STrib: Richard Pitino knows Gophers AD Mark Coyle has his back

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

Richard Pitino often walks into the Bierman Athletic Complex and sends a text message to see what his boss is doing and asks if they can meet up to chat.

Their talks are not always about Gophers basketball. They might be about family life or whatever else is on their minds.

In his first year as athletic director, Mark Coyle was there for Pitino, during good times, bad times or when his young coach just needed to talk to someone he could trust.

The man who some thought could fire Pitino has become his biggest supporter and advocate.

“If I called him, he called me right back,” Pitino said. “I told him I didn’t need him cheering me on in the stands. I just wanted to have a personal relationship with him. He understands what it takes to win at this level. He just understands we need support.”

With recruiting on the uptick and a new facility opening in January, Pitino can see himself here a long time as the program takes another step forward. But he said the most important thing is having a close relationship with his AD.

“It’s a tough profession we’re in, and he realizes that,” Pitino said. “I think he’s really, really grown. When Mark first got here he was really quiet and reserved. He was just feeling things out, and we all deal with that. He’s just really comfortable with where he’s at. I love it here. But if you don’t have a great AD — all that stuff doesn’t matter. And I got a great AD.”

http://www.startribune.com/richard-pitino-knows-gophers-ad-mark-coyle-has-his-back/458528483/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom