Solid preseason ranking for Gophers, #43

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Feels about right to me. We have a lot to prove to deserve anything better. If we remain healthy, I believe we will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We’ll be a 3-5 seed in the ncaa tournament, depending how our conference does in the nonconference. Book it!

Let's hope NC A&T and MSM can stay out of the 300s...

22. Washington
81. Utah
83. Boston College
98. Oklahoma State
126. Texas A&M
188. North Florida
225. Santa Clara
249. Arkansas State
276. Nebraska Omaha
336. North Carolina A&T
341. Mount St. Mary's

We’ll be a 3-5 seed in the ncaa tournament, depending how our conference does in the nonconference. Book it!

Unless we essentially run the table in B1G or a bunch of our non cons bring their rankings up, we'll be hanging by q thread to get into the Ncaas.

Unless we essentially run the table in B1G or a bunch of our non cons bring their rankings up, we'll be hanging by q thread to get into the Ncaas.

Run the table in the Big 10? What kind of acid are you on and can I have some? Youre off your tits. Just like there is 0% chance Hurt signs with the Gophers, right?

Dang. I didn't realize that Washington was suppossed to be a ranked team this year.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Run the table in the Big 10? What kind of acid are you on and can I have some? Youre off your tits. Just like there is 0% chance Hurt signs with the Gophers, right?

Lets say he means 16-4 by "essentially run the table" and the Gophers go 9-2 in the non conference, that puts them as a top 4 seed in the B1G Tourney...but yeah, they'd barely make the tourney as a top 25 team.

Lets say he means 16-4 by "essentially run the table" and the Gophers go 9-2 in the non conference, that puts them as a top 4 seed in the B1G Tourney...but yeah, they'd barely make the tourney as a top 25 team.

Uhh, if the gophers win 25, then they would be a lock for a top 7 seed and I’d be shocked if they were lower than 5.

Uhh, if the gophers win 25, then they would be a lock for a top 7 seed and I’d be shocked if they were lower than 5.

agreed, never heard of a 25 win team ‘barely’ making the tourney.

So, you're expecting us to get a Gonzaga type seeding?

Well, sure, but that won't be easy. Our non-conference schedule isn't easy (no one knows yet how many of those four power conference teams ranking lower than the Gophers in that list will actually be much higher). I'd say 9-2 on the non-conference would be pretty good. 13-7 in the conference would be very good. That's 22-9.

So, you're expecting us to get a Gonzaga type seeding?

If the Lynch/Kavanaugh like thing didn't happen last year we'd be two years in a row around a 5 seed. I think we're undervalued right now, which I like, it keeps us hungry. I don't see any non conference losses, maybe 1. Every year they say Washington is going to be good, and they're just mediocre. I expect the B1G to rebound from last years historically bad performance. 12-13 wins should do it.

Last edited:

If the Lynch/Kavanaugh like thing didn't happen last year we'd be two years in a row around a 5 seed. I think we're undervalued right now, which I like, it keeps us hungry. I don't see any non conference losses, maybe 1. Every year they say Washington is going to be good, and they're just mediocre. I expect the B1G to rebound from last years historically bad performance. 12-13 wins should do it.

Don't sleep on Washington. Lorenzo Romar's teams underachieved. Mike Hopkins is a good coach, and they have the talent to be a top 25 team and Pac-12 contender.

agreed, never heard of a 25 win team ‘barely’ making the tourney.

It's happened, but not with a Power 6 school. IIRC, SMU was ranked and missed the tournament altogether a few years ago.

I think Nebraska from last year is making folks overly paranoid. Their non-conference was truly awful and the B1G schedule set up too easily for them on top of it. Certainly if we go something like 8-4 in the non-conference, it would be possible for us to 14-6 or so in the B1G and not make it. But if we go 10-2 or better we should be fine.

Last edited:

I think you missed the sarcasm. Clearly a 25-6 team from the Big Ten is making the tournament very easily.

Gophers roster is severely under ranked. But once the year starts you earn your ranking. If this roster can not finish top three in the conference, in year 6 then it will not happen. It is one thing to fight UW, MSU,Mich and Purdue but by next year Ohio State and Indiana will be loaded as they hired fantastic coaches. The time is now !

43 and a borderline tournament team is really generous given that this team was horrible last year and basically always has been when Reggie Lynch hasn’t been playing. I get that we have some new guys but there’s a lot that has to go right for the team to make the tourney.

43 and a borderline tournament team is really generous given that this team was horrible last year and basically always has been when Reggie Lynch hasn’t been playing. I get that we have some new guys but there’s a lot that has to go right for the team to make the tourney.
No. Very easy to see this team making the tournament. Roster is deeper and more talented than it was in 2016 when Gophers were a 5 seed especially if Marcus Carr is cleared.

I thought they weren't very good when they didn't have an option in the middle, they became very easy to defend, the year before they were effective when Curry was playing center, this year they should have multiple options.

Top Bottom