Eric Kaler: Expect big college basketball changes before next season

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

The NCAA Division I Board of Directors, of which Kaler is chairman, already has agreed to move forward in creating legislation. Various subgroups were given assignments to turn the commission’s ideas into proposals to consider during the board’s Aug. 8 meeting.

“With the goal of getting as many of the reforms as possible by the first tip-off of the basketball season of the fall of 2018,” Kaler said. “So we’re moving on this very, very quickly.”

Most notably, the commission recommended eliminating the “one-and-done” college player by reducing the minimum age to enter the NBA draft from 19 to 18. The report also recommended allowing student-athletes to work with agents; allowing undrafted players to return to college ball; limiting shoe company influence; and sharpening penalties for rule-breakers, such as administering lifetime bans on coaches caught cheating.

The recommendations did not address players monetizing their likeness, or when schools and individuals implicated in the current FBI probe would be punished.

“I don’t think it fell short in any dimension,” Kaler said. “I think the significant change in the one-and-done rule is important. I think recognizing the need to bring some organization, structure and transparency into the summer ball activities is important. I think communicating with the apparel companies about the need to be transparent and how those funds are allocated is important. I think the commitment to the academic pathway for students if they do choose to go pro they can come back and finish their degree is important. … Taken together they will in fact move the dial on health of men’s basketball.”

http://www.startribune.com/minnesot...ketball-changes-before-next-season/480868881/

Go Gophers!!

Hopefully, chairman Kaler accomplishes the groups ideals and college basketball gets better than it already is.

Top Bottom