STrib: Daniel Oturu's ahead of schedule and "thinks he's ready," Pitino says

BleedGopher

Reaction score
STrib: Daniel Oturu's ahead of schedule and "thinks he's ready," Pitino says

per Marcus:

Despite not being cleared for summer practice yet, Gophers top incoming recruit and freshman center Daniel Oturu showed signs last week that he’s ahead of schedule in his recovery from shoulder surgery.

Last Wednesday, fellow freshman Gabe Kalscheur posted a video on his Instagram of Oturu throwing down an emphatic dunk at the U’s Athletes Village practice court. It was the same right shoulder he had surgery on.

So it certainly looks like he's back.

Team doctors, though, are expected to clear Oturu in a couple weeks, Pitino said recently. He had reconstructive surgery on his right shoulder in April, but the talented young big man should officially be ready once players return for the fall semester in late August.

“He's chomping at the bit,” Pitino said of Oturu. “He thinks he's ready to go. He's excited.”

For the third straight year, Pitino headlined the Gophers recruiting class with a top-50 recruit. First it was Amir Coffey, followed by Isaiah Washington. Now Cretin-Derham Hall’s Oturu is entering his freshman year with high expectations.

Ranked as high as the 37th best player in the 2018 class, Oturu was listed as one of the top 15 freshmen entering the Big Ten by CBSSports’ Jon Rothstein on Twitter this week.

Oturu was arguably the most dominant post presence in Minnesota high school basketball last season. The Raiders’ swat machine led the state with 6.1 blocks per game and won the Class 4A state title with a buzzer-beating alley-oop dunk.

So what might his role be as a freshman next season? Pitino isn’t sure if it will be as the team’s starter in the middle or first post off the bench, but he anticipates Oturu having as big an impact as any freshman in the Big Ten. The Gophers will need Oturu to play heavy minutes as the only true center on the roster.

“Daniel in my opinion is one of the best big guys in the country,” Pitino said. “I think it’ll take time. But he’s got the talent to do it. That’s the most important thing. And he really understands how to play. I think if you watch that last game the state finals game, he played great. And it was a really good game … it brought the most out of Daniel.”

http://www.startribune.com/daniel-o...-and-thinks-he-s-ready-pitino-says/489021491/

Go Gophers!!

per Marcus:

Despite not being cleared for summer practice yet, Gophers top incoming recruit and freshman center Daniel Oturu showed signs last week that he’s ahead of schedule in his recovery from shoulder surgery.

Last Wednesday, fellow freshman Gabe Kalscheur posted a video on his Instagram of Oturu throwing down an emphatic dunk at the U’s Athletes Village practice court. It was the same right shoulder he had surgery on.

So it certainly looks like he's back.

Team doctors, though, are expected to clear Oturu in a couple weeks, Pitino said recently. He had reconstructive surgery on his right shoulder in April, but the talented young big man should officially be ready once players return for the fall semester in late August.

“He's chomping at the bit,” Pitino said of Oturu. “He thinks he's ready to go. He's excited.”

For the third straight year, Pitino headlined the Gophers recruiting class with a top-50 recruit. First it was Amir Coffey, followed by Isaiah Washington. Now Cretin-Derham Hall’s Oturu is entering his freshman year with high expectations.

Ranked as high as the 37th best player in the 2018 class, Oturu was listed as one of the top 15 freshmen entering the Big Ten by CBSSports’ Jon Rothstein on Twitter this week.

Oturu was arguably the most dominant post presence in Minnesota high school basketball last season. The Raiders’ swat machine led the state with 6.1 blocks per game and won the Class 4A state title with a buzzer-beating alley-oop dunk.

So what might his role be as a freshman next season? Pitino isn’t sure if it will be as the team’s starter in the middle or first post off the bench, but he anticipates Oturu having as big an impact as any freshman in the Big Ten. The Gophers will need Oturu to play heavy minutes as the only true center on the roster.

“Daniel in my opinion is one of the best big guys in the country,” Pitino said. “I think it’ll take time. But he’s got the talent to do it. That’s the most important thing. And he really understands how to play. I think if you watch that last game the state finals game, he played great. And it was a really good game … it brought the most out of Daniel.”

http://www.startribune.com/daniel-o...-and-thinks-he-s-ready-pitino-says/489021491/

Go Gophers!!
Looking forward to seeing this kid play. Is he potentionally a younger better version of Lynch? Defensively I mean, anyway I get indications from other posters that his offense might be-or will soon be-way beyond Lynch.

Looking forward to seeing this kid play. Is he potentionally a younger better version of Lynch? Defensively I mean, anyway I get indications from other posters that his offense might be-or will soon be-way beyond Lynch.

Reggie was DPOY, hard to really say he will be a better version of Lynch. Oturu is a very good shot blocker, rebounder and impressive athlete. I think he can do thinks defensively reggie couldn't (especially in the pick and roll game) but he needs to play a game before I say he is better.

