Bozich: Ranking the Former Rick Pitino Assistants This Yr (#4. Richard Pitino, Minn)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Bozich:

Ranking the Former Rick Pitino Assistants

Pitino has taken his Twitter account to Greece but his coaching tree can still go toe-to-toe with anybody in Division I. Ten of his guys are scrambling for success -- and four are on track to make the NCAA Tournament.

Here's the rundown, from first to worst (as ranked by Ken Pomeroy):

Kevin Keatts, North Carolina State, 12-1, No. 21 -- I suspect the Wolfpack are a product of a schedule that has featured only four games against Top 100 opponents but the faithful in Raleigh are energized.

Mick Cronin, Cincinnati, 11-2, No. 27 -- I've seen Cronin's name on the Steve Alford replacement list because of the way the Bearcats drilled the Bruins, but Mick seems as Cincinnati as Skyline Chili.

Kevin Willard, Seton Hall, 10-3, No. 54 -- The Pirates have wins over Kentucky, Maryland and St. John's. I'm surprised they're not ranked higher.

Richard Pitino, Minnesota, 11-2, No. 62 -- The Gophers are strong around the rim, making them my sleeper pick to finish in the Top 6 of the Big Ten -- and Richard has a better Twitter account that his Dad.

Marvin Menzies, UNLV, 6-6, No. 15 -- This is year three for Menzies and nobody is comparing him to Jerry Tarkanian.

Wyking Jones, California, 5-7, No. 207 -- This looks like the Wyking Jones Farewell Tour in Berkeley.

Herb Sendek, Santa Clara, 8-6, No. 210 -- Herb can coach. His team has split four games against the Pac-12.

Tubby Smith, High Point, 6-7, No. 234 -- Believe it or not, only two teams (including Virginia) play at a slower adjusted tempo.

Kareem Richardson, UMKC, 5-10, No. 241 -- The Kangaroos have won five of their last nine. Progress.

Steve Masiello, Manhattan, 2-10, No. 331 -- Things have not gone according to plan since Mass had to give up the South Florida job.

https://www.wdrb.com/sports/bozich-...cle_2c43321c-0eb7-11e9-bc2a-dfd18a8a7b7e.html

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom