STrib: Gophers let Isaiah Washington know that "every freshman" has bad games

BleedGopher

Reaction score
STrib: Gophers let Isaiah Washington know that "every freshman" has bad games

per Marcus:

With the One-and-Done era in full swing in college basketball, it’s pretty common place to see high-profile freshmen become starters as soon as they arrive on campus.

On veteran teams that isn’t always the case. Minnesota is a good example.

Freshman Isaiah Washington started for the first time in Wednesday’s 86-81 loss to No. 10 Miami (Fla.). And it only happened because junior starting guard Dupree McBrayer was sidelined with a leg infection.

Washington had 14 points on 5-for-17 shooting with five turnovers against the Hurricanes. As Gophers coach Richard Pitino and his teammates pointed out, Washington isn’t the first and won’t be the last freshman to struggle mightily at times during the first year in college.

It’s part of the growing process.

“I told him, Nate (Mason) had days like these,” Pitino said. “Dupree, (Jordan) Murphy. All the older guys have had days like you just had. Every freshmen in the country has that. But we had to play him, because we didn’t have a lot of depth at the guard spot.”

In 2013, Mason didn’t get into the starting lineup until Big Ten play. He had 17 points and four assists in his first career start in a loss against Iowa. But in the next eight games, Mason averaged just 7.1 points on 27.4 percent shooting from the field. He also returned to his role as a backup point guard while he figured things out.

That’s why Mason was the perfect teammate to talk to about Washington getting over a bad game.

“I think he’s going to recover,” Mason said. “He’s going to have to recover, because we don’t know how long Dupree is out. He’s going to be able to play major minutes. And he’s going to learn from this game and probably the next game as well. But we’re going to need him.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...-that-every-freshmen-has-bad-games/461091333/

Go Gophers!!

per Marcus:

With the One-and-Done era in full swing in college basketball, it’s pretty common place to see high-profile freshmen become starters as soon as they arrive on campus.

On veteran teams that isn’t always the case. Minnesota is a good example.

Freshman Isaiah Washington started for the first time in Wednesday’s 86-81 loss to No. 10 Miami (Fla.). And it only happened because junior starting guard Dupree McBrayer was sidelined with a leg infection.

Washington had 14 points on 5-for-17 shooting with five turnovers against the Hurricanes. As Gophers coach Richard Pitino and his teammates pointed out, Washington isn’t the first and won’t be the last freshman to struggle mightily at times during the first year in college.

It’s part of the growing process.

“I told him, Nate (Mason) had days like these,” Pitino said. “Dupree, (Jordan) Murphy. All the older guys have had days like you just had. Every freshmen in the country has that. But we had to play him, because we didn’t have a lot of depth at the guard spot.”

In 2013, Mason didn’t get into the starting lineup until Big Ten play. He had 17 points and four assists in his first career start in a loss against Iowa. But in the next eight games, Mason averaged just 7.1 points on 27.4 percent shooting from the field. He also returned to his role as a backup point guard while he figured things out.

That’s why Mason was the perfect teammate to talk to about Washington getting over a bad game.

“I think he’s going to recover,” Mason said. “He’s going to have to recover, because we don’t know how long Dupree is out. He’s going to be able to play major minutes. And he’s going to learn from this game and probably the next game as well. But we’re going to need him.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...-that-every-freshmen-has-bad-games/461091333/

Go Gophers!!
He's got the tools. Everything that has gone wrong for him is within his power to correct. I expect him to have a great career here.

I know it’s early but I would easily take Wright and Davison over Washington and Harris.

I know it’s early but I would easily take Wright and Davison over Washington and Harris.

The Gophers tried to take Tum Tum Nairn over Mason and most would've made the trade after their freshman year.

This is your yearly post? Look forward to your great insights next year with much anticipation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I could see the argument for Wright... but Davison has already had two dislocated shoulders(Same shoulder twice). That is a chronic type of injury that is likely to follow him during his entire career.

No reason for anyone to get snippy. I am only saying that so far Wright and Davison have put up far superior stats to Washington and Harris. I think Wright is averaging 15 points, 4 rebs, and 4 assists. Davison so far has been Becky’s second best player. There is no doubt Washington is very talented but I don’t think it is unreasonable to say that the Gophs would be better right now with Wright and Davison over Wash and Harris. Whether that’s the case 2 years from now remains to be seen.

No reason for anyone to get snippy. I am only saying that so far Wright and Davison have put up far superior stats to Washington and Harris. I think Wright is averaging 15 points, 4 rebs, and 4 assists. Davison so far has been Becky’s second best player. There is no doubt Washington is very talented but I don’t think it is unreasonable to say that the Gophs would be better right now with Wright and Davison over Wash and Harris. Whether that’s the case 2 years from now remains to be seen.

Completely different situations. Washington plays behind Mason. Davison is forced to play a lot of minutes as is Wright.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This hot take is getting old real fast. I haven't watched Wright yet, but I would want nothing to do with Davison shotty shoulder, regardless of how well he's looked at times for the Badgers. That thing is going to be an issue for his whole career it looks like.

Top Bottom