I do think he can be as good or better, eventually. He is prodigious blocking shots and "chases" them less than Reggie does. EVERY. SINGLE. PLAY. Reggie went for the block, leaving the weak side open, allowing his man to get easy put backs on misses. Hopefully Oturu doesn't do the same

Offensively he already is better than Lynch ever was. Defensively he will be able to guard on the perimeter more and moves better. While I believe he will block and alter a lot of shots I don't think he is quite at Reggie's level in that regard yet although he is a little smarter in which shots he challenges and so might keep him on the floor more than Lynch.

Offensively he already is better than Lynch ever was. Defensively he will be able to guard on the perimeter more and moves better. While I believe he will block and alter a lot of shots I don't think he is quite at Reggie's level in that regard yet although he is a little smarter in which shots he challenges and so might keep him on the floor more than Lynch.

Lynch was really good at not fouling on block attempts. His fouls typically came from stupid reaches.

Excited about Oturu though. If he can simply be an above average shot blocker, that will be a major improvement over what we had after Lynch got suspended.

Offensively he already is better than Lynch ever was.

I wouldn’t go that far. I have seen Oturu play over 40 times. Oturu is a quicker jumper and more athletic. I think he will be able to catch the ball face up and do some things one on one will a little dribble. I think Oturu will be better at running the court rim to rim. I think Oturu will be better offensively soon enough.

Lynch had some awkwardly efficient low post move especially with the jump hooks would not mind seeing Oturu develop a jump hook.

He's played thousands of games son.

Son? Interesting choice of words when addressing someone who's probably older than you.

And no, he hasn't played thousands of games. More to the point, he has played zero collegiate games.

He hasn't played a game. How on Earth could you or anyone else possibly know that?
He has played plenty of games and shown a ton of skill on the offensive end. Reggie was a good player for us but wasn't exactly a skilled big man that you could throw the ball to on the block and just let him go to work.

Offensively he already is better than Lynch ever was.

I wouldn’t go that far. I have seen Oturu play over 40 times. Oturu is a quicker jumper and more athletic. I think he will be able to catch the ball face up and do some things one on one will a little dribble. I think Oturu will be better at running the court rim to rim. I think Oturu will be better offensively soon enough.

Lynch had some awkwardly efficient low post move especially with the jump hooks would not mind seeing Oturu develop a jump hook.
I would and I did. Oturu has better post moves than Reggie ever showed for us but the biggest difference is Daniel can step out and hit a mid range jumper. When he is hitting that consistently somebody has to come out and guard him and he has the quickness to pump fake and go around the guy for a easy dunk.

Oturu sticking mid range jumpers? Ok... not the 40+ games I saw him. Put backs, lobs and a nice drop step move on the block. Far from polished... mid range jumpers come on man... Daniel has improved every year and will continue to do so.. Mid range jumpers... good stuff

He has played plenty of games and shown a ton of skill on the offensive end. Reggie was a good player for us but wasn't exactly a skilled big man that you could throw the ball to on the block and just let him go to work.

When Oturu scores 10+ per game this year, shoots 58% from the floor and 71% from the line, you can come back and tell me how he's a better offensive player than Lynch.

When Oturu scores 10+ per game this year, shoots 58% from the floor and 71% from the line, you can come back and tell me how he's a better offensive player than Lynch.

I get your point, but Reggie did that during mostly non-conference. In his one full season for the Gophers he averaged 8.4pts on 53.4% shooting, while hitting 63.9% from the line. And in that season he averaged 7.8pts on 48.3% shooting while hitting 73.7% from the line in conference games.

Not saying Oturu is better than Reggie offensively but you can’t just cherry pick stats from a half season.

I get your point, but Reggie did that during mostly non-conference. In his one full season for the Gophers he averaged 8.4pts on 53.4% shooting, while hitting 63.9% from the line. And in that season he averaged 7.8pts on 48.3% shooting while hitting 73.7% from the line in conference games.

Not saying Oturu is better than Reggie offensively but you can’t just cherry pick stats from a half season.

You don't know the definition of cherry-picking.

And though the sample size is small, he actually scored more in Big Ten games (12.0 ppg) than in non-conference games.

If Daniel Oturu scores 12 ppg in the Big Ten this season, I'll log off and never visit this site again. You can bookmark this post, add it to your signature, whatever you want.

Oturu sticking mid range jumpers? Ok... not the 40+ games I saw him. Put backs, lobs and a nice drop step move on the block. Far from polished... mid range jumpers come on man... Daniel has improved every year and will continue to do so.. Mid range jumpers... good stuff
I agree, he may get there as an upperclassmen, but Omersa also has a long way to go shooting, but I'd put him ahead of Oturu right now.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Oturu has a much higher ceiling than Reggie and will have a much greater chance to play in the NBA but I don't think he'll be a significantly better college player than Reggie, at least in his first three years. I could see him having the type of seasons Reggie had as a second and third year guy and then continue to get better and better as a senior/NBA player whereas Reggie is probably closed to maxing out his potential. If Daniel does play a 4th and 5th year in college than he probably will be a lot better than Reggie or at least there isn't any reason for him not to be but we'll see.

