AP: Gophers striving to bounce back from injury-ravaged season

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the AP:

The breakthrough that Minnesota enjoyed two years ago became an afterthought last season, as injuries mounted and losses piled up.

Finishing 15-17 was a rough follow-up for the Gophers to their only NCAA Tournament berth under coach Richard Pitino.

"I'm a lot better when we have a healthy roster as a coach," Pitino said. "I think that at the end of the day when you're building a program, to get stability it takes some time. I thought we were there last year."

This season, Pitino's sixth at Minnesota, will provide yet another opportunity for a reset.

After ominously losing forward Eric Curry to a torn ACL in a summer workout, seeing forward Amir Coffey sidelined by shoulder trouble after 18 games and watching shooting guard Dupree McBrayer hobble through leg injuries down the stretch, the Gophers are healthy again with some talented newcomers in the mix.

"We can't allow last year to derail that momentum," Pitino said.

Success will start with senior forward Jordan Murphy, who led the nation as a junior with 24 double-doubles. He averaged 16.8 points and a Big Ten-leading 11.3 rebounds per game in 2017-18. Pitino has advised Murphy to work even harder on his rebounding, for the sake of team and career.

https://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/article220639630.html

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom