STrib: Pitino and Fleck land highly rated recruiting classes in the same year

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

For the first time in a decade, the Gophers basketball and football programs have signed top-30 recruiting classes in the same year.

The 2008 classes for football and men’s basketball were among the best in the country. The same can be said about the classes Gophers basketball coach Richard Pitino and football coach P.J. Fleck have put together for 2018.

Fleck’s 2018 football recruiting class on the first-ever early football signing day was ranked 29th nationally and sixth in the Big Ten on Wednesday afternoon. It was the first time the program had the highest-ranked recruiting class in the Big Ten West Division, including over rivals like Wisconsin and Iowa.

“I know he’s really excited. And not just from a ranking standpoint,” Pitino said at his Wednesday press conference in preparation for Oral Roberts. “Again, (rankings are) always hard to project. I know he’s excited about what his staff was able to do. The type of people he brought in with time. He’ll develop those guys. They’ll fit what they’re trying to do.”

After the early signing period for basketball in November, Pitino made a splash locally and received high marks nationally for a landing Cretin-Derham Hall center Daniel Oturu, DeLaSalle guard Gabe Kalscheur and Orono forward Jarvis Omersa. Oturu, Kalscheur and Omersa joined for a 2018 basketball recruiting class ranked 27th by 247Sports.com.

“The three guys we’ve signed, I don’t know where we’re ranked, but we feel like we got a really good class,” Pitino said. “So it’s an exciting time for football and basketball.”

http://www.startribune.com/pitino-a...ecruiting-classes-in-the-same-year/465533403/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom