START IW Vs. Santa Clara!

GopherHoop

Reaction score
I know I am going out on a limb to say this, but now is the time to make a change so the team can get in a rhythm prior to the B1G season. Last night's game was ugly and due in part because the offense lacked flow thus leading to many standing ball hand-offs and many turnovers. One thing is crystal clear and that is that Amir is not a PG...you cannot dribble with one hand and dribble backwards coming up the court. How are you supposed the see the open cutter if you aren't able to look forward the entire time.

I know everyone on in this forum will think that IW is wild, careless and lacks discipline with his decision making, but I think he actually has grown and if Pitino gave him a red light (pass first), I still think he would be the best option to help this team continue to win.

Here is my starting lineup and key subs.

Oturo C
Murphy PF
Coffey SF
Kalscheur SG
Washington PG

Oturo (Motz)
Murphy (Omersa)
Coffey (Hurt maybe about 5-10 minutes per game)
Kalscheur (McBrayer)
Washington (Stull)

I think McBrayer should come off the bench if Kalscheur keeps playing the way he is...

Major spark coming off the bench.

I don't think Stull is a ball handler.

I don't think Stull is a ball handler.

Not sure why this is relevant. You don't have to take out all 5 starters when you put in the subs. You can rotate them. I don't think OP wants a lineup of Hurt, Stull, Stockman, McBrayer and Omersa.

Stull is not a ball handler, him and IW would be a nice combo with the drive and dish for 3 threat.

I like Dupree coming off the bench as the first sub for Gabe.

Nice thing about Dupree off the bench is he can come in for IW, Gabe or Coffey

I think McBrayer should come off the bench if Kalscheur keeps playing the way he is...

Major spark coming off the bench.

I don't agree. Although I've never been a huge McBrayer fan, he's playing pretty well this year so far. In the past, I thought he should come off the bench but I think Kalscheur would be better suited for that role at this point. McBrayer knows the other starters much better and Kalscheur would have more of a green light for scoring off the bench.

I definitely agree that IW should start at point.

Not sure why this is relevant. You don't have to take out all 5 starters when you put in the subs. You can rotate them. I don't think OP wants a lineup of Hurt, Stull, Stockman, McBrayer and Omersa.

Definitely can't substitute en masse. What happened so often last year after the injuries/suspension hit is you'd look at the floor and ask, "Who's going to score out here?" It'll be up to Pitino to find those right substitutions that leave us some defenders, ball handlers and shooters to get by while others are getting a rest.

I know everyone on in this forum will think that IW is wild, careless and lacks discipline with his decision making

Why yes, that is exactly what I think.

Tons of talent. Very little maturity as a ball player. If there were other options, he would be watching. Hope he figures it out very soon.

JTG

Tons of talent. Very little maturity as a ball player. If there were other options, he would be watching. Hope he figures it out very soon.

JTG

This isn't about "maturity." This is about ball handling skills. IW has point guard ball handling skills and it doesn't appear that anyone else on the team does.

I know I am going out on a limb to say this, but now is the time to make a change so the team can get in a rhythm prior to the B1G season. Last night's game was ugly and due in part because the offense lacked flow thus leading to many standing ball hand-offs and many turnovers. One thing is crystal clear and that is that Amir is not a PG...you cannot dribble with one hand and dribble backwards coming up the court. How are you supposed the see the open cutter if you aren't able to look forward the entire time.

I know everyone on in this forum will think that IW is wild, careless and lacks discipline with his decision making, but I think he actually has grown and if Pitino gave him a red light (pass first), I still think he would be the best option to help this team continue to win.

Here is my starting lineup and key subs.

Oturo C
Murphy PF
Coffey SF
Kalscheur SG
Washington PG

Oturo (Motz)
Murphy (Omersa)
Coffey (Hurt maybe about 5-10 minutes per game)
Kalscheur (McBrayer)
Washington (Stull)

Agree 100%. Amir is no where near capable of running the point.

Have we lost a game I'm not aware of need lineup changes?

Have we lost a game I'm not aware of need lineup changes?

I agree, Why would we change our starting line up right now? We started out pretty good offensively? Pretty sure the stagnation was with subs in both halves? That happens a lot with new pieces brought into the offense. That being glad to see IW has improved and has been working hard.

The bigger issue is what happens to rotations once Curry comes back.

I agree, Why would we change our starting line up right now? We started out pretty good offensively? Pretty sure the stagnation was with subs in both halves? That happens a lot with new pieces brought into the offense. That being glad to see IW has improved and has been working hard.

The bigger issue is what happens to rotations once Curry comes back.

