STrib: How Gophers' Jordan Murphy tested NBA waters, without jumping in

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

Jordan Murphy’s name cannot be found among the 21 Big Ten non-seniors officially listed as declaring early for the 2018 NBA Draft. The Gophers forward decided not to submit his name this spring following his All-Big Ten junior season.

But Murphy did stick his toe in NBA waters.

There are different degrees of “declaring for the NBA” these days. If a player is all-in, he declares for the pros and hires an agent. If he’s halfway in, he submits his name but doesn’t hire an agent, keeping the door open to return to college. Murphy didn’t have to do either to get feedback from big-league minds, though.

Instead of joining the hundreds of players who tweeted this spring they were “testing the waters” of the draft, Murphy just applied to the NBA Undergraduate Advisory Committee to hear what they had to say about his stock. The information gathered in this process is private.

“If you’re thinking of going early and you’re unsure about where you’re going to get drafted, I think that’s where the advisory board helps,” Gophers coach Richard Pitino said. “It’s his life and he’s always got to consider everything. But he seems pretty focused on having a good offseason and a great year next year.”

Although he has decided to stay in school, Murphy made it clear this season that despite being an undersized post, playing in the NBA is his goal.

“I’m a firm believer that height doesn’t ‘really matter,” Murphy said. “You look at the smaller players in the NBA who made a name for themselves just because of their heart and how hard they work. I think that paves the way for guys like me to possibly make the NBA one day and possibly play at a high level.”

As other NBA hopefuls consider whether to go all-in for the draft this month, Fraschilla said Murphy made a good decision to at least use the advisory option.

“The worst thing a guy like Jordan Murphy could do is get bad advice,” he said. “The prevailing wisdom is ‘go back to school and try to be an All-American.’ ”

http://www.startribune.com/how-gophers-jordan-murphy-tested-nba-waters-without-jumping-in/482092881/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom