ESPN: Shareef O'Neal, Shaq's son, out for season with heart ailment

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

Shareef O'Neal, the son of Shaquille O'Neal and a four-star recruit at UCLA, will miss the entire 2018-19 season after doctors discovered a heart ailment that will require surgery.

O'Neal told TMZ Sports he "felt funny" during team workouts this summer so UCLA's doctors made him wear a heart monitor so he could push a button whenever he wanted to alert them. He said he pressed the button during one summer practice and doctors later discovered the heart ailment that will force him to miss the upcoming season.

He said he expects to return after a medical redshirt season in 2018-19.

"So, the other day during routine checkup, we found a medical issue dealing with my heart," O'Neal said in the video. "And thank God UCLA medical staff found it early, but causing this I will not be playing this season and I will be a medical redshirt. But during this time off, I'll be off for a while, I'll be focusing on academics, my health, of course, and I'll just be observing to be the best player I can be next year."

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...oneal-shaq-son-miss-ucla-season-heart-ailment

Go Gophers!!

Have to wonder if his career is in jeopardy

If he comes back, which he clearly has set a goal to do, he will be answering questions about it the rest of his career. Not Jarvis Johnson 2.0, but it's in range. Very sad.

Shaquille O'Neal's Son Shareef Announces Decision to Transfer from UCLA

UCLA forward Shareef O'Neal, the son of Hall of Fame center Shaquille O'Neal, announced his intention to transfer Wednesday.

"After meeting with Shareef on Tuesday, he told me that he plans to transfer. We fully support his decision and are wishing him all the best," UCLA coach Mike Cronin said in a statement.

O'Neal, a freshman, averaged 2.2 points and 2.9 rebounds in 13 games this season. He returned to the Bruins after missing the entire 2018-19 season after undergoing surgery for a preexisting heart condition.

A 4-star recruit out of Crossroads in Los Angeles, O'Neal was the No. 41 overall recruit and eighth-ranked power forward in the 2018 class.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom