Pitino on scheduling B12 opponent next year US Bank Stadium, transfers & more

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Q&A with Marcus:

Q: I’ve been hearing a possible Big 12 opponent for you next season as a warmup game at U.S. Bank Stadium. Has anything been finalized yet?

A: We’re working on it right now. When the Big Ten changed from 18-20 games it through a bit of a wrench into the nonconference portion of trying to figure out the schedule. We’re working through that. I want it to be a good, quality opponent for sure. I think it’s a good opportunity for our fans to get into that stadium and see basketball. It’s going to be really cool. It’s a good opportunity for us to play a quality neutral site opponent. Just trying to figure it all out and put the pieces together. We have to play two Big Ten games in early December, so we’re trying to figure everything out there.

Q: Does it really count as a neutral site game being that it’s in Minneapolis?

A: We looked into that because I wasn’t sure what the rules were, but it would be a neutral site game. I’m not sure how many teams will be willing to play us there in the future (chuckle).

Q: What’s your view on transfers becoming so rampant in college basketball?

A: Coaches get real sensitive when people question transfers just because everyone wants to know when guys leave what’s wrong with your program. I just think it’s part of the world we’re living in right now. The transfer numbers are really high. It doesn’t offend me. Just go and find the right fit. Most kids are giving it two years instead of four and reevaluate everything. When you do get a transfer it’s exciting because they usually have learned from their previous stops. They can normally flourish if you get the right ones.

Q: Graduate transfers are like gold for some teams, right?

A: Grad transfers are interesting because they’re a little bit different. You’re only getting them for one year, so you have to make sure it’s the right fit. With Akeem (Springs last year), we needed him to play a lot. We needed Akeem’s leadership. You never know what you’re getting from the intangible part of it, but Akeem really impacted our program just by the way he acted in the locker room. He stayed after shooting shots and lived in the gym. He was all business. If they see playing time there for them they can really be focused on the next step.

Q: Could you see a time when transfers are allowed by the NCAA to play immediately?

A: I think it’s going that way. I really do. My thing is this: I don’t agree with it, because I definitely think it’s going to be bad for our game. I think everybody is just going to want to transfer after one year. I just think that the side of it is going to be crazy. I understand why people want to do it. These student-athletes have rights and it’s hard. But it’s going that way. I don’t think it’s a matter of if it’s going to happen but when it’s going to happen. So it’s going to be a lot of transfers. Your roster is going to be influx. At the end of the day, it’s normal for everyone to question where they’re at. It’s a big decision. Whenever you’re recruiting at the end of the day it’s about if they fit your style of play and are comfortable in the environment you’re building. Normally, if you’re not transparent it’s going to blow up in your face eventually. So for us, it’s all about communicating with the parents and coaches and being very truthful with where you see their son or player fitting into your program.

http://www.startribune.com/richard-...higan-his-father-coaching-and-more/478456023/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom