***OFFICIAL CONCORDIA AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!!***

Stan

Reaction score
FINALLY HOOPS SEASON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Expectations are high, the talent is there, but is the depth? We'll begin to find out tonight in the exhibition opener vs cross-town foe Concordia.

The scrimmage was fun, this is the next step with live-action vs another squad.

GET 'ER DONE PITINO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone else not getting the game on BTN plus/BTN2Go?

EDIT: it's loading perfectly now

Go Gophers!

Fine here - much better announcers than the past few years - but sadly no running score on the screen.

I know our opponent is Concordia, but Fitzgerald looks bigger than I was expecting. Pleasant suprise

IW11 first FT attempts were awful.. Murphy looks like a different player - very confident in his scoring..18 in the 1st half. Last years players all look like they have filled out and added lbs... Reggie looks huge. IW is bigger and more filled out than most freshmen. Dupree looks confident. Nate and Amir look good. But this is against Concordia St Paul after all....

Guessing the score as BT Plus isn't showing (on my screen) a running score .. but I'm going to guess it's about 70 - 35.

Jelly tends to throw his FT's not shoot them softly - 0 for 4 I believe.

Harris looks like a pure shooter -- he may help this team.

106 today I don't care who it's against..cracking triple digits effortlessly is fun to watch

I was probably most pleasantly surprised with Jamir Harris. He seemed very confident with the ball and active on defense. He’s not just a spot up shooter.

Hopefully the free throws for IW are just a temporary case of the yips. Given the strengths of his game (taking people off the dribble and getting to the rim), making a high percentage of free throws could make him great, and elevate others around him. If he consistently struggles from the line, he may not reach the level we were all hoping/anticipating.

Overall, pretty encouraging.

Overall
Note this was written before looking at stats for the game, and is based entirely off how I thought the gophers looked from my couch. First and foremost, this is an exhibition against Concordia St. P, so contextualize it. We should beat a D2 school handily (and did!). I wanted to just get a close look at the new look team, so I purposely avoided twitter/social media during the game so I would focus closely on the game. Here are my thoughts:

This team is damn good 1-8 or 9 on the depth chart, but will struggle to live up to expectations will any major injuries. The score with the starting lineup in was ridiculously in our favor. It was like 6 mins in and the game was over and we took our foot off the gas. We could have blow them out by a lot more, but I am happy the backups got a ton of minutes. MVP was Murph. For an exhibition game (against a D2 school nonetheless), there were a lot of fans there compared to recent years, not that this should be a shock with us being #15. Hopefully the barn will be rocking all year!!

Murph
They couldn't stop him tonight if they tried. Murphy looks ripped, like STACCCKKKEED. Also looks more composed, and less prone to dribbling into a turnover. He is going to be an absolute monster this year. Like all-conference 17 and 10 beast mode type monster. He reminds me of Draymond Green off the top of my head. I think he will be our MVP at the end of the year. Will be a pro.

Nate
Nate is really good. Like really good. Played up to what I expected (expectations are high). He will be 1st team all-conference this year, vying for POY. Took good shots and made good passes, even if he didn't get the assist directly.

Reg
Didn't foul, though their players couldn't and wouldn't test his size. Had a few prototypical blocks. Solid on offense.

Dup
McBrayer was very solid but not spectacular. Which I love! With Washington, Murph, Mason, and to a certain extent Coffey as ball dominant playmakers, it was great to see him take what the offense gave him and not force things. Very under the radar night.

Amir
Looks stronger, more toned if anything. Still could use more girth. Feel like he listened to all the off season talk about him needing to be more assertive in the offense. Felt like this lead to him forcing it a few times early in the game, where he put his head down and drove into multiple defenders on his way to the basket, leading to turnovers or bad shots. Settled down as the game went on. Nailed a couple threes. Still a great player, don't mean to diminish the other facets of his game like rebounding, playmaking, and passing ability (tons of assists tonight!!!). Stock still rising with him and he will be great this year, no doubt!

Jelly
Forced it far too often, but looked really, really good at times. It's game 1 tho. If he learns (which I think he will) to take what is there, he will be great. Played some solid defense. Think he will contribute a ton this year! Welcome to the era of the#Jellygoph :) Can't wait!

Harris
Looks tiny. Same height and slimmer than Washington IMO on TV. Played confident though, nailed a NBA range three, and took it to the cup fearlessly once or twice.

Fitz
Super impressed with him. Looked explosive. Rebounds. Plays solid D. One thing to note, his jump shot is UUGLY. He has a big hitch to it. I hope he sticks to the painted area…. Going to be a critical player this year, but if he can play like he did tonight against legit competition, watch out Big 10! Very happy to have him.

I was very impressed with Murphy. He looked good. We're going to be good as long as him and Reggie can stay on the floor. I was not overly impressed with Fitzgerald and yes, that jumper is unbelievably ugly. It's like a cross between an Anthony Mason free throw and Bill Cartwright.

Overall
Note this was written before looking at stats for the game, and is based entirely off how I thought the gophers looked from my couch. I wanted to just get a close look at the new look team, so I purposely avoided twitter and social media during the game. Here are my thoughts:

This team is damn good 1-8 on the depth chart, but will struggle to live up to expectations will any major injuries. The score with the starting lineup in was ridiculously in our favor. It was like 6 mins in and the game was over and we took our foot off the gas. We could have blow them out by a lot more, but I am happy the backups got a ton of minutes. MVP was Murph. For an exhibition game (against a D2 school nonetheless), there were a lot of fans there compared to recent years, not that this should be a shock with us being #15. Hopefully the barn will be rocking all year!!

Murph
They couldn't stop him tonight if they tried. Murphy looks ripped, like stacked. He is going to be an absolute monster this year. Like all-conference 17 and 10 beast mode type monster. He reminds me of Draymond Green off the top of my head. I think he will be our MVP at the end of the year. Will be a pro.

Nate
Nate is really good. Like really good. Played up to what I expected (expectations are high). He will be 1st team all-conference this year, vying for POY. Took good shots and made good passes, even if he didn't get the assist directly.

Reg
Didn't foul, though their players couldn't and wouldn't test his size. Had a few prototypical blocks. Solid on offense.

Dup
McBrayer was very solid but not spectacular. Which I love! With Washington, Murph, Mason, and to a certain extent Coffey as ball dominant playmakers, it was great to see him take what the offense gave him and not force things. Very under the radar night.

Amir
Looks stronger, more toned if anything. Still could use more girth. Feel like he listened to all the off season talk about him needing to be more assertive in the offense. Felt like this lead to him forcing it a few times early in the game, where he put his head down and drove into multiple defenders on his way to the basket, leading to turnovers or bad shots. Settled down as the game went on. Nailed a couple threes. Still a great player, don't mean to diminish the other facets of his game like rebounding, playmaking, and passing ability (tons of assists tonight!!!). Stock still rising with him and he will be great this year, no doubt!

Jelly
Forced it far too often, but looked really, really good at times. It's game 1 tho. If he learns (which I think he will) to take what is there, he will be great. Played some solid defense. Think he will contribute a ton this year! Welcome to the era of the#Jellygoph :) Can't wait!

Harris
Looks tiny. Same height and slimmer than Washington IMO on TV. Played confident though, nailed a NBA range three, and took it to the cup fearlessly once or twice.

Fitz
Super impressed with him. Looked explosive. Rebounds. Plays solid D. One thing to note, his jump shot is UUGLY. I hope he sticks to the painted area…. Going to be a critical player this year, but if he can play like he did tonight against legit coemption, watch out Big 10!

Great recap and analysis. Thanks!

Overall
Note this was written before looking at stats for the game, and is based entirely off how I thought the gophers looked from my couch. First and foremost, this is an exhibition against Concordia St. P, so contextualize it. We should beat a D2 school handily (and did!). I wanted to just get a close look at the new look team, so I purposely avoided twitter/social media during the game so I would focus closely on the game. Here are my thoughts:

This team is damn good 1-8 on the depth chart, but will struggle to live up to expectations will any major injuries. The score with the starting lineup in was ridiculously in our favor. It was like 6 mins in and the game was over and we took our foot off the gas. We could have blow them out by a lot more, but I am happy the backups got a ton of minutes. MVP was Murph. For an exhibition game (against a D2 school nonetheless), there were a lot of fans there compared to recent years, not that this should be a shock with us being #15. Hopefully the barn will be rocking all year!!

Murph
They couldn't stop him tonight if they tried. Murphy looks ripped, like STACCCKKKEED. Also looks more composed, and less prone to dribbling into a turnover. He is going to be an absolute monster this year. Like all-conference 17 and 10 beast mode type monster. He reminds me of Draymond Green off the top of my head. I think he will be our MVP at the end of the year. Will be a pro.

Nate

Reg

Dup

Amir

Jelly

Harris

Fitz
Super impressed with him. Looked explosive. Rebounds. Plays solid D. One thing to note, his jump shot is UUGLY. I hope he sticks to the painted area…. Going to be a critical player this year, but if he can play like he did tonight against legit coemption, watch out Big 10!

Awesome recap!!!!

ForecastingAWin-

Harris is MUCH thicker than IW, it's not even close.

Disagree on Fitz shot, it has a little awkwardness to it, but he seems like a decent shooter. I'd say fire away.

ForecastingAWin-

Disagree on Fitz shot, it has a little awkwardness to it, but he seems like a decent shooter. I'd say fire away.

Both points are totally fair, I certainly am not saying I am correct. Fitz did hit a long range shot or two, and has been known as a shooter. Kevin Martin's shot is ugly as can be, but he is lethal after all... Huh, I will have to pay closer attention to Washington/Harris next game. I swore Wash looked bigger. Could be wrong tho!

Starters all have improved over last year and looked good. Washington needs to be stronger on the defensive end. Had some really nice assists tonight but did force it at times. Liked what I saw from Harris. He's a shooter but I thought he played good D. Hurt has gotten bigger and better and isn't afraid to get down and board. I agree that Fitzgerald's jump shot is ugly but really liked him on the defensive end and rebounding. Fitzgerald and Hurt will combine to take the minutes that Curry would have had.

I was very impressed with Murphy. He looked good. We're going to be good as long as him and Reggie can stay on the floor. I was not overly impressed with Fitzgerald and yes, that jumper is unbelievably ugly. It's like a cross between an Anthony Mason free throw and Bill Cartwright.

More like Hoss Cartwright.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ForecastingAWin-

Agree with both perspectives. I watched him closely during the scrimmage shoot-around, and while his shot looks funny, he made a lot of them. I think the proof is in the pudding. I don’t really care how awkward a shot looks, as long as it goes in! Lynch has that really odd hook shot (more of a shot-put style), but darned if he doesn’t make a high percentage of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom