Loyola-Chicago's non-con schedule is lacking -- because other coaches won't play them

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per CBS:

To remind the nation about these guys.

This is a program coming off a school-record 32 wins, a Final Four for the first time in 55 years and its first NCAA Tournament appearance in 23 seasons.

Unfortunately, college basketball and its cadre of cautious coaches has failed itself. Loyola released its 2018-19 non-conference schedule this week: It features just one game against a 2018 NCAA Tournament team (Nevada) and just one game against a school from a power conference (Maryland).

"I had a little more optimism [in the spring] that I was going to get some more home-and-homes against some power conferences," Moser told CBS Sports. "I feel like our schedule is noticeably better than last year, and I think that -- I hope -- the [selection] committee considers, 'Look what he's done since the Final Four, what he's tried to do.'"

Regrettably, scheduling paranoia from the major-conference illuminati has struck again. Rather than see an opportunity to play against a trendy/name mid-major and potential top-50 team, nearly two dozen big schools balked in fear. Loyola reached out to approximately 20 teams from the ACC, Big East, SEC, Big Ten, Big 12 and Pac-12. All of them, except Maryland, said no.

And before we give Maryland too much credit, you should realize that the Terps wouldn't agree to a home-and-home. This will be a one-time thing, and Loyola, of course, will be the one that has to travel for the game. If it should win, it won't even have the benefit of earning a road victory; the game will be played in Baltimore and therefore officially logged as a neutral-site contest.

"We were trying to get those kind of games on our schedule," Moser said. "Maryland stepped up. It's a one-time deal, they're not returning. It's not ideal for me. You can't build great schedules on getting bought. Here I am, a Final Four team, getting bought."

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...were-wrongly-afraid-to-schedule-the-ramblers/

Go Gophers!!

I wish the Gophers would play them. Would be a blast to have them at The Barn.

Top Bottom