Not sure I agree with that.

His footwork definitely wasn't pretty, it was very awkward but if you fed him in the post, he could convert at decent rate. He had a nice touch around the basket on postups,

You don't know the definition of cherry-picking.

And though the sample size is small, he actually scored more in Big Ten games (12.0 ppg) than in non-conference games.

If Daniel Oturu scores 12 ppg in the Big Ten this season, I'll log off and never visit this site again. You can bookmark this post, add it to your signature, whatever you want.

If he scores 12 ppg in 3 big ten games you mean, because thats what Reggie did. You're not comparing apples to apples expecting Oturu to do it for 20 games when Reggie did it for 3.

You would be missed greatly so I hope he scores 20ppg, because that isn't the 12 you specified

Also, smart to put 12ppg, not 12+ cause its very unlikely he averages exactly 12ppg next year

I would and I did. Oturu has better post moves than Reggie ever showed for us but the biggest difference is Daniel can step out and hit a mid range jumper. When he is hitting that consistently somebody has to come out and guard him and he has the quickness to pump fake and go around the guy for a easy dunk.

That is wishful thinking. Even if he can hit that jumper and draw a defender out collegiate defense is at least a step above high school so the chance of that easy dunk is very small. It might happen once or twice but the defense will adjust to it and it won't happen again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is little doubt in my mind that Daniel will eventually be a very good college player. But I'm not sure it's safe to say it'll happen next year. People are super excited about what Curry will bring this year, and in his freshman season he averaged 20mpg/5ppg/5rpg/43.1%FG. Those stats don't exactly jump off the page, but I'd certainly take those type of numbers from Daniel in his freshman year.

There are very few freshman big men who can be major factors for NCAA tournament-worthy teams. And the ones who do usually are able to do so because they can step out and hit a three. Even if Daniel is able to hit a mid-range jumper I don't see him being able to consistently hit threes as a freshman, especially when he wasn't able to get a full off-season of training in due to the injury recovery. I think we'll see some flashes from him this year, but there will be growing pains as well.

Impossible to know what Oturu is going to accomplish because we have no idea on the emphasis the coach or the team will follow. IW is able to penetrate...Reggie was too slow to finish a high percentage of the drop offs from IW, Mason or others.
Oturu is a quick jumper, I would think he'll be able to convert a lot of drop offs from IW. If we set picks and throw him lobs, I would think he can score at a double figure pace. It's about utilizing the athleticism available. I think Oturu is an "elite" athlete.
If we are able to knock down threes, we are going to be pretty tough to defend. Our inside guys are going to be quicker...Oturu, Omersa, Curry...the defense against the Gophers won't be able to recover nearly as often as in the recent past...we'll likely attack faster or finish inside faster with those guys inside...no defense for that.

Re bounding should be better, especially on the offensive glass! Athletic big men excel on the offensive boards, quick explosive jumpers like Omersa, Curry and Oturu should complement Murph nicely.

So based on this logic, LeBron James as a senior in high school wasn't better than Mav Ahamisi because he had never played a college game.

So based on this logic, LeBron James as a senior in high school wasn't better than Mav Ahamisi because he had never played a college game.

Daniel Oturu isn't LeBron James, or Kobe Bryant, or Greg Oden, or anyone else you idiotically bring up as a comparison.

Oturu isn't better offensively than Lynch right now not because he hasn't played a college game, but because there is absolutely no way that he averages double digits as a freshman. Believe me or don't, but we'll see when the games are played in a few months.

At this point we obviously don't know who's going to start at center, but even if it is Oturu, I really do hope that Pitino plays Murphy and Curry together a lot. Judging from two years ago, they complement each other so well.

Daniel Oturu isn't LeBron James, or Kobe Bryant, or Greg Oden, or anyone else you idiotically bring up as a comparison.

Oturu isn't better offensively than Lynch right now not because he hasn't played a college game, but because there is absolutely no way that he averages double digits as a freshman. Believe me or don't, but we'll see when the games are played in a few months.

There isn't?

It's more likely than not he doesn't average double digits but there absolutely is a chance that he could, especially if he beats out Curry for the starting center spot which very well could happen. Even more of a chance if Curry or anyone else gets hurt.

I mean Amir averaged over 12 PPG as a frosh and he was the composite #49 player, Oturu is composite #50 and IW averaged 8.8 PPG and he was composite #50 overall. He definitely has the talent and skill to average double figures if he gets enough minutes and is healthy and he will at the very least be top 7 in minutes this year, potentially top 5.

Again, I think it's less likely than not that he won't but there absolutely is a chance he coudl average double digits with his current offensive skill est and physical tools.

Oturu very well could average double digits but if he doesn't the main reason for that will be because he is splitting time with Curry and Murphy. I do believe Oturu will be more efficient than Lynch and if that is the case he can be a better offensive player than Lynch even if he doesn't average double digits as a freshman. I think you will be very surprised by Daniel remember he is a top 50 recruit.

Top Bottom