No shame, no gain: Gophers Pitino goads players into more effort in practice

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

Gophers coach Richard Pitino admits he has fun “shaming” players on his basketball team that don’t go hard enough in practice, so he came up with an idea to motivate them.

From the first practice of the 2018-19 season this fall, Minnesota’s players can earn a jersey that reads “I Practice Harder Than You.” It was Pitino’s way of rewarding who finishes ahead in plus-minus statistics charted throughout practice.

“I’m really big on shaming the rest of the players,” Pitino joked at Sunday’s media day. “We keep a running total. It’s on the TV in the locker room, as well as the film room. I give them extra water breaks and things like that within reason that you’re allowed to do.”

Pitino said players who finish in the bottom four on that list get extra conditioning at the end of practice. Senior captain Jordan Murphy and junior Amir Coffey were shown on Twitter wearing the jerseys last week. They’ve consistently outworked their teammates in practice this month.

“It’s been Amir and Murph basically have gotten them all,” Pitino said. “[Vanderbilt transfer] Payton [Willis] has gotten one as well. I won’t tell you who the bottom four guys are, but those are pretty consistent.”

http://www.startribune.com/no-shame...ayers-into-more-effort-in-practice/498842681/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom