Pioneer Press: Five keys to successful Gophers basketball season

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

For head coach Richard Pitino’s sixth season to be a success, and create distance from last year’s disappointing ending, these five things will be key:

1. Coffey at point
With senior Nate Mason gone and sophomore Isaiah Washington not ready to start, Pitino will turn to the 6-foot-8 Coffey to serve as point guard.

“We play fast,” off guard Dupree McBrayer said. “Having him, he’s a taller guard and he shoots right over people so he can score, pass and he defends at a high level. Having him, we run a lot more.”

Coffey, who missed the 14 of the last 16 games, has a career 1.6 assist-to-turnover ratio and averages 12.9 points across 51 games. Pitino sees a breakout year for the junior from Hopkins.

Coffey at the point is increasingly important with no word yet on whether the NCAA has granted point guard Marcus Carr’s waiver to play immediately after he transferred from Pittsburgh a year ago. He is ineligible until the U hears the ruling.

2. McBrayer healthy
McBrayer missed five games last season because of leg injuries and played hurt in many more down the stretch.

“I tried to give it my all, but there were definitely a ton of games where I couldn’t play, but I sacrificed for my teammates,” McBrayer said.

Now, the 6-5 senior is 100 percent healthy. “I’m having fun like I was two years ago, so I’m back to my old self,” McBrayer said.

McBrayer scored 11.1 points as a junior in 34 games, but his averaged slipped to 9.4 in 27 games last season.

3. Murph, the man
Forward Jordan Murphy was named to the 50-player Naismith Award watch list Monday. His NCAA-leading 24 double-doubles a year ago was a big reason why.

“It’s cool just being able to be recognized like that on a national scale,” he said. “It’s always a good thing. I just want to win it, so it’s just like cool for now until we get to that point.”

While Murphy might not follow Villanova national champion Jalen Brunson as the nation’s best player, he is the Gophers’ biggest star. The 6-7 senior will be asked to again be the leading offensive force after averaging 16.8 points and 11.3 rebounds per game a year ago.

4. Leadership duo
Murphy and McBrayer said they aren’t natural vocal leaders, but that will have to change during their senior season.

“It’s a work in progress,” McBrayer said. “Neither of us like to talk, so we really have to step out of our comfort zone and try to get guys acclimated to the way we do things around here.

“It’s hard for us, but for us to be good, we have to get out of our comfort zones.”

5. Curry’s comeback
The Gophers announced last week that versatile forward/center Eric Curry will be out four to six weeks because of surgery to the same knee that cost him the entire 2017-18 season.

If he returns healthy for the bulk of the Big Ten schedule, Minnesota will gain a veteran player who understands defensive principles, end-of-game situations and who is an improving three-point shooter.

Curry’s return would be a big relief to Pitino, who is counting on freshmen Daniel Oturu and Jarvis Omersa to see bigger roles in the frontcourt.

http://grandforksherald.com/sports/basketball/4524875-five-keys-successful-gophers-basketball-season

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom