STrib: Gophers' Jordan Murphy being rewarded for commitment to program

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

During a six-game stretch of single-digit scoring last season, Murphy would go back to his dorm and watch game video of himself. He noticed his head was often down, giving off poor body language. Now he plays with his head up, with consistent energy.

He no longer gets called Low-Motor Murph.

"It's just a confidence level," Pitino said. "You got guys in the locker room who went through a very difficult season [in 2015] and didn't run and hide. They didn't transfer. They stuck with it. As challenging as that is for anybody, it's good for everybody. I just think Jordan is in a good place emotionally right now."

For the second straight summer, Murphy stayed in Minnesota and became a gym rat. He never missed a workout, weightlifting session or practice. He played in every game at the local Twin Cities Pro-Am, which included holding his own against Timberwolves center Cole Aldrich and former Gopher Trevor Mbakwe.

"I could tell he was locked in and focused this summer," Mbakwe said. "You could definitely tell this summer he had that killer mind-set, so it doesn't surprise me that he's playing at this level right now."

The player who once contemplated transferring is now fully committed and powering Minnesota's high Big Ten expectations.

"It helped me grow as a person and as a player," Murphy said. "That really helped me grow, that gym-rat and stay-in-the-gym mentality that you need to have in order to be successful."

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-jordan-murphy-being-rewarded-for-commitment-to-program/461565573/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom