine. He'll help us against more up tempo teams.

What does that have to do with anything? If a highly recruited player is getting inconsistent playing time, it begs a question which deserves a thoughtful answer.

Maybe he didn’t deserve that ranking? players grow and develop differently. HS rankings are just that and only give a snapshot. It’s says he had the tools to be great but until he demonstrates it the coach shouldn’t be second guessed in a huge road win against our top rival who also happened to be ranked.

I agree. We won the game in Madison. Why make a big deal about his decision? Maybe he felt it was a coachable moment for IW, maybe it was because he thought Stull just was a better matchup against the Badgers, maybe whatever the reason is, he felt it was best to keep it within the team. It seems like Pitino made the right decision, and I'm hardly a Pitino backer. Always nice to beat the Badgers, especially in Madison.

#11 looks to be pretty happy and involved in the locker room celebration video.

I watched the whole presser and thought Pitino's response was totally fair.

But nobody should be surprised anymore if IW is outta here in short order.

I watched the whole presser and thought Pitino's response was totally fair.

But nobody should be surprised anymore if IW is outta here in short order.

Good thing we have Carr then... (also I bet you’rewrong)

Good thing we have Carr then... (also I bet you’rewrong)

Not sure what I'm wrong about, didn't make a prediction.

I hope IW sticks it out here, there is a player in there somewhere. But the signs are all bad and you'd have to be blind to not see them.

I hope IW sticks it out here, there is a player in there somewhere. But the signs are all bad and you'd have to be blind to not see them.

I misread your post. Thank you.

Let's not be imbeciles. IW is obviously on the verge of breaking out and everyone can see it - including Pitino. This was not a game where offense was at a premium and Pitino was making choices that most probabilistically raised our floor. Who could doubt the choice when 59 points generated a win? The point was to make every effort to minimize mistakes because not all that much needed to go right. Just ensure that things don't go wrong. Hence IW sat.

Looking ahead, IW will play a s**t ton when we need offense, which will be most games. And as he grows and demonstrates lack of any propensity for downside, he'll play always.

WE NEED IW AS AN INOCULATION AGAINST POOR SHOOTING. UNLESS WE PLAY A LOW SCORING UGLY TEAM LIKE UW. HE'LL PLAY.

Enjoy the W. I am.

You really need to stop reading the tea leaves.

Jelly’s skills do not align with this rock fight of a basketball game. I’m sure he would have been fine in spurts, but I think even Isaiah probably understands this.

IW was celebrating plenty in the locker room. Tea leaves tell me that is a good sign

Matchup did not favor IW tonight. Stull nailed a couple crucial 3 pointers. IW will be key in other games.

Top Bottom