Sid Q&A with Kaler: Talks Pitino, one-and-done rule and more

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

Q The basketball program appears to be coming back.

A [Richard Pitino] has them back. Certainly the injury to [Eric] Curry was not a good one, and hopefully he’ll continue to excel in the classroom and get himself back healthy for next year and have a medical redshirt for him. But you look down in the post where Reggie Lynch is, they take up a lot of room down by the post, and [Jordan] Murphy and Lynch are occupying a lot of the paint. Obviously [Nate] Mason is one of the best if not the best in the Big Ten and the country. You have [Isaiah] Washington, who has a flair for the ball as a freshman. Amir Coffey is absolutely superb and they have a team that is pretty formidable.

Q How do you feel about the different basketball issues and someone like Rick Pitino getting fired from Louisville, how do you help with those kind of situations here?

A I think we’re in kind of an interesting space in the NCAA between the AAU amateur high school age organization that feeds the NCAA, and the NBA, of course, which takes the best players out of the NCAA. I think we need conversations about what those relationships look like.

Q The one-and-done rule with the NBA seems to be a failure.

A I’m not a member of the [Condoleezza] Rice commission, but as the chair of the [NCAA Division I board of directors] we will be charged with implementing recommendations that they make. I would be certainly surprised if there’s not some conversations about that one-and-done rule, which is a reflection of the age limit that the NBA has imposed for draft eligibility.

http://www.startribune.com/erick-ka...ys-in-future-for-gophers-athletics/461555863/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom