STrib: Jelly shines at home

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

Jelly shines at home

Freshman guard Isaiah Washington had groups of young fans following his every move in warmups behind the basket before Saturday’s game.

Several players and coaches from his old youth team at Milbank Community Center in New York were in attendance. They wore Milbank and Gophers gear to support Washington, who gained a massive following as New York’s prep player of the year and co-founder of the Jelly Fam movement.

Washington was instrumental in keeping the Gophers ahead against Alabama after Nate Mason was ejected with 14 minutes left. The Harlem native finished with eight of his 14 points in the second half, shooting 7-for-15 in 26 minutes.

http://www.startribune.com/unemploy...-son-likes-what-he-sees-in-gophers/460005003/

Go Gophers!!

I couldn't help but notice how they almost blew a substantial lead while playing 5 on 3, with Sexton wreaking havoc.

In all of those minutes, Washington took 15 shots, while collecting 2 assists and 0 rebounds.

Maybe I don't get "shining."

He has incredible talent but right now he is not playing in the flow of the offense. Too much running and gunning with him. Also, his defense is marginal at best because it's not flashy enough for him. I hope he lets Pitino and other coaches work with him as he could be one of the best PG's .

Yeah 'shine' isn't the right word. He has potential but he hasn't played well this season at all.

I thought he played well in the 5-5 portion of the practice, I mean game.

Yeah 'shine' isn't the right word. He has potential but he hasn't played well this season at all.

I think he's played about expected. I think some had/have unrealistic expectations for him in his freshmen year, given the hype surrounding him. In my opinion, he is the most important player on this roster for the future of the program, whether good or bad. Lets hope he takes some steps forward this year...whether they be baby steps, or long steps. I would consider this last game a step in the right direction. The 5v3 crap should not be taken in to account, and I think he was playing well before that. During the 5v3, it seemed Pitino was instructing his team to play slow, and run the clock, and settle for the open 3. I'm sure if they played up tempo, Isaiah could have shined...but being 5v3, I don't think that would count for much either.

Top Bottom