Simple. Sit Omersa when Murphy comes out and maybe play Curry over Matz only against teams that have a smaller, quicker 5 that can beat you from the perimeter. Oturu might see a slight minutes reduction but not by too much because he is a better rim protector, aside for when he goes for the block and leaves his man open.

I think IW should also start.

Amir is much better playing wing.
IW is much better playing with scorers. If he is playing with Murph, Gabe, and Amir, I really don't think we'll see him try to force his offense and he'll let everything come naturally.

Simple. Sit Omersa when Murphy comes out and maybe play Curry over Matz only against teams that have a smaller, quicker 5 that can beat you from the perimeter. Oturu might see a slight minutes reduction but not by too much because he is a better rim protector, aside for when he goes for the block and leaves his man open.

I didn't mean that the solution was complicated, I'm saying the actual rotation issue and needed changes to the rotations will come when Curry comes back. No need to changes things right now starting wise imo. In game adjustments and who's playing at the end of the games is a different and more valuable conversation.

I don't see Curry displacing Oturu from the starting 5.

This isn't about "maturity." This is about ball handling skills. IW has point guard ball handling skills and it doesn't appear that anyone else on the team does.

What do ball handling skills matter if a possession ends up with an ill-advised shot or pass that sails out of bounds? A turnover is a turnover.

The last two games Washington's A/TO ratio is 4/3 in 35 minutes, with 3-for-15 shooting from the field.

"Maturity" is all about taking care of the ball, knowing what's a smart shot or pass, and what isn't. Washington hasn't shown he has that yet.

JTG

What do ball handling skills matter if a possession ends up with an ill-advised shot or pass that sails out of bounds? A turnover is a turnover.

The last two games Washington's A/TO ratio is 4/3 in 35 minutes, with 3-for-15 shooting from the field.

"Maturity" is all about taking care of the ball, knowing what's a smart shot or pass, and what isn't. Washington hasn't shown he has that yet.

JTG

This for sure. He's not ready. Until he quits taking terrible shots, he shouldn't start. In fact, his minutes should be reduced. He not a good shooter, AT ALL. I'd prefer it if he didn't shoot the ball, just passed
or took it to the rim. That is where he is valuable. He takes a lot of 3's, but might be the worst 3 point shooter in the Big Ten. I thought he was coming around after the first game, but these last 2, he looks like he
is back to his old tricks. I like the guy's potential, but he has to know that if you can't shoot - don't.

IW shot well the final 10 games of the season last year. He has been cold to start this year. We need him to score points for this team to reach its potential. We already have too many non-scoring options.

People keep comparing him to Tum Tum or Rondo. I see the comparison but look at who those players were and are surrounded with. I'd be a hell of a lot more likely to pass to a guy if I knew he can score. I'm not real keen on him kicking the ball out to Omersa, Stockman or Hurt. They just aren't that good.

I agree, IW will cause Pitino to start coloring his hair color, but IW needs to learn by playing. I think that he will settle down more when he knows he has the handle and it is his team.

Starting lineup will not change next game...oturu will keep his starting job

IW Time is now. We don’t need a loss before making a change. Clearly the only one who can handle pressure. This makes 2 spots better. Coffey is so good at getting out on the break and finishing at the rim. So now we lose these easy buckets by playing a spot he is absolutely not equipped for. Someone said well he will need time to learn it ..no if u want someone learn on the job it’s IW because if he completely figures this out this is a top 5 big ten team.

Mcbrayer has been good but his best year was when he was the 6th man scoring tons of the bench.

I agree, IW will cause Pitino to start coloring his hair color, but IW needs to learn by playing. I think that he will settle down more when he knows he has the handle and it is his team.

This feels backwards. It should be his team when he earns it and shows he can handle it. That said, it may be what we are stuck with, because I hate making Amir play his minutes at PG when he is more effective elsewhere.

You don't make a starting lineup change based on one bad game especially when it was a bad game for pretty much everyone in a Gopher uniform and you still found a way to win. Starks is a very good PG and will cause problems for a lot of his opponents like he did Coffey last night. I'm confident the problems won't persist and we will see Coffey looking good at PG again tomorrow night.

The 5 that start a game are much less important than the 5 who finish a game. I have no problems with IW coming off the bench. I think that in games where we need a competent ball handler IW will need to shine at the end of the game. This means he needs to discipline himself and stay within the game plan. Street ball left in Brooklyn please.

JTG

Pretty harsh but this is kinda where I'm at right now. I cringe a little bit when he has the ball and starts looking to heave it up. Horrible shot selection and it doesn't seem to have changed much even though it's been a point of focus apparently.

Top Bottom