STrib: Gophers' Michael Hurt on improvement, his new role and talented brother

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

Q: You and fellow junior Amir Coffey are both unselfish and have great court vision. Does that make it hard to not always want to pass the ball and get other players good shots?

A: Basically, sometimes we forget that if we have the ball in our hands we can go score, too. We’re just as capable of scoring, too. So I think now I’m getting a better feel for it. Amir has definitely got a better feel of when the right time is to shoot and the right time to pass. But I think we’re always looking for the next pass. We’re always looking for the guy that’s open.

Q: Moving the ball, shooting, cutting, knowing the game, playing hard are all your strengths. But do some people forget that you’re actually a pretty good athlete as well?

A: I think sometimes I can surprise my teammates a little bit with it. I’m not completely unathletic. I can make a few plays (above the rim).

Q: What type of leadership role do you think you’ll have this season as a junior?

A: It feels like those first two years went by pretty quick. I think with so many newcomers we’re all ready to take leadership roles. I think Eric (Curry) sat out last year, but he got to see the game from a coach’s perspective. So I think he’ll definitely be a huge leader for us. Having me and whoever we have coming off the bench will be a voice. I hope I can be a leader on the floor and off the floor whatever they want from me. I just hope I can help guys out. I’ve been through almost everything. Hopefully, I can give the younger guys some advice that can be helpful.

Q: Do you see Pitino playing you more at small forward or power forward this season?

A: We’re very, very flexible. When we’ve been practicing this summer we have so much flexibility with what guys can play. I’m playing the 3 and the 4. Eric is playing the 4 and the 5. Murph is playing the 4 and 5. Amir can play 1 through 3. So many guys who can play so many positions. A lot of our stuff is 5 out motion actions and things. Coach Pitino likes to use an example of Warriors basketball. I think just the flexibility we have. I think I’ll play a lot more 4 than I expected with (center) Matz (Stockman) leaving (transferring to California).

Q: Your brother, Matthew, is a five-star senior recruit, so do you think playing for a blue-blood program over joining you at Minnesota will be too hard to pass up?

A: It’s all about making the best decision for him. He has to understand who he’s going to play with and what the playing style is. He has to understand how the coaches are planning on using him and how he fits into their system. I think when it comes down to him making a decision; it’s got to come down to he has aspirations to play in the NBA. He’s got to understand that where he’s going to be able to be in the best position for that. Sometimes when you go to a big school, you might not get all your talents out there as much, just because you’re on a bigger team. Versus if you go to a smaller school maybe you do, but you don’t have as much exposure. So it’s all about making it balanced. He’ll make a good decision when he’s ready.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...-his-new-role-and-talented-brother/489637841/

Go Gophers!!

5 out motion is a bit surprising to me. Does this mean Murph is developing an outside shot to go with his interior game?
5 out is intriguing because we have some really nice components for getting to the hoop off dribble penitration if the other team has to guard each player and not cheat.
I just don't know that we have the perimeter shooters to make 5 out motion work.

5 out motion is a bit surprising to me. Does this mean Murph is developing an outside shot to go with his interior game?
5 out is intriguing because we have some really nice components for getting to the hoop off dribble penitration if the other team has to guard each player and not cheat.
I just don't know that we have the perimeter shooters to make 5 out motion work.

A hypothetical lineup of IW, Stull, McBrayer, Hurt, and Curry would have plenty of shooters. Doubt we see a 5 out very often though.

You still have the ability to post people up in 5 out. There are tons of actions designed to give you that intention but making the defense move....ideally getting a switch for someone to guard the post who can't. You don't stand in 5 spots....you cut, exchange, screen, dribble handoff, screen and roll etc

You still have the ability to post people up in 5 out. There are tons of actions designed to give you that intention but making the defense move....ideally getting a switch for someone to guard the post who can't. You don't stand in 5 spots....you cut, exchange, screen, dribble handoff, screen and roll etc

Correct, it is not just 5 guys standing outside of the line jacking up 3’s. It is designed for teams with a good distribution of talent and scoring off the pass and cut or pass screen and curl, etc... I am sure Pitino will mix it up during the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm glad to hear Michael saying this: "Sometimes when you go to a big school, you might not get all your talents out there as much, just because you’re on a bigger team. Versus if you go to a smaller school maybe you do, but you don’t have as much exposure."

I'm glad to hear Michael saying this: "Sometimes when you go to a big school, you might not get all your talents out there as much, just because you’re on a bigger team. Versus if you go to a smaller school maybe you do, but you don’t have as much exposure."
Quite frankly Hurt is rated high enough where it doesn't matter. He could go here or any other big ten school, and they would get on national TV more, not every game but more often because of Him

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom