If You Were the Rule Czar for NCAA Basketball, which Rules Would You Change ?

Livingat45north

Reaction score
Free throws make too much of a difference in the outcome of games. When a team is awarded a free throw, I'd also give them the option of turning down the free throw and instead taking the ball out of bounds.

1. 6 fouls (I want to see the best players play)

2. Put a limit on reviews.

3. Live ball, only players can call timeouts.

4. 3 timeouts total, with 1 being a use it or lose it in 1st half.

Agreed, especially #3. Basketball is a player's game, lets keep it that way.

#4 aint going to happen because of ad revenue.

TO

Rule 3 has been in force since the 2015-16 Season, slightly modified the following year to allow Coaches to call TO on In Bound plays.

1. No TV timeouts.

2. Timeouts by players only.

3. 1 timeout per half for each team.

4. Players can make money off of their likenesses

5. Allow players to transfer without penalty if a coach leaves

6. Coaches, ADs, and univesity presidents are all penalized for cheating. If a coach moves jobs, then the new employer inherits the previous school's sanctions.

7. Death penalty for 1st time, egregious violations like Penn St. football. The game can never too big and important to cover up crimes to protect wins.

8. Replace the NCAA with a new governing entity. The NCAA is too corrupt to be allowed to manage anything.

I know this would never happen, but last year's 5-on-3 game got me thinking of combining hockey's power play with basketball.

- A team can choose to play for 2 minutes with one less player (e.g., resulting in only having four players on the court).
- A team that has completed it's 2 minutes of playing with one less player, can then choose another 2 minute time period to play with one additional player (e.g., resulting in having six players on the court).
- A team can only chose to start these 2 minute time periods if the amount of players on the floor is equal (e.g., five on five).
- A team can only do this when they have possession of the ball.
- A team can start their 2 minute time period anytime other than the two minutes of a half or the last four minutes of a half.
- A team can only do this once per game.

Last edited:

I would agree with every one of these. My limit on reviews would be zero reviews. Basketball got along just fine without reviews for 100 years. Inside of two minutes each team basically gets unlimited timeouts because officials will review anything remotely close.

I would also enforce the existing rule of no gathering your team together after a player has fouled out.

If teams are so bad and players are so stupid they can't figure out what to do inside of 2 minutes on their own they don't deserve to win.

I'd get rid of Thursday night NFL games.

1. I'd make all NCAA teams have to follow recruiting rules.
2. Coach's breaking recruiting rules get a mandatory 5 year ban.
3. Coach's salaries for banned coaches get divided among teams in the conference of the banned teams for all 5 years.
4. Players get monthly stipend.

I'd eliminate the double bonus, or at the very least, defer it to 11 fouls from the current 10. 3 one-and-ones per team per half isn't enough.

Teams could determine the three point line at the beginning of the season.

Women's rules on game time & bonus (4 10 minute quarters - 2 shots on the 5th team foul, no 1 and 1)
NBA & International lane - will give more room inside.

3 point line is one inch shorter for each year since you last won the conference at your home arena. Visiting teams shoot from the regular line.

I find watching free throws extremely boring. Perhaps keep a record of all earned free throws and shoot them at end of first half and end of second half. Would make for a much more action filled game. Also adopt international rule for out of bounds.

I think there should be a center jump after every made field goal. And do away with that newfangled 3-point line.

In a free throw situation, you may sub only immediately *before* the first free throw. No subs between the first and second. No subs after a made 2nd.

Offensive fouls are teams fouls not individual fouls.

No new time outs after a time out was called omn inbound passes.

Players get an extra foul if a game goes into OT meaning even previously fouled out players can come back in.
Option to take the ball out of bounds rather than take free throws on fouls in the last 5 minutes of a game.

In a free throw situation, you may sub only immediately *before* the first free throw. No subs between the first and second. No subs after a made 2nd.

Actually, there are only subs on a multi-free throw situation before the last free throw.

I would allow subs only for the shooter after the last free throw.

1. No TV timeouts.

2. Timeouts by players only.

3. 1 timeout per half for each team.

4. Players can make money off of their likenesses

5. Allow players to transfer without penalty if a coach leaves

6. Coaches, ADs, and univesity presidents are all penalized for cheating. If a coach moves jobs, then the new employer inherits the previous school's sanctions.

7. Death penalty for 1st time, egregious violations like Penn St. football. The game can never too big and important to cover up crimes to protect wins.

8. Replace the NCAA with a new governing entity. The NCAA is too corrupt to be allowed to manage anything.

I've always believed a player should be able to leave the program and have immediate eligibility if the head coach was fired or moved to another school, and I'm not just saying that because I want Carr to play this year. However, my rule would also say that the player would only be eligible immediately if he transferred to a new conference. If you stay within the same conference, you have to sit out a year.

Last edited:

Top Bottom