Murphy going Pro?

WhoFellDownTheGopherHole?

Reaction score
So now that announcers are saying this during live broadcasts, i guess it's a thing. What do Gopher fans think about Jordan Murphy going pro after this season?

He has been unreal. If he plays this well all year I guarantee he'd get drafted (albeit second round). He might be a late first round pick if he stays one more year.

He is staggeringly good this year compared to last year.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

My guess is that if he keeps playing at a similar high level throughout the season that he will put his name in the draft at seasons end. Since he’s a junior he doesn’t have anything to lose by doing this & he can go through the process and get feedback on his draft status. I would be surprised if he actually stayed in the draft though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hard to draft a 6'6 PF. He can't play SF. He is really good. Could be a national player of the year candidate next year (Or this year if he keeps the current pace).

Classic great college player.

Draymon Green used to bring the ball up the court at times. Completely different players.

I agree, just saying that it is possible to have success as a smaller forward. I'd argue that Murphy is a better rebounder than Green was in College at this point.

I think he is a reasonable pro prospect but probably not a first rounder unless the Gophers make a huge run and he keeps this up. At some level of production he would force his way into round 1.

He should go pro if likely to be drafted round 1 and come back if not. Regardless, it's pretty certain he's going to wind up a great college player.

I agree, just saying that it is possible to have success as a smaller forward. I'd argue that Murphy is a better rebounder than Green was in College at this point.

That’s true. But 6’6 guys who don’t have a perimeter game are less valuable than 6’6 guys who do...even if the guy who doesn’t has a better rebounding number.

To me a better comparison would be Glen Davis. But even he is 6’9

Pro's will be more intrigued by his length than his height . How will he grade as a shooter and as a defender ? I know this : he us one hell of a college player, great chance at 1st team all american.

Depends on the tournament run, if they make top 8 or so. He could be a top 30 pick.

And, I suspect that his listed height is generous. A 6'5" guy who mainly scores in and around the post is going to have a lot harder time in the pros.

I could see him making an NBA team as an energy guy off the bench, but I would be surprised if he is a 1st-round draft choice.

My take - enjoy him while he is at the U.

FWIW, Richard Coffey, one of the best rebounders in Gopher history, played 52 games in his entire NBA career. Murphy is a better scorer than Coffey, but Coffey to this day is the best pure rebounder the Gophers have had in the modern era.

I disagree. I would say there’s certainly an outside shot he gets drafted

Cool, disagree. It’s a message board.
Murphy is a monster and I’m 100% glad he’s ours, but I don’t see him in the NBA.

Depends on the tournament run, if they make top 8 or so. He could be a top 30 pick.

This makes no sense. So the NBA will find some random guy in Latvia but a major conference player who has 30+ televised games needs a “tourney run” to be found?

Draymond green was overweight during his senior year and showed enough to get drafted. Murphy has as much talent but needs more of a true jump shot and lateral quickness. Murph needs another year.

These are not mutually inclusive. A tournament run means very little, in most cases, for one's draft stock. If we go to the elite 8, it's likely because the entire team is playing well. That's just how this squad is built. There is no Colin Sexton.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

People's opinions on whether or not he'll physically be able to be an NBA All-Star is irrelevant. If he plays this way all year, he'll get drafted, and he'll likely never have a better chance. So, of course he'll go if the opportunity is there.

This makes no sense. So the NBA will find some random guy in Latvia but a major conference player who has 30+ televised games needs a “tourney run” to be found?

I don't know, ask Tyus Jones.

Agree. He needs to have a very good 3 point shot at his size to make it in the NBA.

Irrelevant. A lot of guys that get drafted don't make it in the NBA. Doesn't mean that he will not choose to go pro after this year.

If he plays this way all year, he'll get drafted, and he'll likely never have a better chance.

If guys like Dillon Brooks, Sindarius Thornwell, Monte Morris, and Nigel Williams-Gross are drafted in the second half of the second round, what makes you think Murphy would be drafted at all?

If he can develop his jumper the next year I don’t see why he can’t play SF at the next level. His handle has improved exponentially and his shooting motion isn’t that bad actually. Pretty quick trigger and doesn’t need to get that high off the ground.

There is very little correlation between college production and draft stock. You have to be an absolute physical freak to make an NBA roster, let alone stick around and ever play significant minutes. There are very rare exceptions - someone like Tyus Jones, who is going to continue to carve out a nice little career for himself because his basketball IQ is otherworldly and it somewhat compensates for his physical shortcomings.

If Murphy were 6'10", he'd be a great candidate to go pro after this year, or would possibly be there already. Of course, the catch-22 is that he would've never come here in the first place if he were 6'10".

Let's enjoy the players we have while they're here and not do the typical passive-aggressive Minnesota thing where we fret and worry about things we have no control over. This is a well-constructed roster that is greater than the sum of its parts. The only current player with any reasonable chance of being drafted early is Coffey, and he has a long way to go in the assertiveness/aggressiveness department before that can ever be a reality.

Top Bottom