STrib: Gophers name Mason and Murphy captains

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

With the Gophers men’s basketball season getting underway in Friday’s opener against South Carolina Upstate, the team will look to Nate Mason and Jordan Murphy to lead the way.

Minnesota coach Richard Pitino announced Thursday that Mason, a senior point guard, and Murphy, a junior forward, were named team captains for the 2017-18 season.

“It’s a blessing,” Mason said. “I’m happy that the guys voted me as a captain. So I’m just trying to go out there and lead them to the best and try to get the best out of them in every game. I think coach said a while ago, it’s easier for them to listen to another player rather than a coach. So I’m just trying to be that extra coach on the floor, where I can talk to guys the right way as a teammate and as a friend.”

Murphy dodged being a leader earlier in this career, but he embraced the role this season, Pitino said.

“He’s not afraid to speak up,” Pitino said. “The No. 1 thing you have to do if you want to be a leader is you’ve got to produce first from an effort standpoint every single day. If you don’t do that it doesn’t matter what you say, your credibility nobody is going to listen to you. You’ve got to do the right things off the court. You’ve got to do the right things in class. Jordan has done that. He works hard every day in practice. He’s worked on his game. Jordan Murphy has absolutely become a really good leader.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...467223/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=dlvr.it

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom