STrib: Jordan Murphy wants to take big step foward for Gophers

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

The largest player in Big Ten basketball is Purdue’s Isaac Haas. He stands 7-2 and weighs nearly 300 pounds.

A player more than 50 pounds lighter and more than a half-foot shorter, however, has left an extra-large impression over the years on the Big Ten’s biggest body.

“Jordan Murphy is a big-bodied guy, even though he doesn’t quite look like it,” Haas recalled at Big Ten Media Day earlier this month in New York. “He’s very strong and very bouncy. I think it makes him a very elite player.”

“I’ve shown Coach that I can have more offensive responsibility, as well as defense responsibility,” Murphy said. “[Three-point shooting] really stretches the floor and gives me a lot more options to drive. I’ve been working on my jump shot a lot. It’s not necessarily a go-to for me, but it’s something in my back pocket I can keep just in case.”

Pitino said last season that Murphy was not a good scorer, so they rarely ran plays to get him the ball. Expect the opposite this season.

“He looks really good right now,” Pitino said. “He’s getting better. I said that [he was not good offensively] last year, and I remember reading it and not liking how that looks.

“My point was he wasn’t a natural scorer at the time. I think he’s starting to become that. It’s not as much from just rebounds and dunks. Now we’re getting pretty comfortable throwing it in there, with him driving to the basket [and shooting outside]. He’s evolving into that.”

http://www.startribune.com/jordan-murphy-wants-to-take-big-step-foward-for-gophers/454590543/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom